BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/27/2010 7:41:16 AM EDT
Just under 3 months for the stamp.

Previously mounted the Ultimak bottom rail (short version), the Ultimak standard gas tube rail (shortened mod) and the ACE AR grip adapter with modified MAID grip.
Also a MI sling mount on the rail and a Krebs UNI mount
I also added a notch in the safety lever to hold the bolt open. (nice for ranges and matches)

I had an unused CTR/Buffer tube/Magpul ASAP sling plate and castle nut  so I figured I try out the ACE Integrated AR15 stock mount.
I've used the standard ACE folders in the past and while they worked fine, I wanted to try something a little different since I had the parts in the garage.

For those who are going to use and ACE folding mount- The supplied bolts from ACE are 5mm/.80 TP.
I used a tap and drill bit from ACE Hardware. Nothing fancy.
I used a IRWIN 5mm-0.80 tap set with corresponding IRWIN  #19 tap drill bit.
I marked one hole and drilled it with the DRACO hanging in a vice(wood pads).
The standard drill bit(not a bit for hardened steel) cut quickly with a cordless drill.
Tapping the hole should be a 1/4 turn affair then back out- start over and with lots of oil. It took about 15 min per hole to tap.
Go slow, too fast and you risk breaking the tap off in the hole.(Higher quality taps will resist this)
Marking the second hole is much easier once the assembly is mounted temporarily.

This mount is a one finger open/close and locks open very securely as all ACE mounts do.
I'm a lefty and while the stock is folded I can use the pistol just like the stock is not there- it interferes none whatsoever.

Some pics for comparison- M16 10.5 SBR and Draco SBR.  
Its basically the same length as a 10.5"AR SBR. It just weighs twice as much.

Link Posted: 6/27/2010 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#2]
That is totally sick.  That temps me to build a clone but I am in too deep on 5.45 and .223 to pick up another calibre...
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I had zero interest in getting a Draco, ZERO. Now I have to have one like yours. I thank you, but my wallet says you're a dick.

Link Posted: 6/27/2010 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ruff ruff.

Awwwwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

"Howling coyote"

Nice bad ass boom stick.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice build, that's pretty much the look I'm going for.  What would you say you have in it?  Where's the best price on the Ultimak gear?
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Um, Its expensive. Don't remind me. But its what I wanted, a SBR AK in 7.62.

Primary Arms has really good prices for Ultimak gear. Marshall is a good dude.

A Krinkov would have been ideal, but finding one in 7.62 has been a pain and kit builds with rivets and presses were really out of reach for me.

In the end though ,this was a fun build with something a little different.  I hope to see more variations of the Draco SBR around here.
Lots of different options nowadays, almost like building an AR.

My Stock setup is about 2' longer than I'd like, I could lose 3/4" with the enhanced butt pad but its so cushy and nice I'll leave it on for now. As it is, it's a couple inches shorter than the classic triangle AK folder(like on a krinkov)
Notice where the front latch would be on the receiver.

Link Posted: 6/27/2010 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#8]
great idea for the sling plate, and beautiful rig!
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 6:05:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I think I just wet myself

OMG Dude, that is one awesome SBR.  I've been tossing the idea around and put her on hold to get my 10.5 AR papered, but this is really cool!

Dude, you have got to post this bad boy in the Class 3 section.  Both in the SBR and the Other Than AR SBRs
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Dear baby jesus that is pure tits.
I know you said you used the short model ultimak gas tube, however i believe the shorties come in a few different flavors now. An AMD version and a Krink version. Which one did you get?
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I've never cared for AR stocks or railed HGs on AKs.  They just don't look "right" to me.

In this case, I must say that you've changed my mind.  That looks SO "RIGHT"!

If going for a SBR this would be choice.  I just can't justify the expense or the restriction in my case, but I do like that rifle.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Masterbeef,

Its the standard length gas tube cut down about an inch. Its not hard to do.
If you look close at the pic with the stock folded, you can see I left the full length of the rail on the gas tube. I just cut off the lower portion of the front of the tube to get it to fit.
The AMD will work fine but its about 3/8" too short for my liking. The gap will be at the rear or front depending on the way you mount it.
The Krinkov version will be way too short.

Link Posted: 6/28/2010 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn, going to have to sit here for a little bit before I get up ;).

haha.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Can you post a link to that rail? I can't seem to find it any where...

Link Posted: 6/28/2010 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#15]
This has changed my mind about putting AR stocks on an AK. That is a thing of beauty.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Are you going to put a can on it?
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#17]
really really nice!
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are you going to put a can on it?

If I get one I would want to suppress it, but I have questions and I hope I've worded this question so it makes sense...

Is there a good chance the factory threaded barrel will be concentric with the bore on these Draco pistols?

Also, is the barrel threaded Left Hand 14 X 1M?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a draco in the closet that's gonna look a lot like yours when I am done.  I hope you take imitation as a compliment.  That is the best looking AK I think I have ever seen.  Looks fantastic.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Sooooooooooooooooooooo Ausoooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

You are awarded 10 high-fives -
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Form 4 inbound.  7.62 Phantom w/QD 14x1 FH  

And yes..if the threads are not concentric then there is not much you can do on a Draco. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Link Posted: 6/28/2010 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Can you post a link to that rail? I can't seem to find it any where...

+1. I'm looking on the PA website and it's getting worse...  
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Is the stock adapter for commercial tubes only?
Very nice BTW.
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#24]
SCHWEEEEET!
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#25]
ACE AR Stock adapters can use comm or mil tubes. Threads are same for both.

