Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2016 12:00:13 PM EDT
Ive had all kinds of issues with my M92.  In an attempt to resolve FTE issues I figured it wouldnt hurt to swap out extractor and spring.  To my surprise I cant seem to remove the pins on the bolt!  Bent a punch and its now soaking in oil.  Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Use a starter punch to get it moving, it should come out after that.

Also try driving it out the opposite way, as sometimes during installation one end of the pin becomes peened and may not want to come back out any other way but the way it first came in.

What is your issue? I know there have been a few guys with FTE and bolt rail issues.. Fortunately mine has run like a Swiss watch since day one.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use a starter punch to get it moving, it should come out after that.

Also try driving it out the opposite way, as sometimes during installation one end of the pin becomes peened and may not want to come back out any other way but the way it first came in.

What is your issue? I know there have been a few guys with FTE and bolt rail issues.. Fortunately mine has run like a Swiss watch since day one.
View Quote

Soaked in oil overnight and cut down a punch to be a starter....damn thing broke inside the bolt.  Luckily i was able to get it out.  But no luck in moving the pin.

Basically ive had FTE issues from day one with this thing.  Sent it to JBI and Jim couldnt get it running reliably either.  He fixed a head space issue that seemed to help a bit but still getting FTEs.  So I figured Id try a cheap and "easy" swap of extractor and extractor spring for the heck of it.  But cant even get the extractor swapped.  At moments like this I really appreciate the AR platform.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 11:30:55 PM EDT
[#3]
as far as the FTEs go... one thing I know of is that some PAPs came with a recoil spring that was too weak. it might be worth a shot to try another spring assy. if you have one available.

punches are usually case hardened, so cutting one down can weaken the impact surface.. just one thought.

I've never had one that I couldn't get a pin out of eventually, so not sure what else to tell you.

one thing I have done on AK pins when demilling parts kits, is to use socket drive torx bits as pushing devices, and use a socket on the other end to catch the pin. I then put the assembly into a bench vise and crank. this will generally push out pins that refuse to budge with even a starter punch and a large hammer.

I would bet you could rig up a similar setup with the AK bolt, putting a small socket on one lug to receive the pin (I might suggest putting a brass washer between the lug and the socket), and placing the torx socket into the pin channel on the other side, pushing the pin out to get it started. you can then finish it out with an appropriate punch..

Here is an example of this method being used on a trunnion barrel pin.. Though I didn't picuture it with a socket on the receiving end, just a brass washer at this point.

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
as far as the FTEs go... one thing I know of is that some PAPs came with a recoil spring that was too weak. it might be worth a shot to try another spring assy. if you have one available.

punches are usually case hardened, so cutting one down can weaken the impact surface.. just one thought.

I've never had one that I couldn't get a pin out of eventually, so not sure what else to tell you.

one thing I have done on AK pins when demilling parts kits, is to use socket drive torx bits as pushing devices, and use a socket on the other end to catch the pin. I then put the assembly into a bench vise and crank. this will generally push out pins that refuse to budge with even a starter punch and a large hammer.

I would bet you could rig up a similar setup with the AK bolt, putting a small socket on one lug to receive the pin (I might suggest putting a brass washer between the lug and the socket), and placing the torx socket into the pin channel on the other side, pushing the pin out to get it started. you can then finish it out with an appropriate punch..

Here is an example of this method being used on a trunnion barrel pin.. Though I didn't picuture it with a socket on the receiving end, just a brass washer at this point.
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestions.  Some of the FTEs are stovepipes so I have been thinking the extractor is just not grabbing tight enough.  I'll probaboy try the recoil spring suggestion just for grins.

I think Im gonna give your trick a shot this weekend.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top