Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/19/2017 2:59:07 PM EDT
Hi, all.

Does anyone know if there’s such a thing as a non-reciprocating charging handle conversion kit of the IWI Galil ACE?  It’s bad enough that IWI moved the charging handle to the left side of the receiver (I *get* why they did it… but I don’t like it), but then they go and leave it as a reciprocating charging handle. So, they keep the reciprocating handle like the original, but move it to the left side of the receiver. Gah!

I love my Galil ACE, but I despise and loathe the reciprocating charging handle on the left side of the right-handed gun.. Good grief… FALs, HKs, and ARs seem to work just fine with non-reciprocating charging handles. Not sure why the IWI designers wanted to leave that part as-is after moving it to the left side of the receiver.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think one exists at the moment... Honestly, I'd rather have it converted back to right hand side and have a side rail, but I doubt that could be done...
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, this weapon would be damned near perfect if they put the charging handle back where it belongs. Silly IWI...
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe you should talk to Davis Tactical Solutions LINCH .

After all.. A Galil is just a fancy AK.

Davis Tactical Solutions LINCH AK Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, this weapon would be damned near perfect if they put the charging handle back where it belongs. Silly IWI...
View Quote
It isn't just the charging handle... Not being forced to put a scope on the dust cover would make it better.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
It's really not that big of a deal... just don't hold the gun wrong.

If it really bothers you, you could throw on an afg or vertical grip, handstop etc in the spot that precludes the high thumb magazine well hold that causes the issue (same on the scar btw).
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If it really bothers you, you could throw on an afg or vertical grip, handstop etc in the spot that precludes the high thumb magazine well hold that causes the issue (same on the scar btw).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't think there is a way to hold it and have the charging handle affect you, Even if you hold it by the magwell, your thumb would have to be back further for it to hit you.
Quoted:
Notch out the top cover on the right side and install an old style Galil bolt carrier on it.  

Or if you aren't going to use the top rail and don't like the left side charging handle, why not just sell it and get an old school galil?  It is set up the way you want, and plenty of railed forends and stock options if you want to switch that stuff up.

Sven
Manticore Arms
Costs. If you're just going for 5.56 its not much of an issue, .308 on the other hand....
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't think there is a way to hold it and have the charging handle affect you, Even if you hold it by the magwell, your thumb would have to be back further for it to hit you.
Costs. If you're just going for 5.56 its not much of an issue, .308 on the other hand....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Notch out the top cover on the right side and install an old style Galil bolt carrier on it.  

Or if you aren't going to use the top rail and don't like the left side charging handle, why not just sell it and get an old school galil?  It is set up the way you want, and plenty of railed forends and stock options if you want to switch that stuff up.

Sven
Manticore Arms
I have rather large hands... it's certainly possible to get smacked by the charging handle if you hold it high at the mag well with thumb up, but I don't know why one would hold it that way after completing the reload given the lack of a bolt release (where it would normally be on the ar/scar etc).

Frankly, I think IWI chose the ideal spot for the ch.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It isn't just the charging handle... Not being forced to put a scope on the dust cover would make it better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't speak for all examples, but on my sample of one Ace pistol the dust cover is so tight that it has no measurable negative effect on accuracy.

So what's the issue?

It shoots as accurately as one can reasonably expect from an ak firing moderate quality ammunition: 2moa+ @ 100 meters (With a good trigger and 3x acog in my case).
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I can't speak for all examples, but on my sample of one Ace pistol the dust cover is so tight that it has no measurable negative effect on accuracy.

So what's the issue?

It shoots as accurately as one can reasonably expect from an ak firing moderate quality ammunition: 2moa+ @ 100 meters (With a good trigger and 3x acog in my case).
View Quote
Call me paranoid but I worry about how it will work in the long run.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what's the issue?

had over 3k round on a x39 acel, still solid as day one. have a friend who has an old IMI galil that has about 8000 rounds fired and the top is still solid.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, I think I try adding a handstop up front. I swapped out the IWI rail covers for some of the much more lower-profile Magpul ladder-type rail covers and that already seems to make it more comfortable for a forward grip. Maybe adding a handstop and the very back of the lower rail (closest to the receiver) would help, too.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Or if you aren't going to use the top rail and don't like the left side charging handle, why not just sell it and get an old school galil?
View Quote
Already got one. :)

Picked up the ACE because I wanted to see if they could improve upon it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:49:40 AM EDT
[#14]
So do you think they made an improvement since you have both?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top