Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That rear stock and pistol grip are completely asinine!  WTF were they thinking?

Quit whining about the stock & pistol grip.
That is disposable, just for the purpose of the US part count.

Focus on the big picture! The Barrel!

WTF is that contraption they hung off the barrel. They spec the barrel with a Tantal
type profile instead of a straight barrel w/pinned FH as original.  

Edit!
Hell, with the original barrel, it could have been sold in ban states as the barrel
is not threaded, just removed the pinned flash hider & bayo lug!

Agreed. I think people are outraged at the furniture that comes at the $1300 price point. They are indeed disposable, but at the cost of purchasing a more authentic set for more money.

I am with you that the barrel is an abomination. The collar present after the threads are confusing. Why would the Polish Military, according to IO, revert to this type of design after moving away from it?

VLODPG, would it be possible for Radom to send the left-side selector parts separately, and have the importer/distributor install them here?

ETA: 3 pages of Royal Tiger Archer disgust.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That rear stock and pistol grip are completely asinine!  WTF were they thinking?

WTF is that contraption they hung off the barrel. They spec the barrel with a Tantal

Edit!
Hell, with the original barrel, it could have been sold in ban states as the barrel

Agreed. I think people are outraged at the furniture that comes at the $1300 price point. They are indeed disposable, but at the cost of purchasing a more authentic set for more money.

I am with you that the barrel is an abomination. The collar present after the threads are confusing. Why would the Polish Military, according to IO, revert to this type of design after moving away from it?

VLODPG, would it be possible for Radom to send the left-side selector parts separately, and have the importer/distributor install them here?

That would be up to IO to request it but I doubt they would!

It is a shame that Marshall Arms didn't get to import them, they would have been 100% correct.

IO probably has deeper pockets than TMA

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit!

That would be up to IO to request it but I doubt they would!

It is a shame that Marshall Arms didn't get to import them, they would have been 100% correct.

IO probably has deeper pockets than TMA

I'm sure they do, but no finesse or sense. If you're going to import something for the first time it has to be done right. Potential customers would actually appreciate that.

What's funny is I haven't read a single independent buyer review about these rifles. I doubt they have sold very many in the current configuration. I really hope another importer comes along and has these problems fixed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm sure they do, but no finesse or sense. If you're going to import something for the first time it has to be done right. Potential customers would actually appreciate that.

What's funny is I haven't read a single independent buyer review about these rifles. I doubt they have sold very many in the current configuration. I really hope another importer comes along and has these problems fixed.

I have been waiting for someone to buy one & tell us how great they are.

It would make a nice basis for a Tantal in 5.56 though!  If I was a betting man, my guess that barrel is cut to fit a Tantal brake.

Link Posted: 6/7/2012 11:18:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, Atlantic is $100 cheaper than IO.  Maybe if more importers get into selling them, the prices will be even lower.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:41:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, Atlantic is $100 cheaper than IO.  Maybe if more importers get into selling them, the prices will be even lower.

IO's prices are at $1300. So is Atlantic's. Not sure where you're seeing it's cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like it's official. No third rivet in the rear trunnion, like there should be.

Some conflicting photos from IO. Earlier ones show the third rivet. The newest ones, including from Atlantic, do not.

And here's some of the real thing:

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Just to tease you guys a little, some Mini Beryl (semi auto) fun in this video I made yesterday:

http://youtu.be/SQYqZ8-_4Gg

Info on Mini configuration here:

http://montrala.blogspot.com/2012/06/fun-day-in-obuchowo.html

BTW I got questions about why I do not keep my Mini in original form. The purpose I own it, is to modify it, see what works, what does not and how this can improve handling and ergonomy. And I just started
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Tag for more info. Yeah they're on par with the Arsenals on price, but I'd rather support an ally in Afghanistan. And I like their vodka.

