Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2014 7:51:34 PM EDT
Friend has a Valmet M76,he is thinking of selling it and told me he has 5 30 round mags for it,I was pretty interested as I knew mags were very hard to come by/expensive.
He sent me a pic and while one mag is a factory mag,the other four look to be Norinco 5.56 mags.
Not sure if these have been converted or not.
He has never fired the rifle,it is truly a safe queen.

Link Posted: 2/3/2014 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If it were me (and I do have one) I wouldn't worry about mags as I wouldn't shoot it.  Blasphemy, I know, but it's in the collector's item safe for me.

As you stated, mags (and spare/repair parts) are essentially unobtainable.

Depending on who you talk to, the answer is NO, nothing other than Valmet mags are safe/reliable to shoot (it's a function of the mag/well and feed (mis)alignment) or YES, Bulgarian mags can be modified to work reasonably well.

I haven't read about modifying Norincos.

A long time ago there was a guy (Tony of Tromix) selling professional conversions:  they were based on Bulgies.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks,when he first told me he had five mags with it I was thinking great,now I don't know.
Although even Norinco 5.56 mags are worth $70 each or so.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a picture of my M76 with four modified Norinco 5.56 mags. They work great. I wouldn't hesitate to do the deal as the modification to the mags is easily accomplished with some file work on the top front locking lug and the rear locking lug and ramp leading to the lug. I know Tromix modified EG Weiger mags, but I can't say one way or the other if he did Bulgarians. The modified EG Weigers work great also.
Try to insert the Norincos and see if they fit. Don't force them! If they fit they've probably been modified. Mine wouldn't fit without modification and neither would the Weigers.

Link Posted: 2/17/2014 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Tony Romore of Tromix modified both Weiger mags and Bulgarian Circle 10 mags for the 5.56mm Valmets. I have some of each.
They also happen to fit the Yugo M85/90/95 rifles as well...

Mick
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Friend still has it for sale,I imagine for it to sell he will need to advertise it nationally.
I wouldn't mind picking it up but money is tight right now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#6]
What is he asking for it?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Around $1700.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone know if Yugo M85 mags can be modified to work reliably in a Valmet M76?  They seem to be the best priced 5.556 mags at the moment.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, I was walking my M76W in a show - no takers - and a table-holder suggested I try one of his steel .223 mags in the gun. Fit and locked up just fine. Should have bought the mag to try, but did not. Maybe next show.

ETA - think he said they were generic CHICOM mags.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 2:13:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I have benn using modified WASR mags in mine without issues. I walked one of my VALMETs in a show and the chicom .223 mags fit fine. Shoulda snagged some.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top