Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2010 11:59:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stomp]
First things first.
I AM NOT A GUNSMITH NOR HAVE I EVER WORKED ON A AK47 BEFORE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR AK/DRACO

With that out of the way, lets start. I decided to use everyday tools that anyone should own. Are there better tools for the job? Yes, if you have them please use them. I also didnt use any painters tape, or whatever to protect my guns spray painted coating. You my want to use some if a nick or two will bother you.

My list of tacticool items:
Midwest industries Universal AK47/74 Hand Guard in Dark Earth
Hogue AK grip in Ghillie Tan
Tapco's RPK/ Type 84 muzzle brake for the AK47
Primary Arms Mirco Dot clone
EMA LRC ladder rail covers, 4 pack in black

Lets start wrenchin'!
First is a "no brainer". Make sure your steel is NOT LOADED! Pull the mag, check the chamber.

I started with the muzzle brake. I used a Dremel with a cut off wheel to cut the spot weld. Go slow, take your time. Stop now and then to check your work.

Then after I thought I removed enough weld I used a adjustable wrench and twisted the muzzle nut off. REMEMBER it is a reverse thread. Also you will need to push the stop pin down with a screwdriver.

The next part is easy. Take your new muzzle brake and thread it on. Remember its a reverse thread. Again, you will need to hold the pin down with a screwdriver.

Next I will install the Hogue grip.

First field strip your Ak. (if you dont know how please seach the AK forums on how to)
Now, using a flat head screwdriver, break free the bolt on the bottom of your stock grip

After its losen up, look inside the action , behind the trigger and hammer group, you will see this rectangle

Put some pressure on it as you continue to unscrew the bolt

Once the bolt is removed the stock grip will come off. The metal rectangle will be free and will fall out. No biggie, put it back in its place.
Here is a pic of the rectangle/grip mount from under the grip.

Take the philps headed screw from the Hogue grip and apply some blue loctite (it came with the M.I. grips)

Using your philips screw driver, slide the bolt through the grip hole and into the grip mount thingie (metal rectangle)

Using the same technic you used to remove the grip, apply pressure to the grip mount and screw the new bolt home. If you did it right it should look like this.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 12:20:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stomp] [#1]
Now for the Midwest grips!
To remove the upper wooden grip/gas tube you must turn the lever on the side on the iron sight mount up.  It may fight you abit, so I use my wrench to turn it

Like so....

Next the upper grip/gas tube should pull up and off

You now must remove the wood from the gas tube. To do this, I use my adwrench, locked it on my square end of the gas tube and twisted the wood grips around and off.

Next remove the lower grip by turning this small lever on the sling mount up and over 180*. I used my needle nose.

Next push/tap the sling mount forward. This will free up the lower grip

Now your Draco should be even uglier

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 12:50:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stomp] [#2]
Here is all the stuff that the M.I. grips come with

All very nice parts. This is a great grip!

Start by placing the lower grip on. It doesnt bolt to anything at this time. So just place on and let it chill. But return the sling mount to its spot and turn the lever/cam lock back 180*

Then take this bad boy and the four largest bolts in the kit

and drop it in place like so....

Apply loctite to the four bolts and screw then down BUT not all the way home. You need them to be lose enough for you to turn the lower grip, but bolted down enough that it doesnt flop around.

Reinstall the gas tube

now place the new upper grip on but DONT bolt it in place. This is the time to look at the new grip and see if its straight on the gun, proper placement, etc. M.I. tells you to use the sights to check if you are alined with everything.

Once you feel everything looks good, remove the upper grip and tighten those four big bolts on the lower grip down (Dont go crazy, just nice and tight) Then take the two super small set screws, loctite them and bolt them down.

Now place the upper grip back on top. Line up the bolt holes and use the pan-head bolt (with loctite)

All done with the grips. I bolted on Primary Arm's Mirco Dot Clone, 3rd Gen. (its also a nice piece). I also install some rail covers. just cut them to size and muscle them on.

Put your gun back together and feel the joy of your new tacticool Draco. So bad-ass.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I would like to add that I used "Birchwood Casey" flat black gun touch up paint pen for nicks and what-not. It works great and it almost matches the factory Draco finish.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice! Thank you!