Make the mag adapter available, and I'll buy one, crap furniture and all. What is the deal with the third rivet? (I'm an AR guy)
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks like it's official. No third rivet in the rear trunnion, like there should be.

Some conflicting photos from IO. Earlier ones show the third rivet. The newest ones, including from Atlantic, do not.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/large/I.o-Archer-6.jpg

http://www.royaltigerimports.com/images/stories/ProductImages/LongGuns/Archer_AK47_Right.jpg

And here's some of the real thing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/Catch22/Zielonka240904/NewBeryl1.jpg

http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/beryl5.jpg

Just when you thought things couldn't get worse.  :-(

It sucks for me to be a purest!

We don't ask for much, we just want it correct.

I should just stick with my AR's

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe the folding stock version will have the third rivet?  I agree, I hope the mag adapter comes out.  I want one for my SLR106.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe the folding stock version will have the third rivet?  I agree, I hope the mag adapter comes out.  I want one for my SLR106.

I'm not sure if the mag adapter has cross-platform usability. It might be exclusive to the Archer/Beryl. However, Magnolia State Armory makes an AR mag adapter. I have heard mixed reviews on theirs, though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Tag for NC.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 1:09:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Paging Josh at IO for clarification and info...
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#15]
It does look sweet, and I would love to have one. But at that price, I might as well buy a VEPR, or Arsenal. That said if they bring the price down I would love to own one.

Also TAG
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Monday morning bump.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#18]
tag for updates.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I am sick and tired of companies taking shortcuts to make everything cheaper to produce(IO, not FB). I bought one of IO's "Polish" AK's and it is more Romanian than Polish. If you make a good product, people will pay more for it. If they had made the Archer look like this it would sell, even at $1300!!!

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am sick and tired of companies taking shortcuts to make everything cheaper to produce(IO, not FB). I bought one of IO's "Polish" AK's and it is more Romanian than Polish. If you make a good product, people will pay more for it. If they had made the Archer look like this it would sell, even at $1300!!!

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u266/poorman_photo/Beryl-5_56-AK-500x240-1.jpg

I think it is possible that soon you will be able to get Archer looking like that. But believe me, you do not want to have old style POPC (top rail) like on this photo.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u266/poorman_photo/Beryl-5_56-AK-500x240-1.jpg

I think it is possible that soon you will be able to get Archer looking like that. But believe me, you do not want to have old style POPC (top rail) like on this photo.

Was not aware there was a new top rail, do tell?

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This one?

http://robertrtg.com/berylrail.html
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are several different generations of the top cover rail. Current production is on version 3. The earlier version was heavy and did not lock in very well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There are several different generations of the top cover rail. Current production is on version 3. The earlier version was heavy and did not lock in very well.

Current rail is 4th generation. There were 2 generation of adjustable rails and 2 generations of non-adjustable ones. 4th generation is first one with Picatinny rail and lightest one. I have 3rd generation on my Mini Beryl. It is Weaver, but it is tad lower than 4th generation. Rails are called POPC (Podstawa Optycznych Przyrządów Celowniczych - Base for Optical Aiming Devices).

Newest generation (prototype) features rail mounted on top of receiver cover (like TWS, but with hinge on rear of former rear sight base), rail on rear sight base and railed handguard. There is no front sight. Rifle was presented with Troy flip up sights.  I think HK416 style sights would be better, but factory wanted co-witness with Eotech.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Current rail is 4th generation. There were 2 generation of adjustable rails and 2 generations of non-adjustable ones. 4th generation is first one with Picatinny rail and lightest one. I have 3rd generation on my Mini Beryl. It is Weaver, but it is tad lower than 4th generation. Rails are called POPC (Podstawa Optycznych Przyrządów Celowniczych - Base for Optical Aiming Devices).

Newest generation (prototype) features rail mounted on top of receiver cover (like TWS, but with hinge on rear of former rear sight base), rail on rear sight base and railed handguard. There is no front sight. Rifle was presented with Troy flip up sights.  I think HK416 style sights would be better, but factory wanted co-witness with Eotech.

