BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Magpul AK Furniture (Page 2 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:49:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I am just curious why you would want a bolt on gas block, i dont know anything about them. Maybe they hold up? I know RD uses em and I always wondered what the advantage was using a bolt on over a pinned.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:31:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tngunner1978:
I watched a video, with a Magpul rep, he said that both handguards had full length heatshields
View Quote

That sounds good... But I really hope that guys definition of a 'heat-shield' is the same as mine

"Well yeah, the plastic 'heat shield' is plenty resistant to heat. We even put a whole 30 rounds through a magazine when we tested it "
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:45:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JackTheSkipper:
I am just curious why you would want a bolt on gas block, i dont know anything about them. Maybe they hold up? I know RD uses em and I always wondered what the advantage was using a bolt on over a pinned.
View Quote

According to Jim Fuller they do this to lighten up as much as possible the front-end of the AK. Me personally I just prefer my 'AK-74 style' front-sight/threads, so I would rather live with the slight-increase of weight. Heck I actually prefer the 'A-frame' front-sight on my AR as well
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder how the Zhukov handguard is mounted.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I asked that question to the Magpul guys at SHOT (they did not have one that wasn't mounted) how it was mounted and they told me that there is an aluminum chassis that is bolted over the barrel (after you cut the forward handguard retainer off your AK) - then the handguard is slipped over that and held on by two screws the screw into the aluminum chassis near the front of the AK reciever.

It felt REALLY GOOD in the hands.

I will be getting one (or three).

cheers

tire iron
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:14:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gone_Shootin] [#6]

Originally Posted By tire_iron:

I asked that question to the Magpul guys at SHOT (they did not have one that wasn't mounted) how it was mounted and they told me that there is an aluminum chassis that is bolted over the barrel (after you cut the forward handguard retainer off your AK) - then the handguard is slipped over that and held on by two screws the screw into the aluminum chassis near the front of the AK reciever.

cheers

tire iron
View Quote
Sounds like just the thing for us guys that haven't gotten around to doing the front half conversion on our Saigas.

Still would like to know if the stock can be switched around to folding to the left instead of the right.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the folding stock a lot, probably will wind up picking one up. Haven't made up my mind on the handguard, yet.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:59:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shootertim] [#8]

cheers

tire iron
View Quote

Did you notice if the handguard had a quick detach socket, or a sling loop?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Gone_Shootin:
Sounds like just the thing for us guys that haven't gotten around to doing the front half conversion on our Saigas.

Still would like to know if the stock can be switched around to folding to the left instead of the right.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

cheers

tire iron

The stock cannot be switched around to fold on the left.  It is a right folder only (at least that is what I was told).

cheers

tire iron
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By shootertim:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shootertim:

cheers

tire iron

It does have M-Lok slots for you to add whatever you wish.

cheers

tire iron
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#11]

The stock cannot be switched around to fold on the left.  It is a right folder only (at least that is what I was told).

cheers

tire iron

View All Quotes

cheers

tire iron

cheers

tire iron

Ok, thanks for checking. I could probably get used to it being in the way of the safety when folded.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:46:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Yugo M70b1 too so I feel your pain lol. If you have instagram @ruiner_ar15 is going to try and put one on his Yugo. He seems to think cutting the hand guard cap should make it work. He has had it in his hands so I trust it could be pretty easy to make it work.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:53:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Would it fit a MaK 90?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By john575:
Would it fit a MaK 90?
View Quote

I would think so.  The more ones should as well. The stocks might be an issue if you have a slant cut receiver. I'm personally wanting to use the folder,  chassis fore end on a saiga.  I wonder if they will be making mags in plum as well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Citadel-SC:
I guess my questions are will the Zhukov work if there is an accessory lug on the gas block, and does it allow for the use of the cleaning rod?

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#16]
So when are they available? Midway showed 2/17 but moved it to May.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I am so getting this set for my WASR when they come out, I have their AK grip and love it. Nice to see magpul getting so into the AK game, benefits us all!
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess my questions are will the Zhukov work if there is an accessory lug on the gas block, and does it allow for the use of the cleaning rod?
View Quote

I don't know about the lug on gas block. As I understand, Magpul rep said that in order for Zhukov handguard to attach to your AK, it uses barrel clamp for the front part, and probably for rear part, it slides into trunnion recess. That's for aluminum chassis. Then polymer part is slid on and restrained by using screws at rear of handguard.

Sadly, because of barrel clamp for Zhukov, cleaning rod can't be placed underneath barrel. However, with MOE AK & AKM handguards, you can place cleaning rods underneath barrels.

