Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2016 11:38:30 PM EDT
Brand new Yugo M70 underfolder. First round and bang. Casing head came off, round went down the barrel and the casing is stuck inside.
Did a headspace check and no way the bolt locks in place compared to all my other AK's. Barrel also seemed to have a split.
Looked a long time for this particular model with the Serbian trunion.
Called Century and they asked for a detailed email which I sent.
No idea when they will respond.
Fortunately no one was hurt.
Looking at the front end - now I see obvious gaps compared to my other Serbian rifles.

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, Century build?
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#2]
yup
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Generally speaking, the Century Yugos are well built guns with a good rep.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Could a defective round (double powder charge or something) have caused it?

Both my Serbian underfolder and M92 have been great so far.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yup
View Quote

New?

Did you clean and inspect it first?

Numerous pictures on the Internet of people finding all kids of crap in the barrels of "new" guns.

One item regularly found is part of the plastic yellow safety flag they put in the action to show the rifle is clear.

If the barrel is gone, it almost had to be a barrel obstruction imho.

Doesn't look like a new Century build, I have one I got last year. Yours still has the original grip, wood handguards, and I don't see Century markings on the bottom of the receiver which will show it is a US made receiver. Doesn't look like it will pass 922r.

Who did you get it from?
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#6]
It was new and the ammo the same as used in other Yugo's I have.
Did not check the headspace initially.
Did check it and compare to all my other Yugo's and Chicoms. Definitely not correct as you cannot turn the bolt and lock in place like all the others.
This one was the only rifle that showed the large gap between the receiver and trunion and the only one where the lower front handguard did not sit tightly.
Waiting for Century to respond and no commitments over the phone - email and wait. Been waiting 4 weeks about the OPaP I have with the single stack bolt in it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It was new and the ammo the same as used in other Yugo's I have.
Did not check the headspace initially.
Did check it and compare to all my other Yugo's and Chicoms. Definitely not correct as you cannot turn the bolt and lock in place like all the others.
This one was the only rifle that showed the large gap between the receiver and trunion and the only one where the lower front handguard did not sit tightly.
Waiting for Century to respond and no commitments over the phone - email and wait. Been waiting 4 weeks about the OPaP I have with the single stack bolt in it.
View Quote

I guess it's bad luck. I'm not disputing what you say, for me little is adding up.

My M70AB2 underfolder has a US receiver, US barrel, and US plastic handguards. Your picture looks like an original Zastava receiver and original handguards. And you say new?

As for the OPAP having a single stack bolt, they always shipped with double stack bolts. Sounds like you have an old gen1 PAP which did come with a single stack bolt. They had the scope rail on the dust cover, 1.6mm bulged trunnion like today's OPAP. Google  RI1987, RI2085, and RI2090
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1812997&postcount=17

But I am pretty cynical and anxiously await Century's response.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes - the PAP has the rail on the cover. Hopefully by June they will respond on that one.
The M70 is new - has the Serbian trunion - which is why I bought it. Receiver says Century - not home so cannot say if importer or manfucturer. I think they built these with Green Mountain barrels - which can explain the bang.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes - the PAP has the rail on the cover. Hopefully by June they will respond on that one.
The M70 is new - has the Serbian trunion - which is why I bought it. Receiver says Century - not home so cannot say if importer or manfucturer. I think they built these with Green Mountain barrels - which can explain the bang.
View Quote

Ok John, great, I'm seeing things better now. Darn day job killing me, sometimes what I write comes across too sharp.

I would have grabbed that M70 with Serbian trunnion too!

Glad no one was injured, the cartridge case you posted doesn't look like high pressure,  almost has to be a seam in the barrel like you said.

I got a PAP years ago, the firing pin was sticking bad. The firing pin hole in the bolt was way off center. Only way to fix was new bolt. I chose to fix it myself; that's my opinion of Century from years past. Lately though, they've been pretty nice to me in the dealings I've had.

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#10]
What gap are you talking about? The gap between the rear sight block and the front trunnion? This is normal on many AKs as the FSB is not necessarily supposed to butt up against the front trunnion. The RSB "notch" where the dust cover attaches is supposed to line up with the rear face of the trunnion "ears" and this space here is made so taht the RSB can be populated with a certain range of adjustment for different types of trunnions.

You say the barrel is "split" - where and how?

What headspace gauges are you using?
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Turns out it was sold as a receiver only and someone built it. Dealer was unaware and refunded my money.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Turns out it was sold as a receiver only and someone built it. Dealer was unaware and refunded my money.
View Quote

And there ya go......glad you got the cash back man...now go buy a real combloc factory produced AK!
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad you weren't hurt.

You could do as I did and buy an Apex kit, a NDS receiver and an AK builder barrel and send it all off to Two Rivers Arms. You'll get back the closest thing to the original IMO, with a beautiful correct blued finish, tested and built right. They can even match serial and and or engrave what ever crest you like. I had them build me both an M70 and M72 from Apex kits. Those are my nicest AK's. I have a thread here showing them.

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top