Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2015 12:13:12 AM EDT
Hey all.

Looking to buy either the Hungarian AK or Yugo. Hungarian is what they call the AMD-63 with the Tapco stock ($499) and the Yugo is the N-Pap with thumb hole stock ($479)

I like solid stocks and I'm not wanting to spend more than about $550 for this one. Just curious on the opinions between these two options. Any issues or is there are an obvious winner?

Thanks

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#1]
NPAP, no question.

The NPAP is manufactured by Zastava - a real military arsenal - in Serbia and is loosely patterned on the old Yugoslavian M70-series of rifles.  It is built with all new factory parts and comes with a military CHF barrel.  Obviously, some parts are replaced with US-made parts for 922r compliance - typically on an NPAP those would be the slant brake, gas piston, pistol grip, and FCG, but since this comes with poly furniture and a thumb-hole stock, I can't be sure which parts were swapped.

The AMD-63 is built here in the US using de-mil'd parts kits and a U.S.-made barrel. The Tapco stock isn't particularly desirable and was added to make an AMD-63 out of what I assume was an AMD-65 parts-kit. US-made barrels aren't terrible but a factory CHF barrel is superior.

If you plan on replacing the furniture please note that you will need Yugo-specific furniture; standard AKM furniture won't work. It's not that big of a deal, just something to be aware of. In this case it's kind of a moot point since the Hungarian rifle also uses some non-AKM parts.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with the PAP for all reasons mentioned above.  Find someone selling a standard wood stock or whatever you prefer and ditch the thumbhole, unless of course if you prefer it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yugo ftw.... find a strait stock version and ride on.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#4]
That so-called 'AMD63' is junk. First, there never was an 'AMD63'. The Hungarian military rifle that had the foregrip and naked gas tube was the 'AKM63'. Soon, they developed the paratrooper/tanker version called the 'AMD65'. They say it has a 'heavy-wall' FEG receiver, but the FEGs previously imported never had a thicker receiver. FEG has been out of the gun business since around 2001 so I don't know where they are getting more and more receivers. Then you have the crummy USA barrel. I wouldn't give you $200 for one of them.
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top