Which is why it's a deal breaker for me, I don't know of any good replacement cleaning rod which can be taken apart and put into storage part of Magpul's new AK stock. Will have to wait for other folks to experiment with new stuff when they come out and see what can be done with them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ChaZ:

I don't know about the lug on gas block. As I understand, Magpul rep said that in order for Zhukov handguard to attach to your AK, it uses barrel clamp for the front part, and probably for rear part, it slides into trunnion recess. That's for aluminum chassis. Then polymer part is slid on and restrained by using screws at rear of handguard.

Sadly, because of barrel clamp for Zhukov, cleaning rod can't be placed underneath barrel. However, with MOE AK & AKM handguards, you can place cleaning rods underneath barrels.

Which is why it's a deal breaker for me, I don't know of any good replacement cleaning rod which can be taken apart and put into storage part of Magpul's new AK stock. Will have to wait for other folks to experiment with new stuff when they come out and see what can be done with them.
View All Quotes

It may be possible to machine the chasis for the cleaning rod But will need to see one in hand to know. Any mods would void the warranty for those who care about warrantys.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:27:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: avatarhammer] [#20]
Malfunction
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:28:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: avatarhammer] [#21]
Major Malfunction
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Thanks for the answer.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By avatarhammer:

It may be possible to machine the chasis for the cleaning rod But will need to see one in hand to know. Any mods would void the warranty for those who care about warrantys.
View Quote

With magpul, anything's possible. With aluminum chassis, it's easier to modify, hopefully. Heck, some forum members, before the advent of magpul AK furniture, were able to modify some Magpul's AR furnitures on AKs. Heck, saw some remington 870 foregrips fashioned as AK handguards. With dremel and J&B weld, anything's possible.

For now, without any parts on hand or schematic drawings of parts, we can only speculate or dream
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Absolutely beautiful furniture. Now just need a Saiga model that stops around the gasblock and employs the chasis system of the Zhukov.

Either way I'm definitely down for some of these.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Have not seen any of the forends in pics with a cleaning rod installed.

Just to be clear can the cleaning rod be installed in Magpul MOE AKM Handguard AK-47, AK-74 Polymer?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Triggerbender:
Have not seen any of the forends in pics with a cleaning rod installed.

Just to be clear can the cleaning rod be installed in Magpul MOE AKM Handguard AK-47, AK-74 Polymer?

Thanks.
View Quote

Yes, only both MOE AK & AKM does accept cleaning rods. Zhukov handguard is the only one that can't have cleaning rod through the bottom part due to barrel clamp.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got a brand new M10-762 just waiting for a zhukov set in plum, but I didn't see the MOE+ AK grip offered in plum on MAGPUL's website. Do they intend to release the grips in plum as well, or only the hand guards and stocks?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:21:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Are the new Magpul AK Accessories finally shipping? Very Interested in the Zhukov-S stock, seen some places starting to put them up on their sites for sale?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:13:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By InfamousAK:
Are the new Magpul AK Accessories finally shipping? Very Interested in the Zhukov-S stock, seen some places starting to put them up on their sites for sale?
View Quote

Magpul website says late April for when shipping out to distributors.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Wasn't it March at first?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:12:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChaZ] [#31]
Originally Posted By nightshade1:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nightshade1:

Well, there was a situation at Wyoming factory, after they were done with all color runs except plum ones. When they started on plum, majority of workers went on strike because there's no way in hell they would want to supply plum colored furnitures to their own communistic government. The design engineers had to explain to them that they're not for M16s but for AKs so the strike is now over and back to producing plum stuff. That's why they moved the distribution date from March to April.

Heck, actually, I was just jesting I don't know why the heck they changed from March to April
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I may have missed the weights and after all these just starting to play with an AK. Will the long Magpul handuard and folding stock add weight to a stamped AKM?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:16:37 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm hoping they make the M-LOK accessories In the plum to go with the furniture, or at least the basics like the vertical grip or handstop.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By nyati13:
I've got a brand new M10-762 just waiting for a zhukov set in plum, but I didn't see the MOE+ AK grip offered in plum on MAGPUL's website. Do they intend to release the grips in plum as well, or only the hand guards and stocks?
View Quote

I'll answer my own question, the Magpul site now shows the AK MOE grip as available in plum (once they release, whenever that is).
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#35]

<--patiently waiting for OD green forearm & stock...

...<crickets chirping>...

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Well just when I had almost convinced myself to buy the MOE AK stock when it comes out (love the storage compartment on top, that's a biggie), I finally paid enough attention to notice there is no sling loop or QD slot at the front of the stock close to the receiver. I can't believe Magpul of all people would leave out the possibility of the prime single-point sling mount point. There's only one of my AK's that I run a single point on, but it's my primary, and has to be just right.

-1 guys.

