Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/3/2014 2:23:12 PM EDT
Shepards hook replacements?

So I never seem to be able to get the factory shepards hook back in after removing it.
Have seen several different replacements from a Tapco 'Chinese' style wire that is held in place by the safety selector to plate style pin holddrs by Tapco, Krebs and Red Star Arms.

And have also read various pros and cons of these.

So what do you guys use and why?
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Tapco plate in my Tantal and had a Red Star plate in a Bulgy AK74.

They both do/did their job.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The first thing I do to a new AK is remove the shepherds hook and replace it with a trigger pin plate. You can get the them for $5 and makes reassembly a breeze. I only see upsides to installing one.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The first thing I do to a new AK is remove the shepherds hook and replace it with a trigger pin plate. You can get the them for $5 and makes reassembly a breeze. I only see upsides to installing one.
View Quote

Have you found one to work better than others?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#4]
They're all exactly the same.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Tapco retaining plates in all my AK's, they work perfectly, nothing to fail about them really, you can find them for as cheap as 5 bucks a lot of the time on ebay.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:12:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

wrong, tapco has an "install ledge" that can jam up the bolt on certain AK's. Me and and my buddies Arsenal's did NOT work with the tapco.

Bought Kreb's retaining plates, never looked back.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

wrong, tapco has an "install ledge" that can jam up the bolt on certain AK's. Me and and my buddies Arsenal's did NOT work with the tapco.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Srsly? Instead of spending two seconds with a pair of tin snips you are recommending a part that cost double? And all over a 1/4" chunk of sheet metal?

Not for nothing, but IMO if a part works with every other AK made, but won't work with a $1200 AK, i'd say the problem was poor design of the AK, not the easily-modifiable $5 dollar part.

This pic shows the handy "ledge" pretty well, doesn't it seem a little silly not to just cut that tiny chunk off if your rifle won't work with it?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#8]
TAPCO retaining plate.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have always used the shepperds hook. The AK has been using them from day one with no problems so why change to something else. I have never had a problem with them. Its been proven to work.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't see a problem with the shepards hook, as long as it's installed correctly
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#11]
If the retaining plate was such a great idea, Mr K would have used it instead of the wire device. Oh, wait a minute, that's the excuse for not getting a buffer. The wire device works great for me. No need for the plate. as there's no need to remove the FCG. GARY
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#12]
There is a reason to remove the FCG. Reshaping & polishing the G2 trigger. While it may have been designed with the hook, I find it difficult to argue the ease of use of the plate. I hate the damn shepherds hook but only because it's a bitch to reinstall. All my AKs have red star arms plates
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I use 5mm E clips
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I will second the "E" clips. I actually am testing the use of an E clip and a hitch pin (Hair pin thingy) all in one gun. They seem to be holding up after a few months. Not definitive yet.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I prefer the wire retaining hooks. I've tried two different plates. In addition to they are sometimes a pain to remove, I found one or both axis pins rotate due to the plates not engaging the axis pin groove.

I prefer the wire that slips on the cross brace and goes under the hammer pin and over the trigger pin.

#2 in the image. I do hate the #4 retainers I received in a Yugo

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#16]
removing and re-installing the sheppards crook (wire) and E-Clips means you have to have tools.  

The plate is great because you can strip it all down & then and put it all back in WITHOUT ANY TOOLS.

Your AK got wet, sandy, muddy ect...  (I can take it all apart to clean, dry & lube any time any place)

Quick, easy and cheap.   WIN, WIN & WIN!!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Srsly? Instead of spending two seconds with a pair of tin snips you are recommending a part that cost double? And all over a 1/4" chunk of sheet metal?

