Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm... what the price for the top cover with the handguard with free shipping?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#4]
$55 Handguard.
$70 Top Cover.
Free shipping.
$125 Total.

Good Stuff!

Also Thanks Sven for the free shipping.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$55 Handguard.
$70 Top Cover.
Free shipping.
$125 Total.

Good Stuff!

Also Thanks Sven for the free shipping.
View Quote

Thank you man
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got out to the range earlier this morning to shake down the Renegade Top Cover with the Burris Fast Fire 3 mount.

Wow!

Getting it on and mounted was easy for me. Required just a little bit of force to fit in place, but nothing hard. No tools required to get into place, just hands.
With the FF3, I've got absolute co-witness with the iron sights.

It points quickly and naturally with the gun, and keeps weight down.

It did get warm, but nothing crazy after 100 rounds in fairly quick succession.

Using the SB47 brace, the pistol is accurate down to minute of Iphone 4.

The wife's old Iphone 4 went swimming and was a useless brick.......

Lets just say that 7.62x39 doesn't make it work any better, but it does make the phone more useful.

Pictures to follow later on tonight...

Bottom line, this is a great piece of gear and worth the money. I truly believe that Sven could charge double for these and still sell a crap load of these.

With the low price of the M92/M85 pistols, the ATF rulings about the Sig Pistol Brace, and Manticore Arms' stellar work.......this is a fun, reliable, and now accurate and easy to shoot platform.

If you like the AK platform, there is absolutely no reason not to buy one and then run over to Manticore and start upgrading the gun.

Sven, you and your guys have done good work!
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#8]
When you say no tools required how is it attached?? I assume it can't rotate or move at all right?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry,
It does come with an allen wrench/hex key to screw the top plate to the ring that goes under the gas tube.

It does move or rotate at all. Very snug.

However, it does not require any additional tools. In the instructions Sven advises that rubber mallet or something similarly padded may be needed to get it into place.
This was not necessary in my case. I was able to fit it into position just by using hand strength.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:41:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Can anyone briefly compare and contrast the advantages of the Midwest Industries vs the Manticore handguard?  I have never purchased from either company.  I am leaning toward Manticore, but I have no real basis which to work from.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Ordered a FF cover. My '92 is almost complete
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both and did not care for the MI.  If you want an all metal handgard covered with pic rails, that clamps to the barrel, then MI will do.  If you want something that looks and feels more like a factory original handguard (more traditional AK style) then the Renegade is the best choice.  The Renegade also lets you choose whether or not to mount pic rails (side or bottom), has co-witnessed top optics mounts for common red dot scopes and is easy to install.  Finally, it just feels better in your hand than the MI when installed and is lighter.

FYI, Installing the Aimpoint / Primary Arms optics mount was super easy and it feels rock solid.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#15]
After finally seeing a video of how the optics mount secures to the gun, I have to say I'm not fully impressed.

The idea of clamping to only the gas tube (as opposed to around the barrel, which is how other designs like MI and Ultimak work) sits the wrong way with me, along with using the polymer handguard itself to help stabilize it (from mrgunsngear's review).

Between this, both Midwest Industries 1913 quadrail / keymod handguards, a top cover rail (that requires you to drill holes), and the Ultimak, none provided the perfect solution and all have their negatives.  MI = too much extra weight and bulk and I don't need so many rails or doodads.  Top cover rail = not stable enough.  Ultimak = burnt fingers.  Manticore = unsure about long term zero maintenance with rougher handling.  I chose the Ultimak with grip tape to cover up the exposed areas that my hand sometimes touches, as it offered the fewest negatives for my needs, and I always wear gloves anyways.  The ability to use the Renegade handguard with the Ultimak would have been an absolute killer combo, the best of all worlds.  Perhaps with lots of fitting, it could work.

I'm just not convinced yet that this is a viable optic mounting system for something beyond "just having fun", but I'm more than happy to be wrong.  I have numerous Manticore AK and Sig products that work outstanding.  Just not a fan of this one.  I'll wait until the AK Operator's Union gives it a test.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Manticore,

this may have been addressed already but are there plans to expand this handguard line to other AK designs, like a general AKM pattern design?  I honestly think you could do a lot more with this than just the PAP pistol series.

Quoted:
Between this, both Midwest Industries 1913 quadrail / keymod handguards, a top cover rail (that requires you to drill holes), and the Ultimak, none provided the perfect solution and all have their negatives.  MI = too much extra weight and bulk and I don't need so many rails or doodads.  Top cover rail = not stable enough.  Ultimak = burnt fingers.  Manticore = unsure about long term zero maintenance with rougher handling.  I chose the Ultimak with grip tape to cover up the exposed areas that my hand sometimes touches, as it offered the fewest negatives for my needs, and I always wear gloves anyways.  The ability to use the Renegade handguard with the Ultimak would have been an absolute killer combo, the best of all worlds.  Perhaps with lots of fitting, it could work.
View Quote