Just an observation: I think it's absolutely f'ing hilarious, that everybody dogs on Saiga and Vepr long OEM lower handguards for so long and wants to swap them out first thing. And now there's dozens of posts on multiple forums of guys gushing over the Zhukov handguard and declaring their intent to purchase immediately.

Long handguards rock, I like that the MOE handguard is even a tad longer than stock AK length.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Well just when I had almost convinced myself to buy the MOE AK stock when it comes out (love the storage compartment on top, that's a biggie), I finally paid enough attention to notice there is no sling loop or QD slot at the front of the stock close to the receiver. I can't believe Magpul of all people would leave out the possibility of the prime single-point sling mount point. There's only one of my AK's that I run a single point on, but it's my primary, and has to be just right.

-1 guys.
View Quote

I have thought of drilling a hole and install a flush QD mount from two different companies:

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-micro-mount/

or

http://www.shopnoveske.com/collections/parts/products/flush-qd-sling-mount

Also, there's always using alternative sling mount plate that goes between your receiver and grip:

http://www.echo93.com/#!adaptors/c1bhd

Yeah, I agree that it's a big fail for Magpul for not installing QD mounts near the receiver. I'm still going to buy their AK stock regardless.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#38]

I have thought of drilling a hole and install a flush QD mount from two different companies:

or

Also, there's always using alternative sling mount plate that goes between your receiver and grip:

Yeah, I agree that it's a big fail for Magpul for not installing QD mounts near the receiver. I'm still going to buy their AK stock regardless.
View All Quotes

-1 guys.

or

Those are some potential solutions, but I can't see paying another 25 bucks on top of the 60 bucks for the stock itself. I guess i'll keep my current set-up. Just doesn't seem like it would have been that hard, a simple sling loop screwed into the side (and that may be another potential solution for those dead-set on buying), even a small inlet molded into the stock itself. For a company that many consider to have been at the forefront of tactical innovation, this stock is shockingly devoid of any tactical features.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Does anyone know if the MOE handguards will work on an ADM65?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#40]

-1 guys.

Just an observation: I think it's absolutely f'ing hilarious, that everybody dogs on Saiga and Vepr long OEM lower handguards for so long and wants to swap them out first thing. And now there's dozens of posts on multiple forums of guys gushing over the Zhukov handguard and declaring their intent to purchase immediately.

Long handguards rock, I like that the MOE handguard is even a tad longer than stock AK length.
View Quote

Yeah that was something I noticed when the stock was first debuted.  The folding stock has a receiver side sling point and it mounts the same as the fixed stock, so it's not like it couldn't have been done.  Hopefully they'll release a gen 2 fixed stock with the extra sling points.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:30:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: B1gB1ue] [#41]
April, April, April can't come soon enough.   That Zhukov stock looks sick:  Perfect for my AMD 65 build.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#42]
I just hope their accessories come out in plum as well, like the vertical grip and maybe a few others. My gun would look a little funny with all plum furniture and then black VG.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Various magpul ak parts are now shown in different colors. Also some parts have different distribution dates; either late April or mid-April. I'm torn between OD green and plum. Will wait and see how plum looks in other websites (distributors or reviewers) cuz I think the photographs of plum parts on magpul site doesn't do justice...
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought an AK just to MagPul it up!

Might even have the Magpul logo engraved into the receiver.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#45]
They've already shipped parts to OEM suppliers FWIW.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Call me a pessimist, but I don't see what all the excitement is about... I've owned a few Magpul products, they were good. But nothing I would camp out in a line to wait for the market-release of...

On top of this, the AK 'accessories' market, really is pretty decent... Without Magpul fanboy's jumping onto this latest wagon.

Hey, don't hate me. Just calling it as I see it... "I just bought an AK the second I heard Magpul was going to make 'x/y/z' to deck it out with Magpul stuff!"

Then on top of that, I see them making a few little 'mistakes' (or at the very-least they are really trying to bring some of the cheapest stuff to market). Between Tapco and UTG 'AK accessories' I've seen out there, Magpul seems to be right there with them.

Again, I feel a disturbance in the force. I am sincerely sorry, I hate to be the bringer of bad news. I just feel like Magpul is really, just barely dipping their feet into the water here... As in these 'first' types of constomers, are the guinea pigs for them to develop better stuff later on...

So far the masses that are on the: 'I will buy anything Magpul sells' boat. Don't seem to know/understand what is already out in the AK market.

I tend to look at companies such as Zenit, Krebs, Rifle Dynamics, and UltiMAK is being far more innovative in the AK world (along with others).

Right now, as I see it, Magpul is not impressing me. Maybe this will change in time, but right now Magpul = UTG, Tapco, ProMag....
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#47]
KillerBD,

I understand the sentiment you express, but I have a differing opinion of Magpul latest offering for the AK series of rifles.  And I am not a "fan boy".  I have some of their stuff, but I run other companies offerings too. (B5, VLTOR, Lancer, etc.)

