Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
CMMG Mk47 Mutant (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:00:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Any firing pin issues- with using surplus ammo??
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 6:47:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenBastard] [#2]

Finally got mine put together (scope was backordered) and ran Tula trash and Hornady ammo.

Pretty good rifle.

Originally Posted By DOG556:
Any firing pin issues- with using surplus ammo??
View Quote

No.

Ran through a spam can as well, the accuracy is shit, but otherwise GTG.

(Yugo ammo).
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The accuracy is SHIT!?????

Explain.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:57:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenBastard] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DOG556:
The accuracy is SHIT!?????

Explain.
View Quote

Cheap surplus ComBloc gets about 3.5"-4" at 100 yds, compared to 2" with high quality US match and hog ammo.

I'm sure a better shot could get closer to the 1.5" claim... But my eyes and hands aren't what they used to be.

Most of my shooting is at 50 yards and at hogs, so surplus ammo would do just fine.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:09:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Local_idiot] [#5]
tula "trash" and cheap commblock crap.

LOL

we consistently got 2 inch groups using these (3) "trash" ammo types

-Golden tiger FMJ
-Wolf MC HP
-Tula FMJ

Remington white box, @ 15.99$ for a box of twenty shot exactly the same.

before, I had a few boxes of Federal American eagle that I paid almost 18$ a box was shooting WORSE in my SGL-21 and Vepr 7,62x39 than cheap trash commblock ammo.

in the past years of shooting various Russian/Romanian /Yugo ammo (surplus) ...generally ...  ALL of them shoot about the same. I have never seen a major variation between them (one is shooting 2 and another 5 MOA)

the only ammo that I have seen better results in 7,62x39 was the very old Bernaul 123 gr SP (back when Lacquer was still imported), Lapua 123 gr FMJ and my own reloads using Sierra game kings SP and reloader 7.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Local_idiot:

LOL

-Golden tiger FMJ
-Wolf MC HP
-Tula FMJ

before, I had a few boxes of Federal American eagle that I paid almost 18$ a box was shooting WORSE in my SGL-21 and Vepr 7,62x39 than cheap trash commblock ammo.

in the past years of shooting various Russian/Romanian /Yugo ammo (surplus) ...generally ...  ALL of them shoot about the same. I have never seen a major variation between them (one is shooting 2 and another 5 MOA)

the only ammo that I have seen better results in 7,62x39 was the very old Bernaul 123 gr SP (back when Lacquer was still imported), Lapua 123 gr FMJ and my own reloads using Sierra game kings SP and reloader 7.
View Quote

Did I just see Golden Tiger listed in the same category as tula and wolf?!
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#7]

LOL

-Golden tiger FMJ
-Wolf MC HP
-Tula FMJ

View Quote

Replaced Vortex mount with LaRue.

Now the Combloc stuff gets 2 MOA

Check your scope mounts kids.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GreenBastard:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

LOL

-Golden tiger FMJ
-Wolf MC HP
-Tula FMJ

I was thinking of getting that same scope.  How do you like the scope?  Which LaRue mount did you get?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By dvldgusmc:

I was thinking of getting that same scope.  How do you like the scope?  Which LaRue mount did you get?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dvldgusmc:

LOL

-Golden tiger FMJ
-Wolf MC HP
-Tula FMJ

I have an SPR mount with the Crossfire II.

It's super clear and looks as good as my PST, but there are no markings on the turrets which makes it a PITA to switch between rifles.

The "red dot" center reticle is also a bit dim and lives at 8-10 in daylight.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Here is my Colt Sporter lightweight in 7.62 x 39 that I have had since 1995
It is painted in duracoat and I have put 10,000 rounds thru it before a bolt lug broke off in 2010.
I replaced the bolt with a " superbolt" and needed a slightly longer firing pin in the new bolt.
Since then another 1,000 rounds down the pipe and it shoots Tula into 5 round groups at 100 yards that are 2 to 3 inches with a cheap Chinese red dot scope.
A nice handy, light gun that shoots a harder hitting round than my wife's Bushmaster.

It does not take AK mags, but it will accept metal  .223 mags with 5 rounds of 7.62 x 39 in them.
P mags will function with eight rounds of x 39!
It also works perfectly with the 10 round flush fit plastic mags, as well as the 30 round c products mags.
I even have a lot of frankenmags (made by welding an AK lower half to a AR upper half) that hold 40 rounds and they work great too!

