Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/11/2015 2:16:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthyBlagga]
I am using an M85 PAP pistol as the basis of a budget-minded pseudo-Krinkov SBR. Manticore stock, Stormwerks folder mechanism, etc. - you know the drill.

One change I particularly wanted to make was to replace the unsightly Yugo pistol grip with a classic AK pistol grip. However, when I looked more closely, I found the upgrade is not as simple as just switching out the parts. The problem is the acute angle of the pistol grip screw on the Yugo receiver, as illustrated in the photo below:

Fortunately, it was a relatively simple task to make an adapter with off-the-shelf parts; some M6x1 threaded rod (Grainger), an M6x1 coupling nut (Grainger), an M6x1x60mm cap screw (Ace Hardware), and of course a pistol grip (Tapco). I also had a scrap red Tapco pistol grip lying around, so I sectioned it to give me an easy way to check the fit of the parts (and to show you, the reader, how everything goes together). Here are the steps I took:

1) Cut a piece of M6 threaded rod about 2" long

2) Screw on the coupling nut, clamp the assembly in a vise, and use a BFH to introduce a bend into the threaded rod as shown. Some adjustment of the angle may be required - later photos will show what we are trying to achieve with this step.

3) File down two opposing flats on the coupling nut, such that the nut will fit inside the pistol grip as shown below.

4) Shorten the M6 cap screw to fit, then slim down the screw head to fit into the recess of the pistol grip (I chucked it up in a drill press and hit it with a file).

5) Screw everything together with a generous application of Blue Loctite. The photo below shows the arrangement of the parts.

Here is how the pistol grip looks on the finished rifle:

That's it - the whole thing took me about an hour to execute (including the trip to Ace).
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 5:51:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Good job. Good write up. Thx.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool. I like it
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh my god this is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much for this tutorial and pictures!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Good stuff OP.

I didn't realize the angle was that different when I replaced my M92 Pap's grip with a Magpul one.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#5]
The pictures made a world of different. Thank you for the detail!
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn so a Magpul grip won't fit on an M85?
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Good post, glad you made it work for you. I personally prefer the original Yugo grip as it fits my hand better.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Absolutely lovable. You now got your self a legit looking Krink!
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Most of mine use other countries grips. Never had a problem.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top