Pics?

Also, which generation is the above? Gen 3?
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This one?

http://robertrtg.com/images/berylrail.jpg

http://robertrtg.com/berylrail.html

I called RTG and they don't seem to know If the Mount will work on the IO Archer, I am looking to buy one of these Rifles from IO so does anyone know for sure if this mount from RTG will in fact work on the IO Gun?
Thanks, HDH
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool. Thanks for the info.

I would wait to buy one of these. I am hoping that a better version will come out in the near future.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics?

One on above is 1st generation.

Here is 3rd generation on my Mini Beryl:

Beryl 3rd or 4th genetation POPC will work on Archer. Archers in config available now, are made to mil-spec with following changes:

1. US muzzle device with barrel profile prepared to accept this device
2. US made pistol grip and stock
3. Magazine opening made in USA
4. US made trigger group
5. No fire selector
6. 2 rear trunnion rivets

I know that factory want to have closer insight and involvement in all parts and procedures that are used to bring rifle to US requirements, to assure final product meets technical and quality standards set in FB Radom.

Regarding 2 rear trunnion rivets, I've seen civi Beryls both with 2 or 3 rivets. Looks like factory originally assumed 3 rivets are needed only rifles ready to use grenade launcher and barrel launched grenades. Civilian rifles made as part or military lot get 3 rivets and chrome lined barrel, while made in lot specifically for civi market got 2 rivets and QPQ nitrided barrels (for better accuracy). Archers got chrome lined barrels, because factory got info that those are more desired in US than QPQ nitrided ones.

Great read on Beryl story from my friend Leszek, with lot of pictures here:

http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=295

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/montrala/Camera%20Awesome%20Photos/IMG_0154a.jpg

Beryl 3rd or 4th genetation POPC will work on Archer. Archers in config available now, are made to mil-spec with following changes:

4. US made trigger group
5. No fire selector

I know that factory want to have closer insight and involvement in all parts and procedures that are used to bring rifle to US requirements, to assure final product meets technical and quality standards set in FB Radom.

Regarding 2 rear trunnion rivets, I've seen civi Beryls both with 2 or 3 rivets. Looks like factory originally assumed 3 rivets are needed only rifles ready to use grenade launcher and barrel launched grenades. Civilian rifles made as part or military lot get 3 rivets and chrome lined barrel, while made in lot specifically for civi market got 2 rivets and QPQ nitrided barrels (for better accuracy). Archers got chrome lined barrels, because factory got info that those are more desired in US than QPQ nitrided ones.

Wow, thanks for the info, and the link. Feel free to post more pics too.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I just hope that IO does not screw the pooch on this one, or, some one else starts bringing them in. Hell, FB could start a US subsidiary and do it themselves! It seems IO has the anti-Midas touch, everything with their finger prints turns to shit! The Pioneer Arms AK COULD have been sooo much more than a pile of Romanian parts.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/montrala/Camera%20Awesome%20Photos/IMG_0154a.jpg

4. US made trigger group
5. No fire selector

Damn, are you trying to make it 922R compliant

Do you have the silly 5 round mag limit in Poland?? Yours does not have the third rivet like most civilian AK photos I have seen from Poland.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Do you have the silly 5 round mag limit in Poland?? Yours does not have the third rivet like most civilian AK photos I have seen from Poland.

