User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/12/2013 9:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: haLfLiFe]
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 3:01:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amos1909] [#1]

Downloadable forms to complete:

Certification of Compliance (ATF Form 5330.20)
View Quote

I figured it out. I did not see the 'or"!!!!

What goes on the first line of the 5330.20? Name under which application was filed? The trust name or my name?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 3:13:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amos1909] [#2]
Here is the fillable 5330.20 form

Form

I guess they want a hand filled out one.

Link Posted: 9/2/2013 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Man. I'm not getting this at all. I want to SBR my FEG SA2000M which has an AMD65 kit on it and a welded barrel extension. I'm not setting up any trust or anything, just doing it as an individual. Do I have to 'engrave' anything on the receiver? What and how? I searched the ATF site and found the forms and FAQs, but no info on the engraving.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1saxman:
Man. I'm not getting this at all. I want to SBR my FEG SA2000M which has an AMD65 kit on it and a welded barrel extension. I'm not setting up any trust or anything, just doing it as an individual. Do I have to 'engrave' anything on the receiver? What and how? I searched the ATF site and found the forms and FAQs, but no info on the engraving.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1saxman:

The answers you're looking for are in the NFA Handbook.

If made from an 80% receiver, you would need to engrave your name, the city and state you made the SBR in, the model number, the caliber, and the serial number.

e.g.
John Doe
City, ST
SN: 1234
MN: JD65
7.62x39

If the original rifle that you're SBRing was not made from an 80% receiver, you can use the same model number and serial number on your Form 1. If the caliber is already engraved, along with the original model and serial, you would only need to engrave your name and city/state.

e.g.
John Doe
City, ST

NFA Handbook 6.2.1
The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model,
and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon.96 The
marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to
section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements.

NFA Handbook 7.4:
Section 7.4 The identification of firearms.
7.4.1 Serial numbers. Each manufacturer of a firearm must legibly identify it by engraving, stamping
(impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing on the firearm’s frame or receiver an individual serial
number not duplicating any serial number placed by the manufacturer on any other firearm.120 The
requirement that the marking be “conspicuously” placed on the firearm means that the marking must be
wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, the serial
number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch.

7.4.1.1 What is an acceptable serial number? Alpha characters (letters), for example a name,
are not acceptable as a serial number. A proper serial number may contain such characters or
letters, but it must have at least one numeric character (number). ATF takes the view that
marking “legibly” means using exclusively Roman letters (A, B, C, and so forth) and Arabic
numerals (1, 2, 3, and so forth).121 Deviations from this requirement have been found to
seriously impair ATF’s ability to trace firearms involved in crime.

7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on
the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they
must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms
manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch.
The additional information includes:
118 27 CFR 479.91
119 27 CFR 479.84
120 27 CFR 479.102
121 ATF Ruling 2002-6
(1) The model, if such designation has been made;
(2) The caliber or gauge;
(3) The manufacturer’s name (or recognized abbreviation); and
(4) The city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where the manufacturer maintains its place
of business.122

7.4.3 Measuring the depth of markings. The depth of all markings is measured from the flat surface
of the metal and not the peaks or ridges. The height of serial numbers is measured as the distance
between the latitudinal ends of the character impression bottoms (bases).
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks a million for the great info! That's exactly what I needed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Came to the AK section for shiggles. Upon finding this, I will be returning! Thanks for this list! The pistol to SBR link SAVED my life. I've been waiting to turn 21 to turn my AR into an SBR. Thanks so much!
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 3:25:12 AM EDT
[#7]
And you can do the E-File http://www.atfonline.gov/ I have herd this was only a 3 Month wait?
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:57:04 AM EDT
[#9]
E-Form 1s are running about 35 days now.  They had dipped to 20 then rose to 40 and are trending back down again.  Considering how recently I'd done 11-month paper Form 1s in the post-Dorner rush this seems amazing.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#10]
To apply for a SBR, do i have to turn my gun in, or do anything besides just filling out the paperwork?
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mike545:
To apply for a SBR, do i have to turn my gun in, or do anything besides just filling out the paperwork?
View Quote

You keep the rifle...just fill out the paperwork and wait.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:22:38 AM EDT
[#12]
What are e-forms running right now?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Just finished sending my form 1 to ATF, guess now all I can do is wait and see what I messed up on. Trying to SBR a Zastava M92 pistol. Can't decide whether to go with a folding stock or a wood buttstock, I like the looks of both. I've gathered a lot of information from this site, maybe now I can be doing more posting than lurking. Thanks to all for all the info I've found here.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh, on another note, there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on getting a trust or SBR info in Arkansas, but especially being able to get my M92 engraved. If anyone close by knows where I can get this done I would appreciate it very much. Thanks again.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top