Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/7/2017 11:54:00 AM EDT
Tried this over in the NFA forums and didn't get much of a response, so trying again here.

Looking for feedback on the ACE .308 with a suppressor.  I know the Galil is a member of the AK family, so I don't expect it to be perfect.  I've suppressed enough AKs to know there's an upper bound on that.  But I'd like it to function.  Example, the Sig 556R is easy to put a suppressor on, but the back pressure makes it cycle too fast so it doesn't work without modifications.  I want to avoid that.  With the ACE being $1600+, if falls into the category of "too expensive to buy for the hell of it".  Random AKs under $1000 I have no problems buying to test and tinker with, but above that things need to work without extra money being thrown at it.

I've seen two factoids on the ACE and suppressors; the first being MAC's review of the 7.62x39 version with the overgassing problem, and a recent review from shwat.com where the tester used some magical prototype can on the .308 without any problems.  I've tried contacting IWI directly but they haven't responded to me.

I have an AAC 762-SDN-6 for my .30 cal suppression needs and I don't want to play the crying game with another year+ ATF wait right now.

Appreciate any thoughts!
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have much to add, but everything I've read says the ACE's are over gassed, both the 7.62x39 and the .308.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have much to add, but everything I've read says the ACE's are over gassed, both the 7.62x39 and the .308.
View Quote
The .308 is most definitely overgassed. Chews up brass real good, and tosses them all over the world.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Our Galil Ace pistol in x39 that we turned into a postie is hopelessly overgassed. So much so that it will NOT run with any suppressor, even the Dead Air Wolverine - which mitigates back pressure.

KNS has adjustable pistons for the rifle length Galils of all eras and calibers. The piston for the pistol is coming soon.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have tapped the gas block on my X39 Ace  rifle and installed a screw with a port I drilled.  Think SCAR gas jet, or Black River Tactical gas ports.

Today, I shot several hundred rounds suppressed, and a hundred or so unsuppressed.  100% function.

10-32 x 1/4 18-8 stainless vented set screw.  Drilled 5/64.  Think I can go smaller, but need some number bits.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 2:49:04 AM EDT
[#5]
KNS should be releasing their adjustable gas piston soon for the ACE.  I would go that route as others have said.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Fired a couple of boxes yesterday with a .070 gas port, unsuppressed (MK18 anybody?).  It had full function, but ejection was very tame.  I need to put a lot more through it, and might have to go up one size.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top