Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/24/2011 1:16:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MakoDefense]
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I do not see a weight listed for the VFR-AK.  Do you happen to know what it weighs?
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice makes me want an ak but y fiancee would slaughter me if iget another gun
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MakoDefense:
I think your fiancée needs a gift to show your love and devotion. Perhaps a new AK?

grrrrrr curse you guys, guess after i get my SBR finished up ill be getting a cheap AK-47 and your amazing handguards
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 10:29:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#8]
Edited...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 10:51:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#9]

Originally Posted By BCOWANWHEELS:

Edited...VA-gunnut

All day long.

Always.....

Link Posted: 6/2/2011 1:43:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#10]
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]
NO DISSRESPECT INTENDED but i feel alot better with my arsenal sgl21 than i did with a wasr. but this is just me. same for a 1911 i prefer colt but the others will go off when asked but are full of mim parts. i have to know in my heart my guns will do there job if asked on. being a old man makes thing look different i recon and for the difference in price its worth it to me.
colt 1911
glock 20 ( only because its very hi-cap and light weight ) ! but mission specific !
colt ar15
arsenal sgl21
springfield arm super match M1A
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:34:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MakoDefense] [#13]
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#14]
These rails of yours are very interesting, particularly because they don't clamp down on the barrel. I'll probably save up to buy a set in a couple of months.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 12:35:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7n6] [#15]
Noted.

This system does not work with 100 series/AKS-74 sidefolding style stocks or underfolding stocks.

This system does not allow quick release of the gas tube for cleaning.

Is at least the gas tube "free floated", i.e. not attached to the lower so as not to degrade accuracy?
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]
So what EOTech style red dot sight is that in the pictures?
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 12:10:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:27:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7n6] [#18]

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 2:02:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Just realized I missed your question. This rail system does not attach at all to the gas tube. The gas tube can be cleaned with it in place, or the top rail can be removed to pull the tube for cleaning.

First, the gas tube rail isn't important, it needs to be quick detach type to allow for easy access to the gas block itself- not a bunch of machine screws. Perhaps a throw lever style attachment to keep the gas tube rail locked down but allow for quick detach.

Second, not all AK's are fixed stock type or Romanian/Polish/East German/AMD style folders. You should have really designed this to be usable with left hand side folding 74 type rifles and underfolders. Far more of these style folders than the other type of right hand side folders.

Third, lose the machine screws- they will back out when firing. You could use a cantilever ratcheting lock down to tighten the lower rail against the lower handguard retainer ring. This would also make it useable for longer handguard type Yugoslavian type rifles.

Link Posted: 12/9/2011 5:03:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Casimir_Pulaski] [#21]

Originally Posted By 7n6:

Just realized I missed your question. This rail system does not attach at all to the gas tube. The gas tube can be cleaned with it in place, or the top rail can be removed to pull the tube for cleaning.

First, the gas tube rail isn't important, it needs to be quick detach type to allow for easy access to the gas block itself- not a bunch of machine screws. Perhaps a throw lever style attachment to keep the gas tube rail locked down but allow for quick detach.

Second, not all AK's are fixed stock type or Romanian/Polish/East German/AMD style folders. You should have really designed this to be usable with left hand side folding 74 type rifles and underfolders. Far more of these style folders than the other type of right hand side folders.

Third, lose the machine screws- they will back out when firing. You could use a cantilever ratcheting lock down to tighten the lower rail against the lower handguard retainer ring. This would also make it useable for longer handguard type Yugoslavian type rifles.

Since you are so much smarter than the people at TWS, Parabellum Armament, and now Mako, why don't you just start your own company 7n6?

Btw, that's a good looking rail Mako

Link Posted: 12/10/2011 4:55:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MakoDefense] [#22]
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Ignore 7n6 mako.

So im finalky getting my first AK. What stocks does this work with? My local guy has a 7.62 AK that has the AK-74 style brake and polymer side folding stock, would it work with that?
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 1:37:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7n6] [#25]
Originally Posted By sinlessorrow:
Ignore 7n6 mako.

So im finalky getting my first AK. What stocks does this work with? My local guy has a 7.62 AK that has the AK-74 style brake and polymer side folding stock, would it work with that?

No Sinless, the rail won't work with modern 100 series or 74 type sidefolders.