Not for nothing, but IMO if a part works with every other AK made, but won't work with a $1200 AK, i'd say the problem was poor design of the AK, not the easily-modifiable $5 dollar part.

http://www.mwgco.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/tapco-AK-47-Retainer_Plate.jpg

This pic shows the handy "ledge" pretty well, doesn't it seem a little silly not to just cut that tiny chunk off if your rifle won't work with it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.mwgco.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/tapco-AK-47-Retainer_Plate.jpg

I think the phrase "$1200 AK" sums it up pretty well. Of course some are north of $1400 now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
removing and re-installing the sheppards crook (wire) and E-Clips means you have to have tools.  

The plate is great because you can strip it all down & then and put it all back in WITHOUT ANY TOOLS.

Your AK got wet, sandy, muddy ect...  (I can take it all apart to clean, dry & lube any time any place)

BIGGER_HAMMER

View Quote

THIS! AK Builder has Red Star plates for $4.95 each. Buy one for every rifle, and if you ever have a need to take it apart install it. I hate the whole if Eugene Stoner or Mikhail Kalashnikov or John Browning or Dieudonné Saive or whoever didn't put it on it is a waste of time attitude.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#19]
??? What kind of tools do you need?  It is so easy to remove and replace the shepherds hook. You stick your finger in and push down on the hook then push the hammer pin out.  Then rotate the hook and the remove the trigger pin.  To install you repeat the steps.

Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Fuck the wire and use the plate and remember all of the stuff we use was designed for semi ak,,, the orig used auto sear retainer wire,  just use the red star plate works good...
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:07:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I used the red star plate in my SGL and i like how small it is compared to Tapco. It looks built like the plates the Molot uses on Vepr's
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I have used these plates I picked up from apex in a few rifles, they haven't failed yet.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 4:14:26 PM EDT
[#23]
What's the "real" name for the shepherd's hook? I guess I'm too new to know all the "dedicated AK aficionado" terms for AK parts and none of my exploded/parts drawings show a "shepherd's hook"...

6/11. Hmmm, odd. Lots of talk about a part that nobody knows what the name of it is.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What's the "real" name for the shepherd's hook? I guess I'm too new to know all the "dedicated AK aficionado" terms for AK parts and none of my exploded/parts drawings show a "shepherd's hook"...

6/11. Hmmm, odd. Lots of talk about a part that nobody knows what the name of it is.
View Quote

Commonly: "shepard's crook".

Technically: "wire retaining spring" or "receiver pin lock spring."

Technically, technically: something in Russian - since it's a Russian word it doesn't have a "real name" in English, just a roughly translated word or series of words.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 5:17:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I put the Krebs retaining plate in mine and it installed pain free and works great. Never fired it with the stock paper clip in there and I'm ok with that haha
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I just got the red star plate from power custom for my WASR
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#27]
There's a member here that makes them from stainless and sells them in the ee.  They work as well as any of the other plates I've used.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 2:58:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I have no problem with the stock wire and don't find it terribly difficult to install but I lost mine recently during a refinish so I ordered the cnc warrior one for my m92.  Maybe I'll convert all of mine over after I see the ease of install.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I never found the shepards hook to be difficult if you have some picks to use. Doing it by hand/fingers, forget about it. The AK was not meant to have soldiers take apart the trigger group, hence the paper clip/hook making nearly impossible for those pins to walk out. It's an ingenious design if you think about it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I shoot mostly corrosive ammo in my AK's. SOP is a full tear down and flush with hot water prior to normal cleaning. I opt for a plate rather than a wire.

I've had good success with the Power Custom/Red Star unit from Brownells.

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j379pk6zr800zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Frifle-parts%2Ftriggers-parts%2Ftrigger-hardware%2Ftrigger-components%2Ftrigger-pin-retainer-plate-prod25024.aspx
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I use these of course you do not have to get them from CNC. http://www.cncwarrior.com/3-16-Retaining-Ring-E-clips-10pak-p/22963.htm
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a CNC Warrior. A Tapco. And a Red Star.

I like the Red Star the best outta the 3.

Red star drops in and comes out the easiest of the 3 for me.

Tapco was slightly tight around the safety.

Cnc was the simplest of all three, also needed the most fidgeting out of all three.
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top