User Panel

Page AK-47 » RPK / RPD / PKM
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2014 9:06:10 PM EDT
just bought this im putting the original top cover back on it
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#1]
did these rifles come thru looking like this one?there is no rivet in the magwell and screws holding stock look like the havnt been touched
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:37:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Should looks like this one when imported.
" />
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
the furniture on the gun looks just like the pre ban polytechs and norinco furniture,i have searched the web for hour upon hours and its hard to find examples of this exact wood.i have researched the gun for over a year before i bought it and one example i found with the exact wood it was said to be put on by dealer at time of sale.https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?188202-Norinco-NHM-91-RPK-NIB
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Norinco NHM 91
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The NHM-91 is a semi-automatic civilian development of the Russian Kalashnikov AKM and RPK infantry small arm built by Norinco of China and marketed in the U.S. by China Sports Inc. of Ontario, California (CSI Ont, CA).[1]
Background

A civilian semi-auto variant of the Russian AKM (Chinese Type 56) rifle, the NHM-91 was built to imitate the appearance of the Russian RPK light machine gun. First imported and marketed in the United States in 1991 by ChinaSports Inc., the NHM-91 was modified to meet the requirements of a 1989 Executive Order by President George H. W. Bush prohibiting importation of certain 'assault rifle' configurations of military-style semi-automatic rifles such as the Norinco AKM/AK-47. These modifications included a one-piece U.S.-made thumbhole stock to replace the separate Chinese-made buttstock and pistol grip of the original AKM/RPK rifle, the deletion of the bayonet lug and muzzle brake, and the inclusion of a rivet on the receiver preventing use of standard AK-47, RPK, or AKM magazines.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]
does not have and dont look like it has ever had the rivet to prevent using an ak mag and has a threaded barrel and cap on it but not tack welded
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#6]
i have been told by a few people that they came over from china with rpk style furniture and the dealers in the us had to change furniture prior to selling them.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Mitchel Arms sold their AK rifles with thumb hole stocks but left the "evil" pistol grip stock that was removed from the rifle in the box.

I contacted the ATF about how to tell if a rifle needs to comply with 922r rules?
The answer I got was the ATF doesn't have a list of serial numbers showing what the import date is. I was told to contact the importer.
Many of the importers have gone out of business so I have no idea how to tell if 922r applies to a rifle if the importer is out of business.
They also said it the responsibility of the holder of the rifle holder to know if its in violation or not even if you bought it from someone else
its current condition.

I am sure the ATF has the records of all firearms from out of business importers as they do take the records from out of business FFL dealers.
So I bet if you pressured them enough you might get lucky and get access to the records of out of business importers.

That said, I have yet to ever hear of anyone being charged with 922r violations. I have seen FFL dealers as well as online dealers selling rifles
not complying with 922r. I even bought one from a FFL dealer that was not compliant. Many dealers have no idea what 922r is.
The chances of getting caught are slim to none BUT I am not going to take that chance so when in doubt, just buy enough compliant parts to make
the rifle compliant.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 8:02:59 AM EDT
[#8]
thank you ,you have helped me alot.i have found a thumbhole stock and handgaurds,ordered a tapco trigger and ill leave the texas weapons system dust cover on it that would give me 6 us parts.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I dont see top cover as a  compliance part???

Remember, you only can have a max of 10 parts from the list below on you on your rifle.

I believe as your rifle site now (if all parts are imported) you have 16 parts

Barrel
   Receiver
   Front and Rear Trunions (applies to stamped receivers only)
   Bolt Carrier
   Bolt
   Gas Piston
   Buttstock
   Pistol Grip
   Upper and Lower Handguards (both count as one part)
   Muzzle Device
   Hammer
   Trigger
   Disconnector
   Magazine Body
   Magazine Follower
   Magazine Floorplate

All you have to do is remove the part from the rifle and that will reduce your parts count.
Example: remove mag (3 parts) muzzle device (1 part) hammer trigger (2) that =6 and your parts count is 10  and you are legal.
BUT as soon as you stick the imported mag in the rifle, you are at 13 and that over the 10 you are aloud.

When considering compliance the big thing to keep in mind is the magic number 10! The infinite wisdom of the federal government has decided that it is unlawful for your semi-auto rifle or shotgun to have more than 10 imported parts from their select list of 20 parts. Many describe this in terms of U.S. parts count, but in reality this should be the foreign parts count. Now this is where the debate occurs.

27 C.F.R. 478.39 lists 20 parts:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)

(5) Muzzle attachments

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Butt stocks

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, hand guards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#10]
what a stupid law,doesnt change anything about gun,just changes parts!!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Its all about looks, who benefits and stupid law makers when it comes to gun laws (and any law for that sake) .
It was illegal to put a flash hider and bayonet on a post ban 94 rifle. When did you ever hear if a drive by bayoneting? If the part made the rifle look dangerous, then it was banned.
The dumb ***** law maker in Colorado that was behind the high cap mag ban thought mags were a one time use item and believed that after all the bullets have been fired from the mag
the mag was no longer useful. She said that over time there will no longer be any more high cap mags in Colorado after they all been shot up.

I did a lot of Googleing some time ago looking into the stupid gun laws. It gets confusing as there was the 89 Bush ban, 922r in 1990 (Bush) Clinton ban 1994.
During all the bans, there were so called pre and post ban rifles. There is the 89 pre post ban, 90 pre post ban, 94 pre post ban. 94 ban has expired.
So when some one says their rifle they are selling is a Pre Ban, who knows what they are taking about and if it is really true or not.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#12]
You might be able to buy some US make stock for you NHM91 so you can keep the "evil" look.

Try
http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDHome.html
http://www.timbersmithusa.com/products/

I think there are other vendors out there too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#13]
oops double post
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#14]
"does not have and dont look like it has ever had the rivet to prevent using an ak mag and has a threaded barrel and cap on it but not tack welded"

Exactly how my NHM 91 came.  Mine had wood made by Bishop.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"does not have and dont look like it has ever had the rivet to prevent using an ak mag and has a threaded barrel and cap on it but not tack welded"

Exactly how my NHM 91 came.  Mine had wood made by Bishop.
View Quote

The muzzle cap was held on by a blind pin.

IIRC the plastic stock cap even says "Bishop"
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#16]
My 91 didn't have the "blind pin", I guess they forgot to "convert" it in China.
Added the rail for the PKA and a RPK stock (quite a bit of fitting required) and the dang thing shoots like a house of fire and no barrel droop unlike 2 other examples I had.
The PKA is offset to the left but somehow it just ends up being perfect for a lefty like me.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#17]
And this Iraqi surplus, brass cased, is my favorite ammo for it, and the M-92 I won here on ar15 some years ago.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Thank you ar15.com!
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Page AK-47 » RPK / RPD / PKM
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top