AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/31/2013 4:19:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Midwest_Ind]
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 5:38:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KiwiGunner] [#1]
What's the weight of that puppy Pete?

Is it feasible to have a non-picatinny upper as well? be it a smooth top or KeyMod as well? Just an idea...
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]
any plans to make an extended version?
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]
ARe you sticking with the SS Line name on this ?
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#5]
i would LOVE to have extended bottom and top rails
I'll even be the first to order
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote
YEEEEEEEEEA BUDDY!! Glad I waited. When will this be available? MSRP? Will there be a introductory price? :-D

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Will this be available with the integrated sight mount top cover?
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Is the lower hand guard compatible with an UltimAK gas tube???
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:14:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Definitely in for an extended version. I love my Extended AK-SS, very light and comfortable without the top handguard. I was going to buy another, but I'll be waiting for an extended keymod!
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 1:48:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DFM56:
Definitely in for an extended version. I love my Extended AK-SS, very light and comfortable without the top handguard. I was going to buy another, but I'll be waiting for an extended keymod!
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Dumb question:

What options/accessories fit into the key slots?  Assuming that there are parts that fit into those slots?  Looking at the MI site I see the rails for AR's that have the "key-mod" but I didn't see anything that fit them (specifically).

MI makes the best AK aftermarket parts and I have the picatinny railed version... it's great.

Eli
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice gap there at the corners where the rounded handguard meets the square receiver......is this the new industry standard? Because it's really wearing thin.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I kind of do feel the same way about not filling the receiver "gap" where the lower handguard meets the receiver.  I had a MI handguard set installed for a short perod, but the gap bothered me enough that I went back to a normal lower handguard.  I would really like it if an American company would design a lower handguard to fill the gap like Zenitka did in Russia.  Here is a pic of their lower handguard for reference....

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CPT1-285TH:
I kind of do feel the same way about not filling the receiver "gap" where the lower handguard meets the receiver.  I had a MI handguard set installed for a short perod, but the gap bothered me enough that I went back to a normal lower handguard.  I would really like it if an American company would design a lower handguard to fill the gap like Zenitka did in Russia.  Here is a pic of their lower handguard for reference....

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk137/lt1st285/Zenitka-B10M-lower-hg-2_zpsb4209357.jpg
View Quote

Yep, that's a nice piece, SGM has one that's similar but it's polymer, but at least it doesn't have that nasty gap. I can't see paying more than 25-30 bucks for something that doesn't even fit the rifle properly.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Midwest_Ind:
Wearing thin?  .  Ok.  
Troy.     MI
View Quote

Round peg, square hole.

Seems pretty straightforward to me on the design parameters here.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Cast it , Mold it no problem. Machine it with it having a round profile up front . Not as easy as you guys make it out to be. It can be done but time is money. Once a panel is put the the rear position if your hand goes there its a mute point.
Troy
MI
View Quote

If it was a moot point, there would be zero reasons to buy an aftermarket product that costs in excess of 150-170 bucks, we'd just keep the factory furniture, (that actually fits).
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Pete, what fit's into the keyed slots?  

Eli
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I used a metal piece from a UTG quad rail that was supposed to block the lower receiver gap and put it on when I got the MI quad rail handguard, it worked ok for a while but now it's flopping around, so don't do that
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#26]

I suggest you do that.

Thank you,
PETE
MI
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Cast it , Mold it no problem. Machine it with it having a round profile up front . Not as easy as you guys make it out to be. It can be done but time is money. Once a panel is put the the rear position if your hand goes there its a mute point.
Troy
MI

If it was a moot point, there would be zero reasons to buy an aftermarket product that costs in excess of 150-170 bucks, we'd just keep the factory furniture, (that actually fits).

I suggest you do that.

Thank you,
PETE
MI

If you (dragynn) think there are zero reasons to put an aftermarket rail on, in place of the stock handguards, you are delusional. I could care less if there was some kind of square butt plug on this handguard to fit into the receiver, it would only be cosmetic...I prefer things to be functional.

Thanks MI for continuing to produce high quality AK handguards, I've been holding out for the keymod version for awhile, and will pick up a few of the extended when they become available.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 8:58:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OnlytheTip] [#28]
I think you are being too dismissive about the gap. Please do it, and charge extra if you will, but don't just write it off as it being not worth it. Ignoring the concern we have over it is the wrong answer, and frankly it doesn't look good on your end.

I have a decent amount of MI gear, I dig the company, and your products are top notch. So why skimp on the aesthetics? I don't think you are a company that would follow the philosophy of "we'll make it almost just right".

Once you guys can fix that receiver gap to rail issue you will sell a metric shit ton more rail systems being sold. It can be done, reasonably and inexpensively, with a little creative engineering, which I know you guys possess. In closing, Come 'on, give in a little bit, I promise you'll be very happy once you do.

I'm proud to put Midwest Industries products on my rifles, and I'll continue to buy the gear you make, but truthfully if someone makes the rail that you won't, I will have to buy it from them. Please don't make your loyal customers have to do that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I very seriously doubt that sales would increase if MI put in the considerable amount of time and effort to tool up and sell a significantly more expensive version of their products simply to address a few people with a minor cosmetic complaint. I'd imagine it would actually lose them a lot of business.

