Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2015 7:08:33 AM EDT
I'm sorry it's Prob  been asked to death. But I'm looking for my first ak and as much as I've been reading on it. I still can't decide what to buy, I know Im not wanting to drop a chunk of money on an arsenal yet because I'm wanting to find out how I like the platform to begin with. So that being said I'm the type of guy that like to work on his guns, I've put together piles of ar's and really wish I had the time and money to build some ak's but with a fresh baby that's not gonna happen for a few years, I'm the type of guy that tears a gun apart as far as possible and puts it back together before I ever pull the trigger on it. So with that in mind and the fact that I want to be able to accessories and swap parts. What would be the best buy for me in the $600 price range.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
WASR, without question. I prefer the NPAP but the aftermarket for Yugos is relatively small compared to the standard AKM's.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#2]
WASR or O-PAP
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Apparently, Back-end converted Saigas are selling for under $600 now.  I would jump on one of those before a WASR or NPAP.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#4]
My WASR-10 was made in 2013.  It is perfect.  I love this gun.  Get one while you can.  One day they will be considered a prize catch.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#5]
AMD-65 (only FEG/TGI, not Century or other assemblers).  Spend $200 on ergonomic and tactical enhancements and you have a gem.  I've had 30+ AKs and this is by far the overall best shooter for the $.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a wasr from atlantic. Took it to the range, no cleaning. Perfect 210 rounds down range.

Sold my npap underfolder. The soft metal reports did it for me (actually used that $ to help get an aug)
Still have an underfolder. M70ab2
Great truck gun
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't discount ban era rifles, MAK90's, SA85M, SLR95's can all be had in that range and they are great rifles.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Try and find a Romanian SAR-1.  They run between $550-$650.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm sorry it's Prob  been asked to death. But I'm looking for my first ak and as much as I've been reading on it. I still can't decide what to buy, I know Im not wanting to drop a chunk of money on an arsenal yet because I'm wanting to find out how I like the platform to begin with. So that being said I'm the type of guy that like to work on his guns, I've put together piles of ar's and really wish I had the time and money to build some ak's but with a fresh baby that's not gonna happen for a few years, I'm the type of guy that tears a gun apart as far as possible and puts it back together before I ever pull the trigger on it. So with that in mind and the fact that I want to be able to accessories and swap parts. What would be the best buy for me in the $600 price range.
View Quote

OPAPs are just about all gone. But heavier receiver, same price and a lot more gun than others for $600.

There is the yugo furniture thingy.

Looking across several dealers as I write, there isn't much to choose from unfortunately since recent news events and presidential debates. And what few are in stock like the $500 WASRs and NPAPs, they want 600-650 for them.

My OPAP weighs almost two pounds more than my WASR....

Palmetto recently put out a batch of their first AKs, I love mine. I assume another improved batch is coming, and the lifetime warranty thingy is great. You sure can't beat their ARs on performance/price.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#10]
WASR 10 from Atlantic Firearms, my friend.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]
It hurts to say it, but the new Century US made rifles look OK from what I can tell. Handled one but didn't shoot it. WASR a good bet. Tempted to get one of these AMD jobs, Classic has great customer service. Not sure if I like the vertical fore grip under a branding iron concept, but they look cool. https://www.classicfirearms.com/amd-63-7-62x39-rifle-with-solid-stock-phoenix-stock-type2
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It hurts to say it, but the new Century US made rifles look OK from what I can tell. Handled one but didn't shoot it. WASR a good bet. Tempted to get one of these AMD jobs, Classic has great customer service. Not sure if I like the vertical fore grip under a branding iron concept, but they look cool. https://www.classicfirearms.com/amd-63-7-62x39-rifle-with-solid-stock-phoenix-stock-type2
View Quote

I bought the new Century RAS47 a few weeks ago. So far I am very impressed. I have had some old Century junk in the past but this new American made AK is good quality. I love my old WASR10/63 but this new one is much better. Shot to the sights right out of the box. The maple wood furniture is kind of growing on me. Can't wait to put some good ammo through it and see what it does on paper.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I would say the N-PAP under folder. But I like my AK's to be foreign made.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#14]
The VEPR from K-Var or Atlantic is easily the best value in AKdom.  Russian rifle for the mid 600 range.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 5:20:26 AM EDT
[#15]
probably going to get some flak for this but I got a century RAS47 and I love that thing. shoots great and I've never had any issues with it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a new Milled Century and have blasted every kind of ammo through it with out an issue.
May be some issues in the 90s with QC but this is built like a tank.
I can compare it to my Poly's, Norinco's and my one Sagia.  But that is not fair.
But for the price you could get 3 or 4 Centurians for one Poly and not look back.
For that price range it is worth a look.
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top