And all this time, I live/work just a few miles from Midwest Industries and never knew it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Can we post now?

Stomp, you win for photographic effort.  Project turned out very nice.

Congratulations.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, everyone can post away! I was working on the continuity of the build.

My lovely wife took all the pic's last night at 11:00pm. She's a good sport!

Im very happy with the turn out of the gun. Im kicking around the idea of SBR stamp
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Way to go, STOMP!
Thanks for posting this thread. That is a very nice, very MEAN looking Draco!
One quick question, if you use the MI railed handguard can you still use the stock sights or is the top rail too tall? I like the tactical look but I'm not sure I want to go with a dot sight........ decisions decisions
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice work, man... great thread. I'm sure I'll be coming back to this one a lot in the near future. Everything looks great!

Question: Does the top part of the rail come into contact (or need to come into contact with) the parts that retain the factory wood cover? I'm trying to figure out if the Midwest Industries rail would work with my AK pistol, which is not a Draco. I know the front end of the rail would be open, which wouldn't bother me that much. I think the website says it would work ok, but I wanted to talk to someone who had actually put one of these together. Here's a picture of the one I'd be working with....

Again, nice job!
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes your wife is a very good sport, and thank her from us all for her fine picture skills.  I wouldn't be crude like other areas in this site and demand pics of her - but I would bet that she indeed is very lovely and a real winner.

Thank you Mrs. Stomp!
 He couldn't have done this without you.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Good thread!
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By stomp:
I would like to add that I used "Birchwood Casey" flat black gun touch up paint pen for nicks and what-not. It works great and it almost matches the factory Draco finish.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n304/stomp13/AK%20build/IMG_1953.jpg

Great thread I enjoyed it, nice pics btw.

Out of curiosity why didn't you use some duct tape or electrical tape to cover the needle nose pliers so you didn't have to scrap up the rifle and touch it up with paint Seems to me if you took the extra step to prevent from scratching the rifle you wouldn't have to fix something that didn't need to be damaged.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Let me answer those questions.

Big Tony: Yes, you can still use the stock sights. BUT with the Micro Dot you can not co-witness

Grim: The M.I. upper bolts only to the lower. No factory mounts are reused. Slick AK by the way

halflife: Yeah, Im not sure why I didnt bother taping things off. The only part that got mauled was that lever. I got the paint pen to touch up some rub spots when I first got my Darco

Hedonist: here is a pic of the misses, she the one on the right in the Eagles jersey. This is one of her "socal networking" pic's so Iit no biggie to post.

And a pic of me in this years "Chrismas sweater". Im the one with the rather nice beard, looking alittle drunk

So you now the face behind the hands!
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 1:39:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pilatuspilot] [#14]
What flash suppressor did you use? Looks like an RPK flash suppressor.

EDIT: Reading is fundamental. I see that now.

Thanks,
Rob

Link Posted: 2/10/2010 4:39:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gone_Shootin] [#15]

<snip>

Big Tony: Yes, you can still use the stock sights. BUT with the Micro Dot you can not co-witness

<snip>

If I remember correctly, if a guy goes with a Ultimak gas tube/top rail & an Aimpoint Micro (or cheaper knock off version), it will co witness.

But I don't know if you can use a Ultimak gas tube/top rail with a MI lower railed handguard. I suppose if a guy were handy with a Dremel, he could trim down that center clamp that comes with the MI set-up. Or a guy could just go the easy route & get a Ultimak lower railed handguard.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 10:29:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stomp] [#16]

If I remember correctly, if a guy goes with a Ultimak gas tube/top rail & an Aimpoint Micro (or cheaper knock off version), it will co witness.

But I don't know if you can use a Ultimak gas tube/top rail with a MI lower railed handguard. I suppose if a guy were handy with a Dremel, he could trim down that center clamp that comes with the MI set-up. Or a guy could just go the easy route & get a Ultimak lower railed handguard.

Yes, with the Ultimak gas tube you can co-witness with Micro Dot/ Clones. I am alittle bummed that I cant co-witness. I think Im going to buy a quick release mount for my red dot, so if need be I can get back to irons.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Stomp, thats for the excellent pictomentry!!  I have my grips, furniture, and slant muzzle break on it's way.  I will have to post some pics, but not up to THAT level!  Great job and it looks cool.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 1:19:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gardner] [#18]
This should work to QD your Micro. All Aimpoint T-1 Products will work with PA Micros. I use a LaRue QD mount on my AR mounted PA Micro but this little kit will leave the Micro as low as it is but be able to QD.