If you insist on an AR that uses AK magazines, I can think of three off the top of my head besides the mutant.
There is the Rock River LAR 47, the MGI Hydra, and the SIG 556 r. I will grant that the Sig is not actually an AR, but it does take AK magazines.
And that is without even doing a google search, there may be others.
So why all the hype about the CMMG Mutant?  Looks like a nice AR in 7.62 x 39, key mod handguards, and takes AK mags.
It's been done before.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

LOL

-Golden tiger FMJ
-Wolf MC HP
-Tula FMJ

well that's cool! good  deal man!

on the other note. My friend's mutant has serious issues with magazines. Like I mentioned in the other post, we had issues with the Chinese 5-rounder. I wanted to get something for my friend, so I gave him (2) of my Hungarian 20-rounders as a gift....only to find out that they also don't feed.

switched back to the provided magpul- runs fine.

next time I see him, I will bring every type of freaking AK 47 mag I got to see what happens....

AND another friend of mine bought the mutant. Drums wont work in his, but work in the guy's above.

......?
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 4:30:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Local_idiot] [#12]
well...this is getting more and more interesting.

I brought
-Romanian 30 rounder
-Yugo BHO  30 rounder
-Chinese flatback 30 rounder
-Arsenal black waffle 30 rounder

using steel cased Wolf and Tula, the mutant will not cycle using ANY of the steel magazines above. Failure to feed. The round gets suck at ~45 degrees WRT to the chamber. same failure in every mag.

When switched to Arsenal black waffle mag using steel cased ammo, gun ran fine.

When using Yugo mil surp brass based ammo, it ran in ALL of the magazines.  Same with Lapua brass cased ammo. 100% in all mags

da fuq?

next week I will try all my Russian mags.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Any updates ?
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#14]
sorry man, i have been in and out of the country, maybe next week...but as soon as we finish the tests i will post the results
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Results!???
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 5:23:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Benny541] [#16]

Originally Posted By Docduracoat:
<a href="http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/Docduracoat/media/Docduracoats%20work/photo_zps7b1ad5bf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t571/Docduracoat/Docduracoats%20work/photo_zps7b1ad5bf.jpg</a>
Here is my Colt Sporter lightweight in 7.62 x 39 that I have had since 1995
It is painted in duracoat and I have put 10,000 rounds thru it before a bolt lug broke off in 2010.
I replaced the bolt with a " superbolt" and needed a slightly longer firing pin in the new bolt.
Since then another 1,000 rounds down the pipe and it shoots Tula into 5 round groups at 100 yards that are 2 to 3 inches with a cheap Chinese red dot scope.
A nice handy, light gun that shoots a harder hitting round than my wife's Bushmaster.

It does not take AK mags, but it will accept metal  .223 mags with 5 rounds of 7.62 x 39 in them.
P mags will function with eight rounds of x 39!
It also works perfectly with the 10 round flush fit plastic mags, as well as the 30 round c products mags.
I even have a lot of frankenmags (made by welding an AK lower half to a AR upper half) that hold 40 rounds and they work great too!

If you insist on an AR that uses AK magazines, I can think of three off the top of my head besides the mutant.
There is the Rock River LAR 47, the MGI Hydra, and the SIG 556 r. I will grant that the Sig is not actually an AR, but it does take AK magazines.
And that is without even doing a google search, there may be others.
So why all the hype about the CMMG Mutant?  Looks like a nice AR in 7.62 x 39, key mod handguards, and takes AK mags.
It's been done before.
View Quote

Thank You... You said it all.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:57:04 AM EDT
[#17]
well...this is getting more and more interesting.

I brought
-Romanian 30 rounder
-Yugo BHO  30 rounder
-Chinese flatback 30 rounder
-Arsenal black waffle 30 rounder

using steel cased Wolf and Tula, the mutant will not cycle using ANY of the steel magazines above. Failure to feed. The round gets suck at ~45 degrees WRT to the chamber. same failure in every mag.

When switched to Arsenal black waffle mag using steel cased ammo, gun ran fine.

When using Yugo mil surp brass based ammo, it ran in ALL of the magazines.  Same with Lapua brass cased ammo. 100% in all mags

da fuq?

next week I will try all my Russian mags.
View Quote

This jives with the one I had come through class. It was HIGHLY mag sensitve and would regularly choke on mags that functioned fine in an AK
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
CMMG Mk47 Mutant (Page 2 of 2)
Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top