Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » RPK / RPD / PKM
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/13/2016 10:26:56 PM EDT
RIP Antonin Scalia

So i decided i wanted an rpk after i saw a bump fire vid  of one. Really who wouldn't want a semi automatic version of a light machine gun. That was last summer, drums were cheap and so i stocked up on a few but never found an rpk for sale or a decently priced one on gunbroker. Lets face it im a poor bastard living in an Obama economy. I recently got one through gunbroker for $755 when all is said and done. And i had a chance to shoot it today.

First impressions
    Gun was used, not fired a ton but still used and never cleaned
    I wish century would build better guns, the gas tube is loose, worse is its very difficult to remove, poor fitment. The lower hand guard is also loose, not as bad but still play in it. The wood is poorly fitted but looks nice and really thats probably all century cares about. The furniture is missing all the refinements of a combloc gun with the exception of the upper handguard spring and it fits nicely on the loose gas tube. The lower hand guard is missing the ferrule. The butt stock is missing the metal butt plate which houses the cleaning kit and its mounted and cut poorly. Looks nice is all i can say about it. Also missing the cleaning rod. From what i heard and can tell the barrel and receiver is US made a appears to be decent quality. Barrel is chromed but not the thick super shiny stuff you see in a combloc barrel. Correct bore size as well. Not a .308 bore.

Shooting and accuracy
  The gun shoots, i had no issues with the korean 30 rounder i was using or the Korean drum i used. Accuracy was fairly poor though. 3"-4" groups at a hundred. The tip of the bullet makes enough contact when feeding with the barrel to deform it causing poor accuracy but that is fixable and not unexpected. I also dislike the adjustable rpk sight and will probably replace it with a regular ak sight. Recoil was light and fast follow-up shots are easy.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Chronograph Data
   I tested 4 different brands of ammo and 2 shots of each

Tula FMJ                      122grn   2538fps   2529fps
   Golden Tiger FMJ BT   124grn   2526fps   2563fps
   Silverbear FMJ            123grn   2427fps    2430fps
   Wolf FMJ                     123grn   2474fps    2453fps

Thoughts

Its a decent gun if you can find them, for a decent price, will likely need work to be good though as with any century gun i have bought or seen. Also bump fire stocks are available and will fit this stamped receiver rifle. Dont think thats a possibility with the milled ones century has now. No complaints about the bipod, not adjustable but works and seems solid.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Fortunately most of your complaints can be fixed.

Accuracy seems to be about what I would expect. Try better ammo and try not to "load up"  the bipod too hard,  as it can deflect thr barrel.

My AES10B is very accurate for an AK shooting Wolf,  but that still only equates to fist sized groups at 200yd with a 4x scope. It's still an AK being fed cheap ammo, but it can be tweaked to do a bit better.
Page AK-47 » RPK / RPD / PKM
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top