Really cool, great for the AK/gas tube /rail platform

Sorry, I don't know how to hot link:    http://www.botachtactical.com/ai12milrpqur.html

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 10:26:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stomp] [#19]
WOW "Gardner", thanks so much for the info! What a great fix for this issue! I just ordered. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#20]
badass looking!! I'm still trying to figure out how to install a  rear sling adpt. on this thing???? without it looking like billy bob pulled it out of his footlocker!
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#21]
TAG THIS THREAD! We need more informative posts like this tagged in the AK pistol forum!
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Just wanted to add that I like the hand motions and gestures you captured in the pictures. You should get a job with the Home Shopping Network! Just kidding, man. Can't stop re-visiting this thread, trying to work up the nerve to go on and order that rail, and some other things to get started on mine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Exellent pics and tutorials!  I was going to document my build today but no need now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 4:48:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stomp] [#24]
Violent1: Im still working on ideas for a sling mount. But check out the "Options for attaching a sling" in this forum.

Makak47: If the powers to be want to make this a "sticky" I would be honored

Grim: I watched alot of Wheel of Fortune, and watched Vanna's hand work before posting

Marty: Please post your own. As stated in my post, Im no pro and that I have never even work on a Draco/AK before. Im sure you can add something else, better imput, etc.

Link Posted: 2/13/2010 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I vote for a tack.

Just hit the report button, and say "Request a tack" - or IM VA-Gunnut, and request...
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 5:01:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stomp] [#26]
Originally Posted By Hedonist:
I vote for a tack.

Just hit the report button, and say "Request a tack" - or IM VA-Gunnut, and request...

SWEET! Im Tacked! Thanks everyone.

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey Stomp, Does the top part of the rail system have to be un-bolted to remove the gas tube for cleaning ??
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes,  you must remove the four screws to remove and clean the gas tube.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I thought so. Thanks man. Sharp pistol.
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By AK74play:
Sharp pistol.

Thank you. I have a new optic mount (quick release) coming today. I'll update the thread when I get it mounted.

Link Posted: 2/17/2010 12:02:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stomp] [#31]

I have a new optic mount (quick release) coming today. I'll update the thread when I get it mounted.

Crap! nevermind. The quick release "Gardner" posted WILL NOT fit the Primary Arms Micro clone. Im sad now

Link Posted: 2/17/2010 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I certainly understand, but it will pass. The next new little discovery or invention that does work will make all good again and these memories will fade. No matter how you look at it, it's still a sharp pistol and no one can deny that. Just be patient.......
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#33]

I have a new optic mount (quick release) coming today. I'll update the thread when I get it mounted.

Crap! nevermind. The quick release "Gardner" posted WILL NOT fit the Primary Arms Micro clone. Im sad now

Sounds like a good excuse to buy an Aimpoint.

Or at least that's what the logic that goes on in my head would tell me to do.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Gone_Shootin:
Sounds like a good excuse to buy an Aimpoint.
Or at least that's what the logic that goes on in my head would tell me to do.

It was the first thing that come to my mind when the kit didnt work on the clone. "Crap, time to buy a real Micro"

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Stomp,

Your data/photos are great.  Thanks a lot for the info.

I noticed that your posted a pic of a Draco w/a VZ58 folder.  I'm curious is you have any better pics on how it attaches to the Draco.  I'd really like to SBR mine, but am undecided on whether to use the typical bolt on US folder or use the VZ.  I'm thinking the VZ looks better and mounts with less material sticking out the back?  I(If you understand what i mean).  It appears the VZ attaches with a single bolt?  So just drill and tap?

Thanks

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 4:43:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stomp] [#36]
Originally Posted By v188:
Stomp,
I noticed that your posted a pic of a Draco w/a VZ58 folder.  I'm curious is you have any better pics on how it attaches to the Draco.  I'd really like to SBR mine, but am undecided on whether to use the typical bolt on US folder or use the VZ.  I'm thinking the VZ looks better and mounts with less material sticking out the back?  I(If you understand what i mean).  It appears the VZ attaches with a single bolt?  So just drill and tap?

