Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
AK's in order of quality (Page 2 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By Templar:
The Yugoslavians never chromed their barrels.

They were the only county to my knowledge that didn't.

Valmet barrels aren't chromed either.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the info! I am brand new to the AK seen and will attempt my first build on an AMD-65. As I understand it, I will be starting with a good quality kit.  After I get back to work ( recovering from back operation), now I'll know what kind of AK to buy allready built. Great input from a great site!!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
VEPR .308 early model wood.  I love that gun.  Excellent construction, clean, and beau-T-ful!  And get this, I can actually hit what I'm aiming at, unlike a 7.62X39 AK!
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had a few AK's in my gun safe in the past.  I have a Vepr K and love it.  It is heavy.  The Krebs KTR is my end-all-be-all AK.
My .1/2 cents
Riz
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a Norinco AK and like an idiot I got rid of it. I sure wish I had it back.
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 11:00:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xcibes] [#8]
People around this forum seem to despise Romanian AKs and while the current crop may be absolute CRAP, I have an Intrac MkII that is absolutely fantastic, true, the finish was not all that great, but the wood was nice, and it shot very well. It was a solid gun. I had it converted to an AK74 by Chris at AK-USA and it looks even better, the enamel used by Chris is fantrastic and I will have him use it for all my future AKs from him. Also, one more thing that most people don't mentin is that the early Romanian AKs used military receivers, they had the indentation for the third pin AND they had both bumps under the triger pin as the altest Russian AKs. The dimples look nice, and finally these are the only AK receivers I know of that have absolutely NO import marks. All the marks are on the rear sight base and the trunnion. This makes a huge difference, at least for me. In fact,I like it so much that I just bought a new one from a fellow board member. Also, I just saw the SLR105 at Templar's gun store and these, although they have a real receiver have only ONE hump and no third pin indentation....I'm still buying on though...

Link Posted: 6/4/2005 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I have owned a Bulgarian SA93 for years.  It was imported by KBI I think. I think its the best AK I have ever shot.
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I just picked up a MAADI, it looks like it was imported by Intrec, i was told it was pre importation but I'm not sure, it does have a side folder and a slanted flash hider. So far it shoots great, I have had no problems and its pretty dead on. If anybody has any info on this AK it would be greatly appriciated.
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Mak90 and a Maadi MISR. The Mak90 was way better in fit and finish than the Maadi before I refinished it, replaced the stock and fixed the front sight. I still like the Mak90 better. They are very well built and extremely reliable and they used to be dirt cheap. I just saw a used Mak90 at a gun store today, they want $300 for it. I just might buy it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 12:56:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By Dmart97:
I just picked up a MAADI, it looks like it was imported by Intrec, i was told it was pre importation but I'm not sure, it does have a side folder and a slanted flash hider. So far it shoots great, I have had no problems and its pretty dead on. If anybody has any info on this AK it would be greatly appriciated.

99.999% of the Intracs were caught on the docks and "demilitarized". If the bayonet lug is shaved off it's not "pre-ban"...
I actually had three(consecutively serial numbered) at the start of the ban, that still had their full lugs and no muzzle nut tacked on. The intracs have a really crappy finish but for about $100 bucks you can get it refinished. For less than that I built my sandblaster, bought an airbrush and now I'm just waiting to get my Gun Kote to finish up one I saved from the scrapheap ...
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Hi,

But AK made in IZMASH (Saïga MK01), it's good or bad quality ??

ThX        
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By frenchi:
Hi,

But AK made in IZMASH (Saïga MK01), it's good or bad quality ??

ThX        

Heavy RPK receivers...they kick ass!
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#17]
okay, good hanks
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 1:58:36 AM EDT
[#18]
So where do Vectors rate?  Or are they considered polish?
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Hasn't there been some QC problems with the Arsenal M7 lately? I remember some bruhaha on another board a few months ago, maybe gunco.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 1:44:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ttman] [#21]
i have to agree on the chinese AKs.  heavy, quality AKs w/nice strong springs, thicker reciever & barrel.  my fav is the 1 w/the big folding spike bayonet, milled or stamped.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey guys I am new to AKs so I am checking out what is right for me.

I am looking for a quality rifle.

I am between a Arsenal SAM 7 and a SAR1.

Difference in price is 50 bucks.

I figure go with the SAM 7 even though it doesnt have a threaded barrel or bay lug but very few rounds.

What do you experts think ?

Thanks for your opinions

John
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Easiest question in the world to answer..
ARSENAL
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, I can only compare between my Polytech Legend and my Norinco MAK-90.

The Polytech is a Ferrari compared to the Norinco Volkswagen. I absolutely LOVE my Polytech!
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Hmmmm, here is my perspective from a select fire view point

1 Tie: Russian/Bulgarian
2 North Korean (accurate as sin)
3 Hungarian
4 Romanian
5 Yugoslavian
6 East German
7 Iraqi
8 Tie Chinese/Egyptian-both have problems that I don't like from time to time.
9 Polish
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:21:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeepcreep] [#27]
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I thought the Iraqis' made their own copy of the Yugo, perhaps I am mistaken. The Iraqi ones I had seen did not seem to work as well as the Yugo ones-perhaps contracts weren't quite a good as mil. prod Zastava.
As for pics. all of my discs w/pics are stateside at the moment I will post some in the future when I get back. Might be awhile though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By KMFDM:

3 Hungarian
4 Romanian
5 Yugoslavian
6 East German
7 Iraqi
9 Polish

How'd you find out that a North Korean AK is accurate? Where can one find a NK (except NK itself) AK outside of North korea?

