Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2013 2:59:04 PM EDT
I was lurking around my LGS yesterday, they have a TANTAL on the shelf, which got me really interested into making a purchase, I've shot a AK-74 in the past and I'm liking the price for bulk ammo. But after doing some basic research on the web it seem's that the TANTAL may be bigger pain than I want to deal with for after market parts, here's what I'm looking to do:

1) Swap out the wire stock, though I see that any buttstock designed for an AKM will work. Is there a "M4" style set up that anyone would recommend?

2) Replace the wood with a rail system, possibly a set system from Midwest Industries, but I'm reading that some people have had issues with the TANTAL's gas tubes, is there a particular rail system that will work better with the TANTAL? This would primarily used to mount a RDS and perhaps forward grip.

3) Will any "AK" replacement grip work?

4) Source for quality '74 mags?

If it wasn't obvious already, I'm completely new to the AK world so all info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Not an expert by any means, but I will try to give you some basics.  First, is the Tantal a Century build or from some other maker?  If it is a Century, DO NOT BUY IT unless you can run a mag or two through it.  Century used the wrong barrels, resulting in keyholing.  As far as removing the wire stock--any true AKM furniture will work, and several makers make "AR" mods for the AK series of rifles.  For the front end, try a Beryl--I am seriously looking at these, they interchange freely with the Tantal.  Mags--tougher to answer, the plentiful and cheap days are over I am afraid.  Cope's has some genuine steel Tantal mags left; any other AK74 mag should work fine.  Check the Equipment Exchange, or try to do a search online.  Hope this helps--got 4 of these and love them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC the initial Tantal builds done by Century had barrels with bores that were oversized and would not stabilize a bullet. Various reasons have been put forth for this error: that the bore was intended to be chrome-plated and then wasn't, that the barrels were intended for .223 rifles, that the bullets might keyhole at SHORT range but would stabilize further out.

Century made a bad situation worse by having a warranty that started when the rifle was shipped from THEM, leaving little or no time on the 1 year warranty when it was finally purchased by an end-user. For rifles within the warranty period Century initially refused to correct the problem.

The bore size was corrected in later builds. I own two Century Tantals which I'm fond of, both have build dates after June 2011 and both shoot just fine with no keyholing at any range.

If the rifle you're looking at is NIB look for the build date on a tag.

Otherwise give the rifle a good inspection. In particular shoulder the rifle and visually check to make certain the front sight is on straight.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, first off thanks for the replies, I bought the rifle on Saturday morning, it is a Century build, so I missed out on the warning. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet due to a lack of available ammo in the area, I ordered some & it should be in on Friday. I'll be able to determine if I'm going to have barrel issues this weekend.

As far as mods go, I took off the wire stock & replaced it with a VLTOR reciever extension and threw on a Magpul CTR stock that I had lying around, totally prefer this set up, though the "shims" that VLTOR provided didn't really work out, one fit "height" wise, but it was to "thick" to properly align the screws to screw in the extension, so I had to leave the shim out.

I'll send more updates as I continue along the process.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Any sign of the rifle's build date?

Otherwise I'd shoot it before spending a lot of money on upgrades.

Best price I've seen for AK74 mags is at Copes Distributing.

http://www.copesdistributing.com/polish-tantal-545x39-steel-30rd-used-p-3219.html?osCsid=gn2lcfophbu73b4nu6m277ou51

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I see the original date, 1991, with 11 inside of a oval right before that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#6]
The build date I'm referring to is the date Century built the rifle from parts.

Time will tell, keep us updated.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#7]
A well built, properly built Tantal REALLY is a nice AK, and more accurate than a certain other, Bulgy Build I just spent $729 on ....

My question: yours come with the Bipod ? .... It is not fancy but works.

Congrats !
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 12:20:05 AM EDT
[#8]
When shopping for a TANTAL,  what's the best way to inspect the barrel to make sure it's not 5.56 ?
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I've seen some people post that the bullet from a 5.45x39 round can be fully inserted into the bore at the muzzle if the bore is sized for a .223.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#10]
From my own Tantal re-barrling

Bad

Good (GM replacement)

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Good idea
But what if you order one online

Is there some way to tell by serial number or something ?
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good idea
But what if you order one online

Is there some way to tell by serial number or something ?
View Quote

If you buy a Century Tantal from Centerfire, Classic Arms, or J&G'S Sales you should be good to go. They only sell the current manufacture of those rifles. I would be leery of mom and pop gun stores because they could have an older one with problems.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally was able to get it out to the range this afternoon, no issues that stood out, was able to get it zeroed in enough to hit a decent size of steel about 200 yrds out. No apparent tumbling of rounds when shooting closer in. Pretty happy with the purchase thus far.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Hi there. I am selling my Polish Tantal 1993 made by Interarms. Please email me if you are interested to [email protected].  I have two 30 round magazines.  Unable to ship to California and will only ship to an authorized FFL.  The Tantal is brand new in box. Never fired.  I can email you photos.  Can't figure out how to upload them here for some reason. :/

Thanks!

Alley
Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top