Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/22/2016 1:16:39 AM EDT
I have been offered a M77 in almost brand new condition for 600$. i dont really know anything about these anybody have one and would like to share opinions? Anything bad about them?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#1]
They are very high quality rifles, but there are some expensive drawbacks

- Thumbhole stock isn't great for much other than scoped bench rest/hunting use. Will take standard Yugo stocks, even though it has a slant cut receiver and rear trunnion, but obviously they won't look quite right. Many people weld a small steel section here to close up the receiver.  I use the ACE Yugo slant receiver adapter block on mine. But to replace the stock with anything more than surplus Yugo wood becomes pretty pricey.

- Factory 10-rd mags suck and tend to jam, and few inexpensive hi-cap options. CSSpecs makes 20 rounders for the M77, but they're about $40/ea - fortunately they're seriously overbuilt and will probably never wear out.
M14/M1A mags can be modified, but you need to use quality mags with thicker stampings for the mods to work reliably. Some .308 AK mags like VEPR, Galil/Valmet mags can work in the M77 with light fitting.

If someone would import a decent batch of the Zastava mags for these, they would make a small fortune.

- Requires Yugo specific side rail mount, or Yugo specific railed top cover..
I had a modified standard MI side rail on mine, but never really liked how it sat or mounted. Eventually I'm going to pick up a TWS rail for mine.

- Muzzle is threaded 14x1LH but is covered by a tack welded nut, and the FSB doesn't have the spring-loaded plunger installed from the factory. This is easily corrected and CNC Warrior makes a new detent pin and spring for Yugo/milled AKs

- Heavy RPK receiver,  heavy long barrel,  heavy ammo. It's a heavy rifle.

Pros:

- Built like a tank
- Eats steel cased .308 all day long no matter if it's dry or soaking wet lubed
- Adjustable gas system lets you adjust for different types of ammo, handloads, etc.
- Very accurate with quality ammo - have seen a couple guys pulling sub MOA on AKfiles.
- .308 AKs are just fucking cool and fun to shoot

Ultimately?   Even though I love mine, an AR10 is an overall better deal and a cheaper option if you just want a semi-auto .308.  If I was not an AK guy I probably would have built an AR10 instead.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I regret not snatching one up from Classic a few years ago for $550.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

- Thumbhole stock isn't great for much other than scoped bench rest/hunting use. Will take standard Yugo stocks, even though it has a slant cut receiver and rear trunnion, but obviously they won't look quite right. Many people weld a small steel section here to close up the receiver.  I use the ACE Yugo slant receiver adapter block on mine. But to replace the stock with anything more than surplus Yugo wood becomes pretty pricey.

- Factory 10-rd mags suck and tend to jam, and few inexpensive hi-cap options. CSSpecs makes 20 rounders for the M77, but they're about $40/ea - fortunately they're seriously overbuilt and will probably never wear out.
M14/M1A mags can be modified, but you need to use quality mags with thicker stampings for the mods to work reliably. Some .308 AK mags like VEPR, Galil/Valmet mags can work in the M77 with light fitting.

If someone would import a decent batch of the Zastava mags for these, they would make a small fortune.

I had a modified standard MI side rail on mine, but never really liked how it sat or mounted. Eventually I'm going to pick up a TWS rail for mine.

- Muzzle is threaded 14x1LH but is covered by a tack welded nut, and the FSB doesn't have the spring-loaded plunger installed from the factory. This is easily corrected and CNC Warrior makes a new detent pin and spring for Yugo/milled AKs

Pros:

- Built like a tank
- Adjustable gas system lets you adjust for different types of ammo, handloads, etc.
- Very accurate with quality ammo - have seen a couple guys pulling sub MOA on AKfiles.

Ultimately?   Even though I love mine, an AR10 is an overall better deal and a cheaper option if you just want a semi-auto .308.  If I was not an AK guy I probably would have built an AR10 instead.

http://i.imgur.com/NGUVeq6.jpg
View Quote

Excellent review mancat.  I have one in M76 attire and will fill in the rear of the slant back receiver or get an ACE end for it.  Have yet to fire it but have a thing for big AK action DMRs.  

$600 seems reasonable to me.  Gonna have to get it out of that thumbhole skirt though.  M76 butt stock and pistol grip easy to get.  M70 handguards wi fitting shouldn't be a problem either.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:24:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Pros:

- Built like a tank

View Quote

I've had it for a few months now and love it, I got lucky and grabbed some yugo 20rd military mags for only 38$ea.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've had it for a few months now and love it, I got lucky and grabbed some yugo 20rd military mags for only 38$ea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pros:

- Built like a tank

Where did you get mags?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Where did you get mags?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pros:

- Built like a tank

Where did you get mags?

Gunbroker
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Dang.  I guess Ruger makes an M77 cause that's all that shows up when I search.  Any tricks to narrowing down search?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Dang.  I guess Ruger makes an M77 cause that's all that shows up when I search.  Any tricks to narrowing down search?
View Quote

Depends on where you are searching.  Zastava M77 or Century M77 usually works depending on where you are looking.

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I broke down and bought a 10pk of Checkmate 20 rounders to modify.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top