Originally Posted By 7n6: First, the gas tube rail isn't important, it needs to be quick detach type to allow for easy access to the gas block itself- not a bunch of machine screws. Perhaps a throw lever style attachment to keep the gas tube rail locked down but allow for quick detach.
If the top rail is not important to you, then definitely go with a different rail system. This one is too expensive to use of you are not going to use a top rail.

This rail system was designed to work with specific stocks. It was not designed to work with all folding stocks. It makes little sense to use it with an underfolder, since the point is rock-solid mounting of optics, and underfolders give no decent cheekweld for the optics.

The bolts actually hold well against vibration. I use a little Loctite anyway. Keep in mind that as designed it passed military trials.

The reason this rail system was designed the way it was is for reliability and strength over everything else. It was built to be the toughest system out there. It was tested to provide a stable mount for optics that retains zero even when the weapon is heavily abused. It was designed for maritime and amphibious operations, where the weapon is likely to be slammed into the corners and hatches of steel ships and banged over rocks when swimming ashore.

The weapon can be cleaned with the rail system in place, and to make it a quick-release system not only reduces the strength, it would also drastically increase the cost, especially if it was designed to adapt to non-standard length weapons.

Keep in mind that this system is not designed for the civilian US market, where people have many kinds of AK rifles from many manufacturers/assemblers, but it was designed to fulfill a specific role for a specific military unit. If you want the toughest military rail system for mounting optics on the AK, this is it. It was designed to be used as part of a total package on the AK, which includes specific stocks designed to compliment it, and other accessories and optics. If you do not need the strength, and absolute 100% reliability under the worst conditions, a polymer rail system works great and is far less expensive. If you don't need a top rail, there are other options that can be used without the top rail. Krebs makes a really good rail system, for example.

ETA: Can't get the stupid quotes to work right. Answers in blue.

Fair enough on costs to manufacturer a QD upper rail. Let me make my point simple. If I have say a right hand folding style stock, then chances are I have a rail mount on the left side of the receiver- which would not interfere with the stock even with optics mounted. The market for this type of handguard is if you have a left hand sidefolding stock, which is the majority of production today for modern Kalashnikov rifles.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 2:08:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#27]

No Sinless, the rail won't work with modern 100 series or 74 type sidefolders. Depends on the stock - it will fit the rifle itself. So what you mean is that the rail works great, but the original stock doesn't work.

Fair enough on costs to manufacturer a QD upper rail. Let me make my point simple. If I have say a right hand folding style stock, then chances are I have a rail mount on the left side of the receiver- which would not interfere with the stock even with optics mounted. The market for this type of handguard is if you have a left hand sidefolding stock, which is the majority of production today for modern Kalashnikov rifles.

Doesn't matter. Again, this system isn't designed for the average third-world soldier using a stock AK. It is designed for specialized troops who are using the AK as a base on which a modern weapon system is built. It is built to fit their need exactly. They are not using russian issue stocks. They could care less about the current majority production of AK rifles. As a byproduct, we are able to offer this system to guys like you, who can install it on your AK and reconfigure your stock to work with it if you happen to have one that does not.    

All of our AK stocks work with the VFR, whether they fold left or right. It is part of a complete high-end weapon system.

In the AK world, no product fits every AK variant. This is a simple fact of life.

Except the AKM, fixed stock 74's, AMD sidefolders, Polish 74's, EG sidefolders, and just about every major rifle that this rail could be used on- is no longer in production. All current production factory produced Kalashnikovs are along the lines of the 100 series or 74M type. That is my point.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 12:07:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MakoDefense] [#28]
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Then build your own rail system. I told you the purpose for this one.

OK. Been giving out my ideas for a while- maybe this is exactly what I should do.

Link Posted: 12/11/2011 12:37:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MakoDefense] [#30]
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#31]
do yall offer a arfcom discount?
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 2:27:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7n6] [#32]

Originally Posted By 7n6: All current production factory produced Kalashnikovs are along the lines of the 100 series or 74M type. That is my point.

Another point - how are you going to mount an optic on those and have a working factory side folder? Side rail mount? I don't think so. The factory folding stocks on those need to be re-thought if they want to have a side-folder that functions with a rifle that has optics mounted. A guy who works with the AK industry in Russia was telling me about how the Russian soldiers were cobbling stuff together to try to make something work - we are talking with him about coming up with some solutions.  

ETA: Also, the factory stocks don't give a cheekweld with an optic, so you need to do something with the stock anyway if you are running optics.