Thanks

You need to do two things to attach the VZ58 folder. Drill and tap a hole for the 12mm x 1mm bolt and "mill" a slot for the tab on the folders mount. You can buy the stock from czechpoint usa. Its the whole kit, mount, bolt, stock.

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks,

I found they were selling them and order the kit today.  The lady said they just put them on the web this week and they're selling like crazy.  I'm guessing that this little forum is diriving sales?     LOL
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Anybody else have that quick release from Aimpoint?  Curious if it might fit a Sig mini-dot?
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Stomp thank you for your informative thread, it was a great help to me in the disassembly process!
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#40]
No problem! Im glad it helped.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#41]
How did I miss this thread?  Awesome write up...  Thank You.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 7:33:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Narsil] [#42]
Stomp,
Thank you sir!! Here's mine all "Stomped" up.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/Narsil007/IMG_3254.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/Narsil007/IMG_3259.jpg

I'll be covering the unused rails with some OD ladder rail covers, putting a VMG on my two mags, replacing the holosight with a Vortex Sparc, and replacing the paracord with a webbed sidelock buckle.

I don't think I would have discovered the MI rail until I'd bought another without this thread so, again, thank you! We need a salute smiley.

Link Posted: 4/5/2010 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#43]
No Problem, Im glad to help. Narsil ( as in the sword?) I've had one of those Bushnells on my AR for almost 10yrs. Its been great to me! But it looks too tall/heavy on the Draco
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Stomp, you're the first person in the ten plus years I've been using "Narsil" as a screen name that got it right off! I was a fan long before the movies came out and am not a fan of the movies.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Stomp, Nice build did you have a gap on the upper hand guard on the gas tube or did the upper piece fit in tight? are you looking at any folding stocks,under folder or bulgie side folder wich one do you think would be easier to install?
Thanks great work
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Bigarfan:
Stomp, Nice build did you have a gap on the upper hand guard on the gas tube or did the upper piece fit in tight? are you looking at any folding stocks,under folder or bulgie side folder wich one do you think would be easier to install?
Thanks great work

The M.I. grip is nice and tight. as for stocks. The under folder style would be to much work (but can be done), your better off just buying a under folder. Same for Bulgie side folder. The ACE folders seem very nice and the VZ58 folder looks very nice indeed. Check out the SBR thread.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 10:18:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CSJim] [#47]
Thanks for the great instruction.  Just built a similar one based on your directions alone.  Very sharp looking.  

A couple of observations:  the cleaning rod will fit back in and is really tight.  I had a hard time with the front sling look lever.  Loosened it fine, but can't turn it back.  I made sure I'm in the grove, but it simply won't turn.  It started to bend so I just left it.  Its on real tight, just wouldn't bend back to where it was.  Lastly, I chose a directional suppressor.  Had a real hard time getting it on.  I used an iron rod to stick through the holes of the suppressor to turn it into position.  I thought I'd strip the thread.  It's on real tight and is not coming off.

Thanks again for the great instructions.
Link Posted: 6/6/2010 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By CSJim:
A couple of observations:  the cleaning rod will fit back in and is really tight.  I had a hard time with the front sling look lever.  Loosened it fine, but can't turn it back.  I made sure I'm in the grove, but it simply won't turn.  It started to bend so I just left it.  Its on real tight, just wouldn't bend back to where it was.  Lastly, I chose a directional suppressor.  Had a real hard time getting it on.  I used an iron rod to stick through the holes of the suppressor to turn it into position.  I thought I'd strip the thread.  It's on real tight and is not coming off.

Thanks again for the great instructions.

Im glad to help! I got my cleaning rod back in also, but it worked itself off durning shooting. I just leave it off now. It took me acouple of times to get the sling cam lock to lay flat.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks, I did mine the same.  Just a doctor sight instead.  Waiting to SBR it.  Centerfire was great to work with.  Having problems getting my barrel nut off.

Link Posted: 11/22/2010 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#50]
agriebel, thats a nice looking gun! Funny thing is just last night durning the Eagles game I was playing with my Draco and put the "OEM" barrel nut back on......I didnt care for it. What problems are you having with your barrel nut?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top