"Why did your handguards have a %50 price increase?" "Some guy on arfcom was whining about a minor cosmetic issue so we totally retooled." "Oh well I'll just buy something else then."
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Balog:
I very seriously doubt that sales would increase if MI put in the considerable amount of time and effort to tool up and sell a significantly more expensive version of their products simply to address a few people with a minor cosmetic complaint. I'd imagine it would actually lose them a lot of business.

"Why did your handguards have a %50 price increase?" "Some guy on arfcom was whining about a minor cosmetic issue so we totally retooled." "Oh well I'll just buy something else then."
View Quote

No one is saying MI must cease production and completely retool.  Suggestions have been made to develop a variation of their handguard line in the future that addresses a cosmetic issue that quite a few people find lacking in the current rail systems that are available.  The quality of their rail is already top notch, but I am one of the arfcommers that does find the lack of transition between the receiver and rail unappealing.  This might be a minor gripe but one that should be taken in and at least tossed around by a manufacturer, and not immediately dismissed as nonsense.  I would appreciate MI being open to the "bridging the gap" concept further refining their already excellent product quality.  I posted a picture of Zenitka's current offering earlier to show how it can be done, and it would be fantastic if a US manufacturer can bring a handguard of similar appearance/quality to the market here in the states.  I very much disagreed with MI's stance in this thread which basically thumbed it's nose at the consumer, but I am not about to trash their product just because of a difference of opinion on the future progression of their product line.  Let's keep this thread and future product threads civil, and keep moving forward in improving the quality of products available for our beloved Kalashnikovs.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 2:01:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Midwest_Ind] [#31]
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 4:57:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#32]
This is not GD...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 11/17/2013 12:48:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Midwest_Ind] [#33]
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Troy,

To use the X-Rail we have to cut the sling loop off of the HG Retainer. To use the SS-X we have to chop off the entire HG Retainer. Doesn't seem any more of a chore to shave the  front and rear retainers for an extended top cover to fit.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 10:21:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KiwiGunner] [#36]
Out of interest.. - and not to derail the thread any further... but would the gap filler really need to be integral to the design of the handguard...? Wouldn't an optional extra, perhaps something that attaches to the bottom picatinny rail or rear keymod attachement, perhaps resolve 'the gap of doom'? At least from an asthetic and feel point of view?

Don't get me wrong - I run a full railed version on and off for my NHM-90, depending on A) my mood, and B) my 'mission'. I like it, I think its a very nicely made piece of work, and infact sold me on getting the new Gen-2 rail series; specifically the Key-Mod for my AR. But, the gap, does bother me a little bit. Not enough to prevent me from running the rail as is.

But it seems to me, with what little design and production knowledge I have, that if it bothers some, but not all, why re-invent the wheel, entirely, but why not make something that could be brought as an extra and attached at will if required etc. Be it 1913 mount attachable, or even a keymod attachable piece. Yes, it will take some real-estate up, but looking at all the other options... you'd loose the space anyway.

Anyway, just an idea :)

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 7:15:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Midwest_Ind] [#37]
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I will be holding out for an extended length version but I like where your going with this.  I've kept my AKs pretty stock but am thinking about modifying a couple of them and I like this you rail.  I also think a keymod top cover instead of railed would be awesome as well.  It would reduce the weight and the user would not have to put rail sections up there if they didn't want them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Please read above. The part to fill the gap of doom (your name) exists in that form as a seperate part. It has for over two years. Lets please keep this thread about the key mod hand guards.
Thanks
TROY
MI
View Quote

What advantages does keymod offer over bolt-on rails and accessories from companies like IWC?
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I have been watching this thread.  I have a MI rail on the ak now but would love to have key mod and finally get one that is extended.  Will you be making a keymod hand stop as well and you had mentioned about 4 weeks a while ago is that timeline still on?  

To the gap issue I have never really noticed it as a problem with mine I have now.  The rail portion goes down to the end of the receiver and I guess if it did actually bug me I could put a rail cover on it or something and never have to see it.

Keep the prices where they are at and don't bother retooling.  If enough people thought it was a problem someone would have made a cool guy fix to it by now.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#44]
4 weeks is about here, ready to order!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Excellent, hoping to get one with the integrated top sight for Primary arms style red dot.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#47]
This is the HG for which I have been waiting.  Well done.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 12:02:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ObsoleteMan] [#48]
Just thought I'd chime in by applauding your efforts to reduce weight and increase speedily adaptable modifications/layout with the keymod system.
I'm standing by to see if the keymod system takes off amongst the various manufacturers.
When products for this system are readily available these will be the go-to handguard system.
MI makes great products and being able to interact with you guys here is very beneficial!

ETA: I bought too many primary arms micro dots during the black Friday sale and am planning to mount them on your optic specific upper handguards coupled with the keymod lower handguards.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Please read above. The part to fill the gap of doom (your name) exists in that form as a seperate part. It has for over two years. Lets please keep this thread about the key mod hand guards.
Thanks
TROY
MI
View Quote

Where exactly can I find this part to fill the gap of doom? Any chance you will make some of these new rails to fit the Mini Draco. It looks great and I am sure it will be well made like your other rail.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top