Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/2/2015 10:00:53 PM EDT
Thought this info might help some of you Yugo AK owners out there.

Most people find the wooden Yugo stocks ridiculously long and the comb (top of stock) way too high. You might also have encountered the unpleasant experience commonly referred to as "Yugo cheek slap," which is when the comb of the stock is so high that it touches the bottom of your cheek bone. When the gun recoils, it jabs this bone pretty hard. I decided to fix mine instead of buying another one.

Here's a photo of what it used to look like.

And here is the finished product.

What I did was sand down the comb of the stock till it was satisfactory and then used a disc sander to remove the old finish. I then proceeded to cut the stock down to about 9", measuring from the thickest part of the rubber butt pad. Then I stained it with WATCO dark walnut. If I remember correctly, I used 2 coats. Once that had thoroughly dried, Polyurethane was applied multiple times. Since the end of the stock was smaller now, the butt pad had to be fitted. I marked how much material had to be removed and then proceeded to remove the excess material with an upside down belt sander. I then re-drilled the holes that were there before I cut the stock down. After reassembling it, my beloved AK was back in business!

I highly recommend doing this!

Hope this helped someone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I did that to mine over the weekend. Way better!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Outstanding Work
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I was thinking about getting rid of mine.  I think I will sand the stock like you did.  Good job.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks really good! I may have to do this on my OPAP
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top