This is what Magpul is bringing to the table that no one else is at this point:

A quality folder that does not require the rear end to be modified at all. That actually takes into account the comb height the AK needs, for a price that is very very reasonable, especially when compared to the other offerings by the companies you mention.

A forend (the Zhukov) that goes out past the gas block, and doesn't weigh a ton, that is "minimalist" (MLok so you can add what you want where you want, without a lot of rail where you don't want any) and again is at a very good price point compared to the competition.  Every other offering by the companies you mention have missed the boat to "minimalist" or are extremely expensive, or have issues (thinking Troy here with the heat expansion issues).

I am looking forward to adding a Zhukov forend to my personal AK.  I compared it to every other offering I could find at SHOT 2015, and for my needs, it is head and shoulders above the competition.

cheers

tire iron
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By KillerBD:
Call me a pessimist, but I don't see what all the excitement is about... I've owned a few Magpul products, they were good. But nothing I would camp out in a line to wait for the market-release of...

On top of this, the AK 'accessories' market, really is pretty decent... Without Magpul fanboy's jumping onto this latest wagon.

Hey, don't hate me. Just calling it as I see it... "I just bought an AK the second I heard Magpul was going to make 'x/y/z' to deck it out with Magpul stuff!"

Then on top of that, I see them making a few little 'mistakes' (or at the very-least they are really trying to bring some of the cheapest stuff to market). Between Tapco and UTG 'AK accessories' I've seen out there, Magpul seems to be right there with them.

Again, I feel a disturbance in the force. I am sincerely sorry, I hate to be the bringer of bad news. I just feel like Magpul is really, just barely dipping their feet into the water here... As in these 'first' types of constomers, are the guinea pigs for them to develop better stuff later on...

So far the masses that are on the: 'I will buy anything Magpul sells' boat. Don't seem to know/understand what is already out in the AK market.

I tend to look at companies such as Zenit, Krebs, Rifle Dynamics, and UltiMAK is being far more innovative in the AK world (along with others).

Right now, as I see it, Magpul is not impressing me. Maybe this will change in time, but right now Magpul = UTG, Tapco, ProMag....
View Quote

My previous post was mostly in jest, I have had AKs before. But sold them due to various reasons involving making the gun comfortable for me and my shooting style.
As far as the other Mfgs you mentioned.
1)Zenit, everything is heavy and bulky and not very available.
2)Krebs, great stuff, but some of their offerings I just don't need or find appealing. And their complete guns are expensive for an AK pattern gun.
3)Ultimak, their railed gas tube is really the only one to own. IMHO But, I don't like having my RDS on the gas tube. Tried it, didn't like it.
4)Rifle Dynamics, again, possibly the best US AK builder there is. But, it comes with a cost, a steep one, that for some is hard to swallow for an AK pattern gun.
5)UTG, I honestly never bought any of their kit due to poor styling, marketing and the crappy materials they make their kit with.
6)Tapco, the only good thing they make is the G2 trigger, which they didn't design. The rest of their kit, see my remarks about UTG.
7)Promag, I have honestly never seen a Promag magazine work correctly in many platforms and seen several break under light use.
8)MagPul, I still have Gen1 AR Pmags running strong under pretty hard use from classes, comps and drills. I like their styling, simple and rugged.

While I hate the term "fanboy", I suppose that's what I am. But, I guess that is what happens when every product that I have bought from them has performed to my liking at a price point I am willing to spend, and lastly, it doesn't look to bad either.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By plouffedaddy:
View Quote

I personally think it doesn't worth that much because the list of OEM on Magpul's website are:

WESSON

STURM RUGER

SIG SAUER

COLT

MOSSBERG

REMINGTON

BUSHMASTER

DPMS

They don't sell AKs so I think it's safe to say that they probably won't sell Magpul's AK furnitures. Perhaps you meant wholesalers?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#50]

I personally think it doesn't worth that much because the list of OEM on Magpul's website are:

WESSON

STURM RUGER

SIG SAUER

COLT

MOSSBERG

REMINGTON

BUSHMASTER

DPMS

They don't sell AKs so I think it's safe to say that they probably won't sell Magpul's AK furnitures. Perhaps you meant wholesalers?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By plouffedaddy:

WESSON

STURM RUGER

SIG SAUER

COLT

MOSSBERG

REMINGTON

BUSHMASTER

DPMS

Yeah I was wondering about that too, what AK manufacturer(s) are planning on running Magpul as OEM equipment???
Page / 9
Magpul AK Furniture (Page 2 of 9)
Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top