Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2013 2:40:16 PM EDT
Saw that Centerfire has Archers in stock at $1200 a pop.  I really cant see spending that much on one.  I really cant see spending half that on one.  They just look like an AK with a dog leg rail on top and an updated stock whoopty freakin' doo.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:I really cant see spending that much on one.
View Quote

Then don't do it. Easy
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Then don't do it. Easy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Then don't do it. Easy

Dynamite reply.
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Dynamite reply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then don't do it. Easy

Dynamite reply.

What did you expect? You made a statement. I actually supported it
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then don't do it. Easy

Dynamite reply.

And in the immortal words of Bartels and James. "Thank you for your support".. But seriously, anyone have one or tried one out?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 5:22:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And in the immortal words of Bartels and James. "Thank you for your support".. But seriously, anyone have one or tried one out?
View Quote

Some people tried them, so hopefully somebody less biased will chime in soon. In meantime you can watch review made by MAC (Military Arms Channel) - he had first gen import (improper one), but generally most remarks apply

They are expensive, that is true. But what you see is "correct" version. I mean initially importer (I.O. Inc ... I know, I know) put some funny requests and factory followed. With feedback from customers factory corrected some things. What you see is actually as close to mil-spec as it could be exported to US. Rifles comes in complete from Poland, test shot for function and accuracy at factory as single shot sporting rifle. In US only magazine opening is cut out, and some US made parts thrown in (trigger, pistol grip, muzzle device - copy of mil-spec muzzle device from Beryl).

What is good in this rifle? It is made exactly same as our military rifles, on same production line, with components from same production lots (most made on CNC machines, except stamped parts). Barrel is cold hammer forged and chrome lined with 1/9" twist (info on webpage is not correct - I checked that with factory). Bolt and carrier are melonite treated. You got it with POPC4 railed scope mount (Beryl scope mounts were inspiration for other dog-leg scope mounts). Rifles are usually capable to shoot not worse than 1.5-2 MOA with good ammo (seen sub-MOA groups and personally shot some using SBR version - Mini Beryl). Beryl is now probably best 5.56 AK in production and actually only one fielded in actual combat in any significant numbers (most if not all other 5.56 AKs are commercial models). It is workhorse of our troop is A-stan, as it was in Iraq. Part of price you pay for it is for very good quality management and control system used in manufacturing this rifle (other part is unfortunately for high taxes and high state social security fees, that pump up labor costs). I'm little  (or not so little) biased, but in my book it is "HK of AKs"

What is bad? Magazine opening cuts made in US are not top notch work. I.O. requested this silly "bolt hold open" that original rifle does not have, plus way it is made - it does not work (nothing that can not be corrected). Muzzle device is sometimes installed upside down (it is pinned). Actually it is not a problem, because it is not directional, but .... And rear trunnion uses 2 pins instead of 3 pins. It functionally is not a problem, because 3rd pin is needed only when you plan to use barrel launched grenades, but still. It would be also nice if full wz. 96/04 spec was used - that include railed handguard instead of plastic one.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one, specifically for the accuracy factor knowing I can handload for it, and because it would be easy to scope it.  

No regrets.   It is shooting groups under an inch at 50Y.  Mine is probably 1.7-1.8MOA with handloads.  

50Y:

Montrala's right about the magwell opening.   It comes with a pro-mag, but that's the only mag that will fit it at all.   I had to widen it out in the front to get Beryl mags to work.   Circle 10's wouldn't go in at all unless I ran an end mill down one portion of the magazine's side lip.  Easily done though.  It sucks that a $1200 rifle needs work right out of the box but it is what it is.  

It is a really, really good shooting rifle and is impressively built in every other regard.  It's the only AK I have that can box long range against AR's.  

I went 5 for 5 on a 10x12 steel plate at 400Y with it:  

And a prone rapid fire group at 400Y on a steel IDPA targ was all CM.  

It is a HEAVY rifle if you put a meaty optic on it like I did.  That's a steiner 1-4.   Maybe two pounds itself.....  But it's what I had.  

I haven't tested return-to-zero with regard to the rail system yet either, but it seems solid enough.  

I like the gun a lot and am happy I got one.  I would recommend it with the only caveat being that you will have to do something to get mags to fit.  

--Fargo007
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I haven't tested return-to-zero with regard to the rail system yet either, but it seems solid enough.  

View Quote

Thanks for your report!

To have good zero retention and good RTZ adjust rear locking lever for tight fit. I prefer to adjust it that is can be opened by hand (barely) but need to hit it with something hard (magazine for eg.) to close. Also remember to put front into rear sight base grooves in straight motion. Same for removing it. No wiggling it side to side as this can introduce play between scope mount and rear sight base.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#8]
No problem and thanks for that advice on the rail as well.  