Link Posted: 7/1/2010 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Any chance you can post a link or an exact description of that rail setup... I'm having trouble locating the correct one and I plan on picking up a Draco as soon as one of my other rifles sells.
Thanks for the help!

Link Posted: 7/2/2010 11:47:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow!  Just wow...
You did a lot of things that I normally would think look like ass on an AK, and somehow you made that into one of the best looking SBRs I've seen.  You're making me hate my no-SBR state right now.
God job!
Link Posted: 7/3/2010 8:16:28 AM EDT
[#28]
mustangduckk here is the direct link to the Ultimak rail handguard.    It's the one for Stamp receiver.
Link Posted: 7/3/2010 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I was ready to try the MI rail set but this looks great!!  

I emailed Marshall at Primary Arms and got this reply:

"You will need the Ultimak M1-B, then you will need to cut it down to size. As for the bottom, if you have a stamped receiver then you will need the ACR2-SC. If you have a milled receiver then you will need the ACR2-MC."

so we will need:

Upper Rail-Ultimak M1B for the top and it wil need to be cut to size (I emailed the OP to see what his length is now after the modification)
Lower Rail- ACR2-SC for a stamped Receiver (Draco)
Link Posted: 7/3/2010 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks great and is similar to what I've been working on myself.

Link Posted: 7/3/2010 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#31]
this is the best  Tactical AK I have EVER seen. And I mean it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2010 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#32]
That's beautiful!

Gardner, you made my firearms reference library. What was the total cost in the end?
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok, this thing is sweet. Hands down the best looking AK I've seen... So the question that I have is how does it shoot? Take it out to 50? 100 yards?

V.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, we need a range report
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 5:08:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ok, this thing is sweet. Hands down the best looking AK I've seen... So the question that I have is how does it shoot? Take it out to 50? 100 yards?

V.

+1, how is the accuracy? Also what does it weigh?
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#36]
IT is a good thing my old eyes can't use those sights.

Damn that is sexy. With an aimpoint or Eotech I could use that sexy sexy sexy little bitch.

DAMN YOU!
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks to all.

Let's see, Add up the parts I listed and the stamp–– You do the math.

It weighs 8lbs with a full mag. Yes its heavy, 1 1/2 lb more than my 10.5 M16 SBR.

AK sights suck. And these are no exception. All I have really done is pop some plates and 20yds and 5 clays at 100yds. I have not tried to shoot groups yet and I'm sure I will be underwhelmed if I ever do.

Some form of red dot is going up front for sure. Most likely a low LaRue mount and a T-1.  Then it will be done.

I have to say, this Draco (Classic Arms) has run 100% from day one. It has a canted rear sight block and some ugly rivets but I can live with that.

Link Posted: 7/7/2010 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Gardner

I shot you a PM.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 5:56:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Did you have any issues with cheek weld, it looks like the M4 stock may ride higher than a standard AK stock. It's a really nice/impressive build.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Saj,
       Yes the cheekweld is a little high for the irons. I can use the irons but its a squish of the cheek thing. I can lower the mount about a half inch if I want but I'm going to a red dot soon so I'll leave it.

But yes its totally possible to get the proper cheekweld with this setup.
All ACE mounts are slotted so just get the holes in a place where you can get the range you want. Its not a difficult thing to do.  

I have a Norinco with a Mako  mount/stock setup with an T-1 on it and I really like the way it feels so I just made this one the same height.

I like to have a clear view through the T-1 (like the AR's) . With a lower stock height you can co witness the T-1 just fine. Cluttered up view with AK sights is just a not what I want with these rifles.

For me, my AK's are fun, plinking and gaming rifles, not really SHTF or PD go to rifles.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 5:27:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Cant tell by the picks for sure but I dont guess a fellow could run a left side charging handle with this setup?
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I see there's a shorty vert grip on the SBR AR. a friend told me when you do that it now falls under AOW. I told him once it's SBR'ed it is no longer a pistol so a vert grip can be added to it. Am I correct? Can anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I see there's a shorty vert grip on the SBR AR. a friend told me when you do that it now falls under AOW. I told him once it's SBR'ed it is no longer a pistol so a vert grip can be added to it. Am I correct? Can anyone confirm?

Yep, SBR is short barreled Rifle, so a forward grip is now ok...
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Ok, to achieve the use of an AR stock like in the orig OP, is this what is used to bolt directly to the rear of the Draco receiver? It looks like it has a "nub" that would interfere with the rear of the receiver. :

Or is it the standard receiver block like this,

but w/the following adapter too?:

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Yep the little nub needs to be ground off. I used a bench grinder. A Dremel would do it just as well. It took about 30 sec to remove it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:37:12 AM EDT
[#46]
What about the grip, did you have to trim the beavertail? It is a MIAD, right?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#47]
im guessing the ACE folder adapter can use pre-existing holes in regular full length AKs?
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#48]
I have not liked AR stocks on AK's before, they just didn't look right. Your AK in it's current configuration just changed my mind.
Very nice.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#49]
WANT
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Dude, you have inspired me. I got a DRACO about a year ago, shot 1 mag through it, put it in the safe and thought, I need to do something with that some day.  I was not sure just what,  till I saw your work. Looks like I will be adding to my stamp collection.

Great job, especially on your gas tube mod.

Thanks for sharing

gunfrog
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top