There are remedies to almost everyone of those gripes though, you could always get the MI keymod rails that decrease the amount of weight on the fore end, and you could wear heavy duty gloves for the Ultimak.  But I am with you on waiting to see a real "killer" test of the top rail.  Ploufedaddy does a good job from a range perspective, but I want to see Rob Ski beat the ever living piss out of that top cover before I jump on one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Renegade polymer lower AND Optics Mount Top Covers are now available for purchase on the Manticore web store!

http://www.manticorearms.com/Renegade-Forearm-for-Yugo-Krinkov-AK-MA-8100.htm

Also, Mr. Guns and Gear got his review up, and it does a great job of showing how the Optics Mount Top Covers are installed and work(just as good as any video or instructions I could put together):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s7yzjVeS1U

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote

Embedded it.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
we did internal testing and had 7 independent beta testers run it and it holds zero and hasn't had any issues.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
we did internal testing and had 7 independent beta testers run it and it holds zero and hasn't had any issues.  

What tests did you and the beta testers perform?

You are welcome to be not fully impressed, it is a free country.

No jerkiness was meant on my part.  Perhaps not the best word to use.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I just checked my m92's gas tube, and it does in fact have some wobble.

While it feels rock solid at the lock pin, I have definite side to side movement closer to the gas block.  Maybe not as much as the previously mentioned case (I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread, or maybe over at AKfiles), but enough to give me concern.  The handguard itself would probably prevent that movement and hold the gas tube in place, but this solution would not fit my needs.  How much would this affect accuracy?  Who can say, but it's something I have to consider.

If the barrel clamp option ever comes available, I will definitely give this product a second look.

Thank you Sven for continuing to innovate.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you have a timeline on the plain covers?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Totally off topic but do you have an ETA on availability of  DANGER ZONE! patches?

I wanted to grab one with my top cover (ordered it anyways) but they are sold out?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Renegade polymer lower AND Optics Mount Top Covers are now available for purchase on the Manticore web store!

Also, Mr. Guns and Gear got his review up, and it does a great job of showing how the Optics Mount Top Covers are installed and work(just as good as any video or instructions I could put together):

Sven
Manticore Arms

Embedded it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s7yzjVeS1U

Great video....

You covered my experiences with the Renegade forearm and top cover to a T. You also did a very good job of showing how the top plate mounts to the gas tube and how sturdy it was.....
Glad you posted that, I'm sorta video camera shy and would end up looking like a goofball trying to accomplish anything remotely similar.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Great video....

You covered my experiences with the Renegade forearm and top cover to a T. You also did a very good job of showing how the top plate mounts to the gas tube and how sturdy it was.....
Glad you posted that, I'm sorta video camera shy and would end up looking like a goofball trying to accomplish anything remotely similar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms

Embedded it.

Great video....

You should see some of my earlier videos   Talking to a camera is pretty wierd and takes some time to get used to....
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You should see some of my earlier videos   Talking to a camera is pretty wierd and takes some time to get used to....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms

Embedded it.

Great video....

I'd probably end up making a fair amount of money if I started making videos....
I'd gnarf it up to a degree that people would think I was mentally disabled or disturbed and would donate money for my care...
And then there'd be manufacturers like Sven paying money for me to NOT use their names in any video's I did.....

Think I'll stick to being a cop and trying my level best not be the star of a You Tube video.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Considering getting the Manticore Renegade so I can use my Burris Fastfire, but is there any other traditional style rails out there that have a Fastfire specific upper handguard?
I'm wanting this so I can cowitness.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Maybe the Midwest Ind metal handguard may co witness. though not sure
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Not with the regular upper and I don't think they make one dedicated for the Fastfire.  Only for the micro Aimpoint and Primary Arms.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Finally got a chance tonight to mount my FF top cover. My Manticore edition M92 is complete

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Got sick and missed the free shipping. Hate being a cheapskate
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#40]
FYI, the polymer top cover mold is in process, should have Renegade polymer top covers in stock in about 6 weeks or so for all those who just want to run a polymer handgaurd with no optics (or a different optics mount than ours, God forbid! )

Price will be around $15 for the poly top cover.

Sven
Manticore Arms
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#42]
That looks SWEET Sven!

Nice work by you and your guys!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Can anyone identify this hand guard for me?  Looks like it may have been cut/modded to fit.  If I can mod this to fit and cover the piston area better it would be pretty sweet.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Your second picture shows that its a Mission First Tactical handguard.

Personally, I dislike the gap at the top.....

But that's just me.

Sven,
the polymer top plate looks good. And that price cant be beat.

Good job by you and your guys!
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It is a Mission First Tactical    Tekko AK-47 polymer forend.  The top always looks like that, it is intended for a stamped AKM, not the Yugo PAP.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can anyone identify this hand guard for me?  Looks like it may have been cut/modded to fit.  If I can mod this to fit and cover the piston area better it would be pretty sweet.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/447701000/447701417/pix642869269.jpg
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/447701000/447701417/pix457277900.jpg
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/447701000/447701417/pix110238318.jpg

It is a Mission First Tactical    Tekko AK-47 polymer forend.  The top always looks like that, it is intended for a stamped AKM, not the Yugo PAP.

Thanks man, as neat as it looks, that gap is a deal breaker.  Burn waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 9
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top