Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2014 10:18:38 AM EDT
I have built a a few ARs and was going to build an AR in 7.62x39, but then thought maybe I should try to build an AK instead.  It seems like that is more than I want to get into now, so instead I am thinking I will buy one.  My ARs are ~A1s (at a quick glance from 20 ft that is what they look like, though they are not at all correct) since that is the look I like. For the AK I like the look of the (I will call it "old school") wood foregrip and stock that folds under the front.  What should I look for / avoid if I want to get a reliable AR in that style?

Thanks in Advance,

Scott
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't have much of a choice for AKs, so I picked up one of the Saiga rifles.  Never a failure with it yet, just been shooting the cheap Tula stuff from walmart.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Your looking for an Underfolder AK.  The stock folds underneath to the front.  

Im partial to Chinese Ak's.  My one and only AK is an underfolder Mak 90.

There are a lot of benefits to the chinese rifles, but of course there are other good options as well.  I know when it comes to chinese undefolders there is a premium for them, I'm not sure about the other countries UF's though.

Pic to help
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Since you plan on the keeping the wood handguards, I'd say the NPAP is hard to pass up right now. Quality, factory-built rifle that happens to be ridiculously cheap right now. You can find them at a number of retailers at varying prices, but I'd suggest looking at Atlantic for THIS.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.agsarmament.com/ddi-ak47u-bakelite-762x39mm

Read and saw a review by 'MAC' on YouTube about these, looks like a well built milled under-folder AK.
Now the furniture on this one isn't actually 'wood' but it is 'bakelite' which is much better IMHO. Looks old school and to people in 'the know' about AK stuff, can't get much more AK style than bakelite...
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:59:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Between these two which would guys pick? Or is the there a better option? I want fixed stock and all wood furniture.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/ri2169c-n-detail.html?Itemid=0

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/ak47-yugo-zastava-n-pap-fixed-wood-stock-detail.html?Itemid=0

Sorry on an iPad and can't hotlink
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I would buy the Yugo out of those two. Factory built Ak and stamped reciever.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Go Yugo PAP.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would buy the Yugo out of those two. Factory built Ak and stamped reciever.
View Quote

HUH, I would have thought the milled would be better. Thank you

Is there another option you would go to for a few hundred more?
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Stamped isn't necessarily better but I prefer it for a few reasons. Stamped recievers are lighter, they have more standardized accessories and are plenty strong. Theres nothing wrong with milled.

Even for a few hundred more you probably cant beat the Npap. If you want to spend about $500 more you can get a Bulgarian slr107. That would be nicer but wouldnt really do anything a Npap couldn't.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#10]
NPAP, no question. The C39 is just fine, but it's a mutt of a rifle - proprietary parts on a non-standard milled receiver. The NPAP is a factory built rifle, built in a military-arms factory, with a CHF barrel. It has nice fit and finish and could easily fetch $800-900 if that's where they wanted to price it. It deviates slightly from the standard AKM pattern, but it offers better aftermarket support than the lame-duck C39.

ETA: I greatly prefer stamped- to milled-receivers. But that's a preference.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#11]
i just bought a new N-PAP last weekend at the gun show. i was told it was the best AK for the least amount of money. i cant wait to take it to the range. i paid $580 got an extra mag and 60 free rounds
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top