BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought an original lower handguard for mine at a gunshow, The guy had several and they ALL had carvings on them...

I picked the one with the best grain and most tasteful carving. Just light blackened scratching on the right hand side. Didn't know what it meant when I bought it but I looked it up on the internet and came up with this:

Carving: ЦРНА МАМБА
Transliteration: CRNA MAMBA
Pronounciation: tsrna mamba (hard t, rolling r)
Translation: Black Mamba

I like it!
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#2]
height=8
Originally Posted By PoisonMiller:
I just bought an original lower handguard for mine at a gunshow, The guy had several and they ALL had carvings on them...

I picked the one with the best grain and most tasteful carving. Just light blackened scratching on the right hand side. Didn't know what it meant when I bought it but I looked it up on the internet and came up with this:

Carving: ЦРНА МАМБА
Transliteration: CRNA MAMBA
Pronounciation: tsrna mamba (hard t, rolling r)
Translation: Black Mamba

I like it! heThey committed atrocities against Serbs in the area.

Actually, I just realized this: Why would a Croatian dude write that in Cyrillic? They don't use that, only the Serbs use that writing. Strange if you ask me...

I think that the owner just wrote "Black Snake" on his rifle, and that he was Serb. Since it was written in Cyrillic, it probably doesn't have anything to do with the Croatian group...

Link Posted: 9/7/2008 5:58:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kingfish] [#3]
What does this say?

шиги or it's this УИГИ
Link Posted: 9/8/2008 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Originally Posted By kingfish:
What does this say?

шиги or it's this УИГИ

шиги = Šigi (Š is pronounced SH).

Most likely the previous owners nickname.
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 7:50:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kingfish] [#5]

Originally Posted By TexasMeal:

Originally Posted By kingfish:
What does this say?

шиги or it's this УИГИ

шиги = Šigi (Š is pronounced SH).

Most likely the previous owners nickname.

I talked to a Russian friend about it, he said it's pronounced FIGI.  And that it could mean something like a "fuck you" or "fuck off".  He said there isa Russian word FIGA which means that and that this could be slant of that.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Upper handguard has:  PAWO
Lower Handguard has:  PADA
Bottom of lower has Serbian shield with the 4 C's.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 1:30:59 AM EDT
[#7]
TexasMeal is probably point on spot with that one.  It's probably the owner's nickname.  And this would be pronounced SHEE gee.  Russian wouldn't necessarilly apply here.  While Serbian and Russian languages have many commonalities they are two different languages.  If you grew up speaking Serbian as a first language you would probably be able to understand a lot of Russian but they are certainly different.  Not similar enough to be considered a dialect.  If you were wanting to say "F You" or "F Off" you would say "Jebi Se" or "Od Jebi" respectively.  Being my other half is straight outta Serbia and many people I know are as well this at the very least taught me that.  The "Y" looking letter would be pronounced as a long "U".  So it would be the "W" looking letter pronounced as "SH".
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#8]
It's just my uneducated guess, but I'm assuming the words carved into this furniture is an individual's/individual's girlfriend's? name (maybe initials on the buttstock and last name on the handguards):

Link Posted: 10/28/2008 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By docwade:
Upper handguard has:  PAWO
Lower Handguard has:  PADA
Bottom of lower has Serbian shield with the 4 C's.

PAWO - Raso - Rasho - probably nick name
PADA- Rada - a woman's name

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:35:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spale] [#10]
Originally Posted By Rayman1:
It's just my uneducated guess, but I'm assuming the words carved into this furniture is an individual's/individual's girlfriend's? name (maybe initials on the buttstock and last name on the handguards):

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q86/Blue_Falcon_One/Finished%20Projects/100_2449.jpg

Hand guard : Surname, should be pronounced ShULICh
Butt stock: you are probably right. my guess would be his initials too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2008 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine has the standard serbian cross with C's, some initials and the inscription 02.10.1994.  I am guessing that's October 2, 1994.  Is that date significant?  Maybe when one of his buddies died?
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Serbian Cross with the four C's is a given.  The date doesn't have any special bearing but it probably meant something to the guy that used it.  You also got the month and the day right because they put the day at the month.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 6:53:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a milled M64 UF with inscripted lower HG, sqared  block carved,   6COKXO, first O has line through middle vertical through both top and bottom, 6 might be a B, if missing top right circle to middle line.  

It's the only carved one I've got, kind of crude, but interesting too. Interested in translation to answer questions that will follow.

Just got in the wiselite center section,  Looks very good.  My .02  : Aircraft Spruce carries vacuum melted very high quality TIG rod for this work

Thanks, ken
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#15]
mookyking:
That's definitely Serbian. PC is Cyrillic for RS which stands for Republika Srpska (Serb Republic, the Bosnian Serbs territory)
That light engraving looks like a male name, Goran. "Lovac" means hunter. You're right about the cross, it's orthodox.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 3:33:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Rayman1:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q86/Blue_Falcon_One/Finished%20Projects/100_2449.jpg

I know this is old, but it doesn't look like anyone responded.

