AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 6:52:06 AM EDT
[#2]

did you have to do the paperwork for an AOW on that?  I like the grip support but how does that differ from any other VFG?

Link Posted: 2/1/2012 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#3]
There is an ATF letter floating around that says that these grips 'ARE' legal.  Verticals are still a big no no but angled does not provide the vertical stability in their eyes to fulfill the letter of the law.

Personally I think they are better than verticals but until the ATF actually gets the law rewritten they are good to go on your Drakos.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Found a MI Krink Rail set and modded it to fit
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 2/2/2012 12:14:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: futureusr] [#6]
Originally Posted By WrenchBender:

did you have to do the paperwork for an AOW on that?  I like the grip support but how does that differ from any other VFG?

The other poster is correct that there is a letter from the BATF Tech Dept stating AFGs are GTG on AR15 pistols.  The Draco was designed and purchased with a fwd hand guard so it was designed to be fired with two hands as a pistol rather than a handgun with only one hand so I have not modified the design of the pistol with the addition of the AFG.  And finally, the AFG has no vertical angles on it nor does it allow the front hand to hold the pistol in a vertically.  The only vertical portion of the AFG is the hand stop that cannot be gripped vertically either.

found the doc.

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l638/futureusr/atf-afg.jpg

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Would the installation of a "dong" grip to a Draco be legal? If so I may have to add it
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DisplacedHoosier:
Would the installation of a "dong" grip to a Draco be legal? If so I may have to add it

The Romanian style "donkey dong" would make a Draco into an AOW, with a NFA tax of $5 to transfer it on a Form 1 already in that configuration from a dealer or previous owner, or $200 for a non-SOT to "make" it into that configuration themselves on a Form 4.

The Magpul AFG which is also popular is a gray area. There is a tech branch letter stating that an AFG on an AR pistol is legal and not NFA. However, tech branch letters are only good for the individual to whom they are written, not the American public at large. And only for the very specific questions outlined in the letter.

Since the ATF said yes to an AFG on an AR pistol to that person, it's likely they'd also say yes to someone writing the Tech Branch about a Draco with an AFG.  Also, Tech Branch determinations are only good until they aren't any more. The ATF can and does change it's mind on these things from time to time. Just ask Mr. Akins of the "Akins Accelerator" Ruger 10/22 bumpfire stock all about it.

Best bet is to write the Tech Branch and ask them, then keep their answer. It'll only cost you some time and a stamp.

If you've already gone through the NFA process to make your Draco into a SBR, then you can put any forward grip on it you want, since it's now a rifle.

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AJ_Dual:
Originally Posted By DisplacedHoosier:

The Romanian style "donkey dong" would make a Draco into an AOW, with a NFA tax of $5 to transfer it on a Form 1 already in that configuration from a dealer or previous owner, or $200 for a non-SOT to "make" it into that configuration themselves on a Form 4.

The Magpul AFG which is also popular is a gray area. There is a tech branch letter stating that an AFG on an AR pistol is legal and not NFA. However, tech branch letters are only good for the individual to whom they are written, not the American public at large. And only for the very specific questions outlined in the letter.

Since the ATF said yes to an AFG on an AR pistol to that person, it's likely they'd also say yes to someone writing the Tech Branch about a Draco with an AFG.  Also, Tech Branch determinations are only good until they aren't any more. The ATF can and does change it's mind on these things from time to time. Just ask Mr. Akins of the "Akins Accelerator" Ruger 10/22 bumpfire stock all about it.

Best bet is to write the Tech Branch and ask them, then keep their answer. It'll only cost you some time and a stamp.

If you've already gone through the NFA process to make your Draco into a SBR, then you can put any forward grip on it you want, since it's now a rifle.

Thank you very much. This forum is full of fantastic information.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AJ_Dual:

You are really getting around today. Seems to be a popular topic
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#12]
That's a real beauty.....
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#13]
sharkbit, I like an AK owner with a sense of humor! Would be really funny if it shot out Twinkie creme!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:30:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cochraneap] [#14]

Custom Magpul 870 forend . Here's a short tutorial I did, if anyone's interested.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top