We do have 5 round mag limit for multishot hunting rifles, so factory makes 5 round magazines. But mine is not for hunting. I just think 20rd mag makes slick package on Mini. 30 rounder make good reload magazines kept in pouches

As to stock and stuff, I just wanted to get good cheekweld for RDS use. I'm AR15 shooter mostly (shooting piston HK). But I'm working on installing Micro to co-witness with irons, so I will probably go back original stock. Original pistol grip is not comfortable for me, this SAW style grip is. When it works, it can even be Tapco for me. Trigger is Red Star Arms adjustable - need some gusmithing to fit into Beryl but nothing I could not achieve with hacksaw and hammer

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We do have 5 round mag limit for multishot hunting rifles, so factory makes 5 round magazines. But mine is not for hunting. I just thing 20rd mag makes slick package on Mini. 30 rounder make good reload magazines kept in pouches

As to stock and stuff, I just wanted to get good cheekweld for RDS use. I'm AR15 shooter mostly (shooting piston HK). But I'm working on installing Micro to co-witness with irons, so I will probably go back original stock. Original pistol grip is not comfortable for me, this SAW style grip is. When it works, it can even be Tapco for me. Trigger is Red Star Arms adjustable - need some gusmithing to fit into Beryl but nothing I could not achieve with hacksaw and hammer

Taht is cool, there is a mag capacity limit for hunting here as well. I think it is down to three in my area. But, unlimited for target shooting. I just wish that stupid 922R thing would change. It was done for the same reason that "foreign" auto weapons were banned in 1968, the US arms manufacture lobby. Don't think they actually care about gun rights, they care about profits.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Already under beating ... I mean discussion!... here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/144169_Polish_Archer_Review.html

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Heres a photo from Afghanistan,

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I just wanted to  say  "Thank You"  to Montrala for all his work on this whole project.  I desperatley want one of these, but I want one done right, and I don't have the funds to replace stuff.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 12:36:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#41]
One of the people in the video actually says of the I.O. AK74 "Machined and made all American parts, a re-imagination of what the AK could have been if it actually had some workmanship put into it". Wow, he obviously has never seen a true Polish, Russian, or Bulgarian factory AK if he thinks the I.O. is the cream of the crop

I do like how they said that the Archer will have a more original style muzzle break, and a 22LR conversion kit soon!
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted: and a 22LR conversion kit soon!

22lr conversion kit is a prototype and it actually is.... cancelled. Instead FB Radom plans to build complete .22lr rifle.

I had opportunity to shoot one of prototypes. Worked flawless, while we did what we can to make it jam.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#43]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QflEPjMRIfg

Comments?

If you ask me this Guy is drinking too much IO kool aid.

HDH.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#44]
tag for updates.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Comments?

HDH.

It's obvious he doesn't know much about AK's. It's also not his rifle. Seems like he received a model from IO to review, and then he promptly returned it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 1:22:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comments?

HDH.

It's obvious he doesn't know much about AK's. It's also not his rifle. Seems like he received a model from IO to review, and then he promptly returned it.

It's kind of funny my RTI order form has this rifle's (in the video) SN marked out and a little higher # of my current rifle.
Im really impressed with it, I have yet to put it on paper to see if it really shoots moa. fit and finish is better than my Arsenals but not by much.

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab36/samuraijesse/0A70AE5C-D461-4E43-B68C-48F71DDF9609-149-0000007553BD29EB.jpg
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comments?

HDH.

Yeah your correct all he seems to know are the IO talking points, Archer has a 1-9 Barrel not a 1-10. They also keep on talking about the folding stock that they don't even sell, what a joke IO is. I own one of these rifles and it is a VG rifle indeed. Too bad IO had to be the ones to market them in the U.S.

IO's domestic line of AK's are Garbage, I know I had 2 of them.
HDH.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comments?

HDH.

It's kind of funny my RTI order form has this rifle's (in the video) SN marked out and a little higher # of my current rifle.
Im really impressed with it, I have yet to put it on paper to see if it really shoots moa. fit and finish is better than my Arsenals but not by much.

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab36/samuraijesse/0A70AE5C-D461-4E43-B68C-48F71DDF9609-149-0000007553BD29EB.jpg

FA, where did the Stock come from. Was It IO/ Royal Tiger and what did you pay for it.
Thanks. (I may get one myself)

HDH.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Got it from RTI  for $149 when I got the gun.
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top