Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2015 10:30:05 PM EDT
The stamp for my M92 was approved recently and I'm getting ready to attach a stock. I'd like to attach an AR buffer tube and collapsible stock (I know, I know), with three goals:

1. Rugged - need it to be rock solid. No ACE adapters, folding mechanisms, cat hair twine, etc
2. Straight - need to adjust for the slight angle (6 degree?) of the rear trunnion so the buffer tube is straight
3. High Profile - need it to ride as high as possible with respect for the trunnion, do not want the buffer tube centered

The Rifle Dynamics M4 adapter might address all three of the above issues except it requires an AKM trunnion. Also, I've read negative reviews with respect to the way it attaches to the AKM tang (two small screws, which take the force of the stock and whatever is pushing against it), which puts #1 in doubt.

Canis Design Group makes several adapters that look great and might solve all three issues, but again require either an AKM trunnion or an OPAP or NPAP trunnion.

Quotes from AK smiths (JBI, Firing Line Ok, etc) are all in the $200 - $300 range to convert to an AKM trunnion. This seems to require removing the old trunnion, welding the rivet holes, then drilling new holes to rivet in the new trunnion. I'm guessing it would be a lot easier (and cheaper) if I could find a Yugo trunnion which has the same rivet pattern as my M92 PAP. Then all I'd have to do is drill out the current rivets, install the new yugo trunnion, and attach the rivets in place. I could use the Canis adapter and Bob would then be my uncle. So here is the question:

Do any Yugo trunnions exist which match the rivet pattern of an M92 PAP, particularly that would fit one of the Canis adapters?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
A fixed stock trunnion with the same rivet pattern as an underfolder/M92 trunnion was never produced.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A fixed stock trunnion with the same rivet pattern as an underfolder/M92 trunnion was never produced.

View Quote

I guess I will have to dig deep then. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I currently have various rear trunnions and an M92 with the rear trunnion removed. When I get a chance I'll check to see if any align better than others. At most, the rear most through rivet is probably going to be the only one that comes close, though. You'll still have the lower four rivet holes to deal with/weld-over and drill for the second through rivet of a fixed stock trunnion.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is a custom fabricated trunion I've been working on. It's designed to hold a milspec buffer tube in a high profile position. I don't have all the bugs worked out yet, but I'd say it's 90% there. This is a work in progress, so the rifle will look much different when it's done.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
AS far as being rugged goes, the ACE/etc. hinges really don't mount any less solidly than a fixed-stock Yugo stock would. The Yugo fixed stock has a very minimal piece of the stock itself inserted into the trunnion. It's mostly held in place by a single machine screw.

I used to look at them and think they were flimsy until I put one on my M77. I don't see it breaking under any use that would not break a similar "milspec" folding stock.

Also take into account the slight angle at which the M92 receiver is cut - all stamped Yugo receivers share the same slight angle in common with a UF receiver/trunnion. If you wanted an AKM trunnion, the receiver would need to be welded up to make the receiver end square. This isn't an issue if you used a Yugo 1mm fixed trunnion, but the rivet pattern is different.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an ACE stock on one of my AKs which uses the ACE FSM. I haven't had any problems with it, but then again I have less than 1,000 rounds through it and have never put it through any hard use.

I'm aware if the issues you bring up (receiver angle, rivet pattern, etc). This is why I designed a custom rear trunion. It fixes the receiver angle, matches the rivet pattern, and mounts an M4 buffer tube. It also allows the gun to double as a sledgehammer - the thing is solid.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I want to mate a Magpul Zhukov to mine.  Which Trunnion should I have a local guy install?

I'm thinking any fixed stock single tang trunnion will work, but want to be 100% certain before I buy it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's the easy way, several options to choose from:

http://usmachinegun.com/products.php?cat=72
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been looking at this venture as well. There are no single tang, fixed stock trunnions for the M92 made by anyone. The rear trunnion will have to be removed, holes we led over, and new holes drilled for a standard AKM trunnion. The upper corner hole might be g2g though. There will likely be a gap between receiver and stock due to the 6 degree slant cut rear.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been looking at this venture as well. There are no single tang, fixed stock trunnions for the M92 made by anyone. The rear trunnion will have to be removed, holes we led over, and new holes drilled for a standard AKM trunnion. The upper corner hole might be g2g though. There will likely be a gap between receiver and stock due to the 6 degree slant cut rear.
View Quote

This is true, if you use an AKM trunnion as you mention. The one pictured above is a one-off designed specifically for the M92, so the receiver does not require any metal work and there is no gap between the receiver and the trunnion.

I'm a couple weeks away from the final assembly. Still need to finish some receiver work, notch the rear sight, minor mods to the safety lever, test fire (again), and paint. I've also been waiting on the ALG trigger, but I should have it soon.

If anyone is interested, I will post some pictures of the completed rifle and a list of parts/modifications. If not, I'll probably post that stuff over in the SBR section. Let me know if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd be interested.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd be interested.
View Quote

OK. I'll post pictures when it's done. Version 2 of the trunnion is taking a little longer than I'd hoped, but it's coming along. I did receive the new AK trigger from ALG. It looks good, but I haven't tested it yet. Hoping to have it all wrapped up by the end of the month. I might post the pictures and parts list in the SBR section and just post a link here. Either way, I'll include a list of the parts.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd be interested.
View Quote

here it is
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice work!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nice work!
View Quote

Thanks! This was the first gun I've ever had that I did exactly the way I wanted. That being said, I'm frustrated by the problem I'm having with the stock collapsing under recoil.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#16]
bumping!
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I replaced the stock with a Magpul MOE SL. Fixed that problem.

I also replaced the Manticore Renegade handguard with one from Midwest Industries. Significant improvement in stability. Got the Aimpoint T1 top cover, but not the T1 yet.

Lastly, I cut off the rear sight and installed a 4" pic rail on the dust cover hindge plate. I have a new rear peep sight on order now (waiting for shipment). It will sit higher up and align better with the taller XS front sight post already installed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I would also be interested if you get the rear trunnion done. Ive been also considering milling myself out one.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would also be interested if you get the rear trunnion done. Ive been also considering milling myself out one.
View Quote

This picture is before I did some of the latest work on the rifle, but the trunion is complete.

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top