From what I can see, you have a rifle that was used by a Bosnian, and possibly a Muslim.

The magazine has a fleur de lis, which is a Bosnian symbol.  Sulic is a common surname in Bosnia.  And I might be mistaken, but the carving on the buttstock looks like Arabic.  The first letter looks like a "Y" and the last looks like an "H"

Link Posted: 5/12/2009 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Previous poster is correct but there actually was a reply right after it.  I believe this may very well be a rifle used by the Bosnian side as well, based on the Fleur de Lis which is a common symbol in Bosnia.  You can't go by the name by itself but I will say I've noticed most Bosnian names tend to gravitate toward three or more syllables.  Most Serbian surnames tend to gravitate more toward two syllables, although this is by no means absolute.  Also, a lot of surnames are used by Croats, Serbs, and Bosnians.  These people all used to be one nationality at one point and actually come from the same ethnic group.  The Ottoman Turks converted some to Islam and many others stayed with Eastern Orthodox, hence the creation of two groups.  Don't let them fool you: the only thing seperating Serbs from Bosnians is their religious affiliation.  Take that away and their the same group.

One last point worthy of mention: the fact that it's written in the Latin alphabet makes me think it might be Bosnian as well.  While you're finding more and more things written in Serbia using Latin, it is still very common to find things written using the Cyrillic alphabet.  The language is the same but can be written either way.  But the war brought out the "ultra-nationalist" in everyone so the Serbs wanted to make damn sure they made use of the Cyrillic alphabet during that time pretty much exclusively.  Likewise, the Bosnians wanted to make certain they didn't have anything to do with the Cyrillic alphabet.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I have been acquiring some Yugo M70 AK furniture with "Trench Art" for an upcoming "turbothis" re-weld project.  I got to thinking it would be cool if I could get some info on the carvings.  I figure some of them are dates but as to the rest I have no clue?  If anyone here speaks Cryillic or can translate the words for me I would be Stoked!  As to the dates.....could these be battles fought in the Serb/Croat war?  Any info members could shed would be much apprectiated!!!  :smile:

Thanks

Tenbrook

Link Posted: 6/28/2009 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#19]
each post is a different rifle.......

Link Posted: 6/28/2009 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I saved the best for last IMO...............

Link Posted: 7/17/2009 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry nobody's posted on here in a while.  I'll try to offer whatever little I can...

First Post: Pic 1 says "PARA".  Not sure what that means as I've never heard it. Pic 2 says "MIRKO" a name or a nickname.  I'm betting nickname.  Pic 3 shows the smaller print which is very difficult for me to read but appears to say "BACHI (or more specifically BATYI would be a closer pronunciation but most Americans can't tell the different between Ч/Č and Ћ/Ć).  Once again, I have no idea.

Second Post: Pic 1 says "STRIKAN" which, once again, I don't know but I'm not sure that's actually a name.  

Third Post: Says "MILER" which may be a name but I don't know.  

Sorry that my 4 year relationship with a Serb came to an end several months ago.  Actually, I'm not sorry about it.  To tell the truth I got tired of hearing all her pro-Milosević bullshit and all the other crap about how awful the Bosnians are (some of which I happen to be fond of) and how they deserved what they got.

As far as the dates go, you know what was going on in 1992 and 1993 unless you were living in a cave.  I'm sure the dates were significant to person that used the rifle.  Also, a few pics caught the Serbia "4-C's" and a Serbian "Chetnik".  Pretty cool find you got yourself.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#22]
with those engraved rifles many people were killed and a lot of lives  were taken.... I wouldn't be very proud of having them... think a little bit about that
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By VUGLA:

with those engraved rifles many people were killed and a lot of lives  were taken.... I wouldn't be very proud of having them... think a little bit about that

Should we all find our happy thought and pretend the whole thing never happened?  History isn't all positive and not every story has a happy ending.  Welcome to reality...

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:14:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VUGLA] [#24]
]pffff..... you enlighten me by saying this BS?!?!?!?    better shut up and be what you are a NERD, go get liquidmetal in your hands, play tennis and stick to the racquet, leave rifles for someone else, cuz u get boner seeing those engraved rifles, never had to do shit , so BE excluded of any right to talk about this kind of things! "welcome to reality" shut up! u never done a thing and not to talk about reality , you smart ass
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:05:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By VUGLA:

]pffff..... you enlighten me by saying this BS?!?!?!?    better shut up and be what you are a NERD, go get liquidmetal in your hands, play tennis and stick to the racquet, leave rifles for someone else, cuz u get boner seeing those engraved rifles, never had to do shit , so BE excluded of any right to talk about this kind of things! "welcome to reality" shut up! u never done a thing and not to talk about reality , you smart ass

These are tech forums, not GD, this childish name calling crap has no business here.  If you feel the need to blow a fuse and go full retard in the future, IM me.