Yes, as it is now it requires a very sharp rap of a palm heel to lock it down.  I wasn't aware that was even adjustable.   Ya learn something new every day.  

I note that mine does not have the FB crest on the trunion.  I wish it did.  

--Fargo007
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:33:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I note that mine does not have the FB crest on the trunion.  I wish it did.  

View Quote

On my Mini there is no FB crest on trunion. FB crest is on left side of the receiver just below manufacturing year and serial number.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Other ones I've seen here in the US (like in MAC's review video) have the crest on the trunion.  I will check the receiver but I don't remember seeing it there either.

--Fargo007

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know if ANY stamped AK is worth $1300...but having said, that the Archer is one fine rifle, perhaps the best 556 AK out there now, even with the problems you have to work out. I would see it as equivilent to owning a Valmet M76, and I would look at it as a long term investment good for hard use over a lifetime. A friend of mine has one and it IS so friggin accurate that it is scary. But when it came time for me to choose I went with a SIG 551A1 as I thought I got more for the same $ but the SIG is not as accurate...the Archer is somewhat heavy too, as is the SIG. Both have equal reliability. The workmanship on my friends Archer, the fit and finish is second to none. If I ever see a deal on one, I may get it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Get a Sig 55x then. It's the best 5.56 AK-variant out there, followed by the M85A. IMHO

I have a 551A1 and it shoots like a dream!
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Tiger Imports was advertising them yesterday for $1099.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tiger Imports was advertising them yesterday for $1099.
View Quote

These stupid distributors have been taking the accessories out and selling them separate for profit. I am bidding on one on an auction site that has older Polish folding stock, rail and the newer brake. I'm sitting on about five Beryl mags already that I've had over a year with no rifle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Great looking gun. What are the US compliance parts?
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Great looking gun. What are the US compliance parts?
View Quote

I believe the fire control parts, pistol grip, and stock. Rifles usually come with the original stock though, just not installed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Has anyone had problems contacting I/O? I ordered an Archer from them more than a month ago. I haven't seen the rifle post to my card and can't get anyone to answer the phone. I have left voicemail but it has gone unanswered.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Has anyone had problems contacting I/O? I ordered an Archer from them more than a month ago. I haven't seen the rifle post to my card and can't get anyone to answer the phone. I have left voicemail but it has gone unanswered.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I avoided IO Inc on principle. Got mine from gunbroker. Came with the older folding stock, scope rail, and handguard with integral grip/rail sections. If I were you and couldn't get in touch with IO, I would stop payment on my card and order one from Bud's gun shop. They are down to like $800. Not sure what they come with though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone here ordered from  Royal Tiger? How is their  customer service?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I copied this from GD............I had thought of buying one myself

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1650377_Royal_Tiger_Imports______s_people_on_their_orders__Vepr_IV_.html
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:32:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Guess, I got lucky bought Vepr RPK IV in May at a local gun store for $1099 plus tax and they gave me a 5% discount. Don't know if it is a good custmer or old age discount. Last week I found a polish Archer in same gun store  with same price as the Vepr Rpk IV. Didn't have that much cash so I put it on layway. May get it out at end of month. The fit and finish was top notched. Rifle comes with 1 Pro Mag.and top scope rail. Pro Mag Wasr 3 mags  work fine in my Vepr RPK IV so they should be fine in the Arcker
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Guess, I got lucky bought Vepr RPK IV in May at a local gun store for $1099 plus tax and they gave me a 5% discount. Don't know if it is a good custmer or old age discount. Last week I found a polish Archer in same gun store  with same price as the Vepr Rpk IV. Didn't have that much cash so I put it on layway. May get it out at end of month. The fit and finish was top notched. Rifle comes with 1 Pro Mag.and top scope rail. Pro Mag Wasr 3 mags  work fine in my Vepr RPK IV so they should be fine in the Arcker
View Quote

You have a source for the 45 rnd RPK mags? Your dealer have any?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Get a Sig 55x then. It's the best 5.56 AK-variant out there, followed by the M85A. IMHO

View Quote

Couldn't pay me to use any of the garbage sig usa puts out.  Junk
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Has anyone here ordered from  Royal Tiger? How is their  customer service?
View Quote

I ordered from them and their customer service was fine. They got my Beryl to me very quick, but have been a bit slow to respond to emails regarding the RMA it needed to correct the wrongly-installed flash hider. However, it's not a major problem. My experience with them so far is much better than the prevailing wisdom of them seems to be on this and other forums. If you're worried about ordering from them, don't be.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry to take so long to answer. Shop only had the 30 rds pro mags.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT.

Sig Sauer of Switzerland = Good

Sig USA = Bleh.
Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top