Ben
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 9:25:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: garr] [#30]

How'd you find out that a North Korean AK is accurate? Where can one find a NK (except NK itself) AK outside of North korea?
Ben

+1. I was thinking the same thing, But then I remembered seeing a couple of NK AK Kits for sale not to long ago! So somehow they got out, Probably confiscated (Their Previous owners are now busy with their 72 virgins)  from the PLO, Demilled & sold as parts.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Remember, I said "selective fire"

They were not kits they were the  real deal, I run into many things in my travels. Also NK PPSh 41s are pretty darned accurate also.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#33]
As far as accuracy is concerned, for the 7,62 variants, my vote goes to the Yugo/Serb (Zastava) M-70/B1; the only variant which I have seen a considerable difference in accuracy... Polish, Russian, Bulgarian, DDR & Hungarian - differences being almost non-existant in regards to accuracy. I've never seen a Romanian or Chinese 7.62 variant that out shot any of the prior mentioned. Egyptian = the worst. I've never fired a NK variant so I can't comment there; but, from what I've handled - wasn't too impressed w/ the quality.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Going my materials and construction a Yugo AK would probably be the most accurate.  No chrome lining=more accurate.  The heavy duty construction would also help accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:59:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Originally Posted By KMFDM:

3 Hungarian
4 Romanian
5 Yugoslavian
6 East German
7 Iraqi
9 Polish

Ben

Actually, they are exported to quite a few places.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:30:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I've had Cinese , Hungarian, and my Maadi. All functioned flawlessly. But I would have to say that, for the money, ya can'tbeat these rifles, any of them![
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:33:13 AM EDT
[#37]
The NK is as ugly as sin but I could not get the few I've run into to stop working. Chinese are peculiar never know for sure when you get a good one and their springs suck they "set" too quickly, I've never heard a good thing about a Tantal from anyone who had one inflicted upon them. Egyptians have a lot of FTFeed probs in my experience. East German ok. Hungarian a bit of experience with them and I like them alot. Romanian Military production are pretty solid. Russian is what everybody wants for good reason. The Bulgies' are very nice indeed and a pretty close tie for the Russian.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:55:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I have shot several kinds of AK and I like the Hungarian SA85M the best. Fit and finish was top rate an the wood was BEAUTIFUL!!!! The only AK that I have seen that was better made then the Hungarian was an Arsenel but at more then twice the price.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I just ordered a Polish underfolder parts kit from Bob Williams that will hopefully fall somewhere in the mid-80's date-wise.  I suppose no matter how well I do on the build using a Global 1.0mm receiver I'll be at the bottom of the list, or was this a good time for polish kits and since this will be rebuilt on a nice receiver, maybe the outlook is good?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#41]
How are the Ohio Rapid Fire AKs? Are they considered Bulgarian?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#43]
It was one that I saw in a Joeken advertisement, but I just found their site and it is indeed made with Bulgarian parts, with the receiver, gas piston, and other parts made in the US.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By -Tex-:
Joeken

...not the best of reputations, I just see.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:33:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KMFDM] [#45]
The Poles I talked to in A-stan carried M4s (Canadian mfr. I believe)-they told me the M4 was more reliable than their Tantals not the other AKs mind you-they told me just the Tantal.
The Lituanian  soldiers used the G-36 because the said it worked more reliably than the *&^%&() Polish stuff they were issued-I deleted the expletives that were used.

That is not good reviews for an AK IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for this thread you guys.  I'm learning what I need to know here too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Bah my cheapo romanian wasr-10 has ate about 2k rounds and is still in flawless condition, well flawless mechanically at least. ahhahaha the damn reciever and barrel have been invaded by rust. But who cares its a freaking ak47 not a show gun.  As long as the thing pumps ammo and functions properly im happy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By AkTactical591:
Bah my cheapo romanian wasr-10 has ate about 2k rounds and is still in flawless condition, well flawless mechanically at least. ahhahaha the damn reciever and barrel have been invaded by rust. But who cares its a freaking ak47 not a show gun.  As long as the thing pumps ammo and functions properly im happy.

Keep letting it rust, it will do more than just ruin it'slooks. I am happy you're not letting a nicer rifle rust away..........
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 1:09:12 AM EDT
[#49]
OK.  Your opinions on the Gordon Technologies SLR-100 with milled Bulgarian receiver?

Thanks.

Bud
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't agree with the Romanian being below Egypt at all. I have more experience with the Egyptian AKs then any other (+ I own two Romanian) and I have never seen or used a Maadi that I thought was anything other than the lowest AK. Granted I haven't ever used a WASR and the only Maadi I fired that had Steyr parts had a crooked gas tube and didn't like to eject. I don't believe that the Maadis are all total crap; I just dispute that the average Romanian rifles should be listed beneath them.

I'd rate most Bulgarian rifles above any other I've fired (the action even feels smoother) but I dislike one cosmetic thing about the Arsenal rifles: the finish barely lasts longer than a Century CETME.
Page / 6
AK's in order of quality (Page 2 of 6)
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top