Link Posted: 8/6/2009 5:21:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: akbird] [#26]
Originally Posted By matter_daddy:
I have been acquiring some Yugo M70 AK furniture with "Trench Art" for an upcoming "turbothis" re-weld project.  I got to thinking it would be cool if I could get some info on the carvings.  I figure some of them are dates but as to the rest I have no clue?  If anyone here speaks Cryillic or can translate the words for me I would be Stoked!  As to the dates.....could these be battles fought in the Serb/Croat war?  Any info members could shed would be much apprectiated!!!  :smile:

Tenbrook

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k258/matter_daddy/IMG_1096.jpg Para is a last name

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k258/matter_daddy/IMG_1097.jpg Mirko is a first name

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k258/matter_daddy/IMG_1098.jpg

Link Posted: 8/6/2009 5:25:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: akbird] [#27]

Last two are dates in June '92 . June '92 is considered first month of heavy fights until than it was more or less skirmish .
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Photo didn't turn out too good, but this was on my Yugo SKS   "HEHO"

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g150/FargoMarc/041.jpg
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 4:43:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By FargoMarc:
Photo didn't turn out too good, but this was on my Yugo SKS   "HEHO"

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g150/FargoMarc/041.jpg

Maybe Neno it is nickname from Nenad ?
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Can the guru's translate the writing on my new HG?

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/finslayer83/IMG00610.jpg

Spiders and cross with four S .
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By akbird:
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/finslayer83/IMG00610.jpg

Spiders and cross with four S .

I wonder why spiders? Maybe a nick name? who knows.
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Spiders is a name of the unit .
Link Posted: 12/29/2009 12:24:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sled_999] [#34]
VUGLA,

Firearms don't have free will.

Do you own a K98?
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm new to the AK game, but have found myself really liking the Yugo underfolder.. Just looks good..

Is the best way to get actual used furniture to buy kits and hope one shows up with something on it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Tram:
I'm new to the AK game, but have found myself really liking the Yugo underfolder.. Just looks good..

Is the best way to get actual used furniture to buy kits and hope one shows up with something on it?

Pot luck, but you can get used handguards from Apex.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/1132?osCsid=03cde3d2aa04efba00a104a17f52bee9

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 2:05:07 AM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By Tram:

If you want a guarantee of furniture with trench art, you can post an ad in the "Want to buy-AK related" section of the EE.  Yugo wood with carvings changes hands in the EE from time to time.

Link Posted: 7/1/2010 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#39]
how about what does "hyka" mean?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a Mauser with what I believe to be a Serbian name in Cryillic?  Can anyone confirm that it is Serbian and it is a name.

Link Posted: 10/1/2010 2:33:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Momcilo Kecojevic name Momchilo Kecojevich is how sound.

Yes it is Serb name no doubt .
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 3:06:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stahlhelm88] [#42]
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 12:01:11 AM EDT
[#43]

Bihac is city in western Bosina .
Tanja is Serb girl name .2nd picture

First picture is unclear and I could help you if you get better picture .
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Is there any way to know if it was a Serb, Bosnian,Croatian etc. who carved these? The one that says Bihac has a 95 after and is not part of the set so they're not related. The top pic only has those letters legible anymore, the rest have been scratched out, I was hoping you could maybe make sense of what was left but thought it might be to far gone to read anymore. Thanks very much though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Bump for translation, please!
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By walldj45:
Bump for translation, please!

I see the name "Boric" in there on the one side (pronounced Borich).
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:50:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grizzly50cal] [#48]
Just curious as to what the writing on my Yugo AK's stock is... It says

Either  "Hanaheha BPC"      or     "Hananena BPC"   Might possibly be "Hanahena BPC" however.. Pretty sure it's the third one..

Any ideas on that one ?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Native speaker here, PM me, or post a picture here, and I'd be glad to translate. From what I've seen so far, it's mostly names of soldiers, their girlfriends, or units. I can provide some more background on units, if one of those surfaces. Cheers.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By grizzly50cal:
Just curious as to what the writing on my Yugo AK's stock is... It says

Either  "Hanaheha BPC"      or     "Hananena BPC"   Might possibly be "Hanahena BPC" however.. Pretty sure it's the third one..

Any ideas on that one ?

ВРС is abbreviation for the Army of Republic of Srpska. Војска Републике Српске.

The stuff in front of doesn't make any sense, but try snapping a picture of it.
Page / 5
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top