Your plan is to tell the Russians to re-design their AK's to work- with your rails.

Link Posted: 12/12/2011 2:34:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MakoDefense] [#33]
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 2:59:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Question,
I have a few underfolders would this work?  keep in mind I really ever fold them although maybe if thier was a relief cut where the  underfolder folds that would be a upgrade on the next gen rail system you may not be able to do side folder but maybe acomodate the underfolder crowd?  Anyway I think its a great product and when I save up for one I will get one!
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Your plan is to tell the Russians to re-design their AK's to work- with your rails.

Not at all. Our plan is to help this guy with a solution for their configuration with side mount optics. Our rail system doesn't even come into play.  

I'm pretty amazed by your lightning editing skills - every time you post, you change the post to something totally different before I can respond!

one thing i have noticed is that it seems the design of the AK folding stocks, is that it seems when they designed them they had no intention of having any type of optics on their rifles, since even russuan optic mounts interfere with the stocks
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#37]
How much does it weigh? I didn't want to read 2 pages of someone arguing with you mako
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 1:45:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MakoDefense] [#38]
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Actually yes they did intend to put optics on underfolders it was an after thought.     I mean when they released the underfolder they quickly realized they had a problem but was quickly fixed with a shorter side mount rail.  They also milled the left side of they underfolder so it would clearly fold with no problems.   Every now and again some of these underfolders make it to the US thru Poland which was the other country to make these.  This version was called the AKMSU and had a special flash hider that came with them and a guy name Brick at they other boards sells these exact replica flash hiders.   So since the side rails are hard to get as with the correct underfolding stock these are not a bad option to use I figure mill out a little from the bottom and the folder locks in place!
I also think even if you just make a new gen rail h-guard just ad the notch in them I figure fixed stock guns can still use them its good to have options and also these would look killer on a folder!
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 3:08:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Liquidmetal] [#41]
I very recently picked up a VFR-AK.  This is the single most expensive accessory (not counting optics) I have ever purchased for an AK, so expectations were pretty high to say the least.  I managed to get it for $317, best price I have seen.  
The VFR-AK has met all my lofty expectations and justified it's high price tag in my eyes.  Quality and design are exceptional.  Install was a breeze and the rail is incredibly solid on the rifle.  The rail does not clamp to the barrel, a design feature that I really like.  I feel like I could chuck my rifle off a cliff and the rail would not budge, it is that solid.
The VFR-AK is expensive, but it's very well thought out and will mount every accessory imaginable in one shot.  Money very well spent IMO.  Obligatory pics:

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I have to say that looks Killer!  I most likely will be getting one for my Underfolder I have access to machinery so no sweat!
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#43]
just FYI this fits the Romanian SAR1 (century arms) perfect.  I will be posting a video review once I get the rest of the goodies mounted!

Also the customer service at Mako is first class!
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Do you think this rail would fit an AMD 65, Also does any of these rails have quick releases as mentioned on the first page?
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 1:38:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7n6] [#46]
Originally Posted By AIRCREW1:
Question,
I have a few underfolders would this work?  keep in mind I really ever fold them although maybe if thier was a relief cut where the  underfolder folds that would be a upgrade on the next gen rail system you may not be able to do side folder but maybe acomodate the underfolder crowd?  Anyway I think its a great product and when I save up for one I will get one!

No, this does not work with underfolders or 74 type left hand sidefolders. It only works with fixed stock AKM's/74's or right hand sidefolding models. They could simply modify the lower to accept the underfolder similar to a Samson rail and modify the left side for the hook for a 74 sidefolder. This would then be compatible with nearly 100% of stamped AK type weapons.

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 10:14:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MOS11C] [#47]

Doesn't matter. Again, this system isn't designed for the average third-world soldier using a stock AK. It is designed for specialized troops who are using the AK as a base on which a modern weapon system is built. It is built to fit their need exactly. They are not using russian issue stocks. They could care less about the current majority production of AK rifles.

Don't know how well it will work for the AMD 65, I have not tried. I have been told by someone that he installed it on one, but it is second-hand info and I don't know how much work was done to the rifle to make it work.

You are correct, some of us specialized troops could care less about traditional BS or what the majority of the ak world looks like.....westill would like to know if it fits the AMD.
My AMD is screaming for a face-lift.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Will this work on my tantal?

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Work on the Yugo M70?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top