Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » RPK / RPD / PKM
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2011 5:20:23 PM EDT
ordered one of these today, will be my first rpk.  anyone have any history on this particular rpk?  always wanted a heavy barrel ak, and the thicker receiver and chrome lined barrel and side folder is what really got my attention, and it looks pretty darn cool
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Its a bad mother bitch!

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc313/Belt_Fed_Red/021.jpg

With Clubfoot stock off Gun Broker:
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc313/Belt_Fed_Red/010-2-1.jpg

Only downside was that mine would not function due to excessive side-to-side magazine wobble.  I fixed that by JB welding 1/16" steel plates inside the magwell.  All three of my drums and 40rnd mags run 100% now.  let me know how yours runs and if you need to do this I will give you a step-by-step.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc313/Belt_Fed_Red/001-3.jpg

I have an RS products Aimpoint mount installed and awaiting the arrival of my Aimpoint CompM2.  This will increase the effectiveness of this "Area Denial" weapon 10X.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#2]
wow nice man, will put some info of mine when it arrives.  dang now gotta look for some rpk wood furniture, as for the magwell did some research and these particular rifles came in single stack and once it got to the u.s the opened it up for double stack, wonder if this is true.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
wow nice man, will put some info of mine when it arrives.  dang now gotta look for some rpk wood furniture, as for the magwell did some research and these particular rifles came in single stack and once it got to the u.s the opened it up for double stack, wonder if this is true.

Yes, they are made in Romanian and imported here as single stack, then opened up to accept double stack.

I got mine back in the $389 days. Love it. Only thing I've done is the correct longer bipod and added a birdcage flash hider.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yep it is true and the reason for the plate inserts because they open them up too far.  You can also get the Korean drums Centerfire Systems is selling for $60.  They work ust as good as my Romanian drums.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#6]
thats a nice setup, looks like it co-witness with your iron sights.
my rpk arrived yesterday and all i can sayis this thing is clean, and was actually surprised when i racked the action its really smooth compared to my psl and mini draco.  and the tapco trigger is awesome.

came with a bulgarian plymer 40 round mag (left) next to my bulgy polymer circle 10, 30 rounder

just for kicks added my psl scope and a ventilated hg

picked this up from a friend today for $75,chinese w/36 inside a triangle

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 7:32:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Your doing it right!  haha!
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#8]
my gun has alot of mag wobble, would be interested how you fixed it. thanks
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]
sorry forgot to mention also on the magwell, same here its pretty bad side to side movement.  i used the polymer 40 round it came with no problems, but still little play using the polymag, but when i inserted the drum and 30 round steel i was like wt...  cosmolinegreen you assistance is needed, thanks
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#10]
mine has alot of wobble, but does function. put two drums thru it, one chinese, the orther romanian. also good with 30rd steel mags. would be nice to know how to tighten it up if functioning becomes a issue.
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#11]
No worries guys.  Installing the plates makes for a better hold than even magwell dimples.  My RPK magwell was so sloppy I couldn't get any steel mags to function at all.  Now the gun runs 100%.  I could do this procdure in 10 minutes now that I got one under my belt.  This could be done to all the WASR 10s with mag wobble issues.  

Materials:

Flat steel stock  - 1/16" or 1/8th" flat steel bar stock at the hardware store, Lowes, etc.  (I used some scrap steel and ban sawed off my pieces, but what is sold in the stores is nice dimensions already)

Hand file - most used tool in this procedure

Dremel tool - to cut the bar steel at 1.25" lengths

JB weld, or JB quick Weld - I used quick weld and its holding fine.  The quick weld isn't rated as high for heat tolerance, but that receiver isn't going to see 900F.  

Brake cleaner, Acetone, Gun scrubber - for surface clean and prep.

Procedure:

1. Cut two pieces: 1piece 1.25" long, and the other 1.5" long, with both plates 1/2" wide.  (1.5" for charging handle side of magwell, 1.25" for the other side)

2. Place the pieces onto the thin existing plates inside the magwell and use a hand file to custom fit.  

3. Using a piece of tape, or double stick tape, temporarily hold the plates in place as you fit a magazine.  You probably won't be able to fit a magazine at all, so reduce thickness of the plate a bit with a hand file untill a magazine fits.

4. Rough up the contact areas on the plate and inside the magwell with emery cloth, files, flat head screwdriver, etc. Basically, etch and scratch the shit out of it. (best for JB Weld adhesion)

5. Clean the roughed up contact areas inside the magwell and on your custom plates with solvent of your choice.  Let dry.

5. Mix a small batch of JB Weld and apply a thin coat to the backs of the plates and install by pressing firmly.  I'd keep the mixture on the plate 1/8" from the sides all around so it can spread just to the edge.    

6. Hold plate firmly for a minute or two.   (Do this procudure for each side/plate)

7. The magazine might not fit now due to the increased thickness of the JB weld behind the plate, so use a hand file to reduce the plate until a magazine fits.  

