Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/5/2014 3:16:21 PM EDT
RFT USA has a "kit" out now for the m92/m85 that lets you add a rail, much like the stormwerkz, to your M92/M85. The major difference that I see is that the stormwerkz has four screws from underneath, and the RFT has two that thread in from the top. Which can be an advantage if your pistol doesn't have clearance for the button head screws that the stormwerkz rail uses. It also eliminates the chances of a screw coming loose and stopping the bolt carrier. The obvious disadvantage is that it only uses two screws, and top cover being tapped is the only thing holding it.

The RFT is more expensive ($65 vs $40), but it comes with a "jig" to aid in drilling, the drill bit, tap and all.

I have decided I am probably going with one or the other, unless Manticore Arms blows my mind with their handguard/optics mount setup.

RFT USA mount

Stormwerkz
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#1]
the reason why i never considered those type of rails is because there on the dust cover & i heard every time its time to clean or open the cover your optic loses zero.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the reason why i never considered those type of rails is because there on the dust cover & i heard every time its time to clean or open the cover your optic loses zero.
View Quote

If that is the case your iron sights would never work either.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 1:51:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

My top cover seems to lock down tight with zero movement. I really don't think I'm going to have an issue with RTZ.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The stormwerkz one fits the front and rear contour of the available space better and, therefor, offers a couple of extra slots. Also, it looks cleaner imo because of the way it matches the contour in the front and rear. It also has several more bolts holding it down which is a plus in my mind.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The stormwerkz one fits the front and rear contour of the available space better and, therefor, offers a couple of extra slots. Also, it looks cleaner imo because of the way it matches the contour in the front and rear. It also has several more bolts holding it down which is a plus in my mind.
View Quote

A big +1 on that!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I put in an order for the RFT mount. Looking at Stormwerkz and RFT mounts in pics it appears the RFT version sits a little lower from what I can tell.
Plus in the RFT installation video near the very end he mounts a TRS-25 and comments you can see the sights through it.

I'm planning on sticking a Primary Arms micro dot on my M92 so hopefully I can squeeze a little co-witness out of this setup.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I just ordered the RFT kit it looks like a good low profile solution.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just installed mine today. It sadly does not co-witness with my fixed base PA MD.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I just installed mine today. It sadly does not co-witness with my fixed base PA MD.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides that how is it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Besides that how is it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides that how is it?

Seems alright. The kit worked like it should and I had no issues with installation.
The rail and the drill guide have a good amount of wiggle room in regards to positioning so if you want to avoid a spot weld you can adjust it before drilling.
The rail itself is aluminum and fits snugly on top of the hinge bracket before I screwed it on.
The screws extend passed the dust cover but I've noticed no contact with the carrier.

I plan on taking the pistol out to the range this weekend to function test and zero so I'll update if I notice any issues with it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Are there issues with screw head clearance with the M92s?

I'm leaning towards the RFT for a few reasons, I like how it mounts better with 2 screws from the top instead of 4 from the bottom.  There is plenty of metal there to tap.  Clearance issues with the Stormwerkz rail would push me towards the RFT.  I do like the look of the Storm rail better though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm leaning towards the RFT for a few reasons, I like how it mounts better with 2 screws from the top instead of 4 from the bottom.  There is plenty of metal there to tap.  Clearance issues with the Stormwerkz rail would push me towards the RFT.  I do like the look of the Storm rail better though.
View Quote

Of close to 1k mounts sold I haven't heard from any customer regarding the screw heads interfering with the carrier.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Of close to 1k mounts sold I haven't heard from any customer regarding the screw heads interfering with the carrier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have only read of one occurrence.  Do you know how much clearance is between the heads and carrier?

Also, are you able to provide an install jig similar to RFT?  
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have only read of one occurrence.  Do you know how much clearance is between the heads and carrier?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will measure the clearance this weekend,

The mount is the fixture:
Here is the easy way to install the mount.
The first thing to do is to strip the pistol down so it is lighter to work with.
Remove the bolt carrier, forearms, stocks, etc.

-Take a light colored crayon or similar marking stick and highlight the strap that the mount fits on,between the pivot point and rear sight.

-Get a small drill bit or piece of wire that just slips through the tapped holes in the mount.

-sit the mount in place on the cover and spin the drill bit or punch in the holes to make a mark in the crayon so you can see where to drill.

-Now rest the cover over a piece of wood so the wood is supporting the inside of the cover and use a prick punch or center punch to make divots where the marks in the crayon are.

-Drill the holes(hand drill works fine), remember they are just through holes for the screws, not super critical as long as the screws pass though, the mount is pulled down onto the top cover with the screws.
Use cutting oil and go slow with the drill, taking a little longer will make it easier on the drill bit.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just an update: I do in fact get co-witness....barely. Using the 400m rear sight you can just see the front sight post through the rear sight.
I had a hell of a time trying to get this with my cellphone camera. The camera was resting just behind the recoil spring guide rod so if your eyes are further back its a little more difficult to make out in real life but it is there.

I didn't zero 400m irons with the optic on at the range as I just found out I tonight could cowitness while putting the rifle back together.
If I hit the 400m rear sight and front sight post with some high visibility color paint it would probably be easier to pick up against the black of the micro dot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:43:58 AM EDT
[#16]
When will you get more rails in stock?
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

The StormWerkz Rails went out to anodize yesterday, 4/28.
They should be back the end of this week or early next week.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great, I'm close to ordering one.  Did you have a chance this weekend to check the clearance?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Out of curiosity I put some Duct Seal Compound on my bolt carrier and closed the top cover.  My Stormwerkz mount is installed using all 4 machine screws in place with no marks on the carrier.

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 4:46:13 AM EDT
[#20]
How well does this rail hold it's zero?
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Great, I'm close to ordering one.  Did you have a chance this weekend to check the clearance?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife had a baby this week which slowed things down a bit, will have the measurement Sunday.
Mounts are back in stock.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 12:17:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got the stormwerkz on mine and there is no clearance issues.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I measured the one here and the clearance is 40 thousands
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nm.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top