8. Install a magazine and let it sit for 10-30 minutes.  The magazine might start off with a tight fit, but a little polish on the plates and with a moderate amount of use, the magazines will be easier to install in time.  

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc313/Belt_Fed_Red/001-3.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc313/Belt_Fed_Red/002-6.jpg
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 1:11:53 AM EDT
[#12]
thanks cosmo for the detailed informatiion, when i have time will do this thanks.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#13]
The AES-10B's with the folders are nice.

Tantal says (and I agree from the few I've seen), that complete rifles had the original (full auto/machine gun,etc.) receivers torched, then all the pieces put onto a new receiver.  Everything I can tell, I agree.  Beautiful, all matching guns.   Mine has the smoothest action of any AK i've seen.

I love mine.  I bought a all-wood set for it though.  First RPK, I wanna clubfoot stock  I gotta get a picture of her with a wood stock set...

It's also pretty danged accurate, rested (not using the bipod), it'll do 2.5" with American Eagle or 3" with Wolf.    I changed the slant brake to a flash hider and groups dropped to 2" with American Eagle and 2.5" for wolf (At 100 yards).   Those are scoped groups.  for accuracy checking I put on a 1-3X Weaver.   I plan on mounting a red dot, or low power variable (1-3 or 1-4)

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 2:19:20 AM EDT
[#14]
decided on the tactical look for my rpk, the mods are CAA adj. stock w/aluminum tubing, this thing is rock solid.  though i had to trim a little to fit.  saw grip, CAA lower handguard which i had to trim certain areas for it to fit, as these are for regular aks.  waiting for bp02 rail mount for a reddot and a new muzzle brake, for now heres some pics

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 2:35:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

decided on the tactical look for my rpk, the mods are CAA adj. stock w/aluminum tubing, this thing is rock solid. though i had to trim a little to fit. saw grip, CAA lower handguard which i had to trim certain areas for it to fit, as these are for regular aks. waiting for bp02 rail mount for a reddot and a new muzzle brake, for now heres some pics

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/047.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/032-5.jpg

I like it.  I'm not a fan of the SAW grip (on any rifle), but that's just my personal taste in things.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
decided on the tactical look for my rpk, the mods are CAA adj. stock w/aluminum tubing, this thing is rock solid. though i had to trim a little to fit. saw grip, CAA lower handguard which i had to trim certain areas for it to fit, as these are for regular aks. waiting for bp02 rail mount for a reddot and a new muzzle brake, for now heres some pics
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/047.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/032-5.jpg

I like it.  I'm not a fan of the SAW grip (on any rifle), but that's just my personal taste in things.

Same here on the pistol grip, but that thing looks like its straight out of Terminator, really cool!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#17]
thanks guys, yeah i know about the grip, actually had it lying around for a while so decided to use it for now.  been waiting for a while for MFT to come out with their products, until now just checked their website.  now they got their pistol grips in production
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 3:03:49 AM EDT
[#18]
heres my baby with the clubfoot refinished by me...
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#19]
My AES-10B arrived on Thursday, and I just took it to the range today.

The mag well is a bit loose, but I put just over 200 rounds through it without a malfunction, though I have yet to use a drum magazine.  The side folding stock is much sturdier than it appears; it's rock solid and the cheek weld is surprisingly good.

My front sight is a canted a bit to the left, so I had to set the windage on the rear sight 1 1/2 lines to the left.  The elevation of the front sight was a bit low, with the first few shots hitting high; but, with a warm barrel, I found the elevation to be good to go, and didn't make any adjustments.

Groups were a little over 6" at 100 yards with UCW steel cased ammo.  At a 2 to 3 shot per second rate of fire, it looked like I was keeping everything in an 18" circle, give or take.  I was by myself, so I wasn't able to get a better handle on rate of fire.

In short, purchasing this thing was a monumental mistake....because it's going to be eating a lot of ammo, a whole lot of ammo!

The Backstory:

One of my coworkers is turning 40 later this month.  He was in the Romanian military for 6 months, half of which was with Ceaucescu in power.  During his service, he got to fire all of ... 7 (seven) rounds through an AK.  So, yeah, not only did these Communist bastards drive my friend underground to buy Metallica cassettes on the black market, but they didn't even give him any ammunition with which to train!  Bastards.

So, were throwing a birthday party for him at a friend's farm; we were going to have a range-day anyway, and that we can roll it into a birthday party /  communism-sucks party, well, all the better.  Lots of firearms, followed by beer and burgers.  In keeping with the Romanian theme of the party, I thought this RPK would be a nice touch.  Oh, and there's going to be some Metallica.

My other coworker has a Romanian PSL, and we both have a couple of WASR 10/63s.  So, yeah, the RPK was an obvious need.
Page AK-47 » RPK / RPD / PKM
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top