Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2014 9:19:54 PM EDT
So for awhile now I've been wanting my first AK. I just can't figure out which one im leaning towards more. I like all the features and pretty much everything about the Npap. The only thing I don't like is the stock. I think the Wasr butt stock looks much better. Though I'm not sure if that justifies choosing it over the Npap. I know Yugo's aren't as customizable as AKMs because of their differences but I prefer the all original look anyway. I'm just looking for something visually appealing that I can beat up at the range without worrying about excessive mag wobble or cheek slap. What did you guys go with and are you happy with your purchase?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with both but ditched the factory stock on the NPAP.  Very happy with both rifles now.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#2]
What stock did you go with on it?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Telescoping M4.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you know what the pros and cons of each rifle are. I went with the WASR and I'm happy.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I watched a 20 minute video on YouTube of a guy comparing the two. Idk but I'm going AK shopping in another city tomorrow. Found a pawnshop with a new Wasr wood furniture and Yugo M70 Sporter but it has a folding stock and synthetic handguard which I don't want and they're asking $519 for each of them. Is the M70 folder the same model as the Npap? Just no wood furniture or is it an older model Yugo
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 3:21:14 AM EDT
[#6]
The Serb N-pap is a high quality AK.  It will be a premium AK in the future in IMO.  The wood is nice and the metal is blued  and it is easy to sight in and a nice wood stock AK.  The price will go up after they are no longer imported.  The Romanian WASR AKM type is easily interchangeable with a lot of WARSAW pact countries and a lot of options are available for a good value.  Basically the N-pap is a wood stock ak with a side scope rail that is really high quality for then money, especially when they are no longer imported or a Rommie AKM that is compatible with all other Euro AKM's.  It will sight in and is more than accurate enough and is easily interchangeable.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:23:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I watched a 20 minute video on YouTube of a guy comparing the two. Idk but I'm going AK shopping in another city tomorrow. Found a pawnshop with a new Wasr wood furniture and Yugo M70 Sporter but it has a folding stock and synthetic handguard which I don't want and they're asking $519 for each of them. Is the M70 folder the same model as the Npap? Just no wood furniture or is it an older model Yugo
View Quote

From what I understand, and if someone is more knowledgeable please correct me. The M70 derivatives are built here in the US from kits, M70s will have US made barrels and receivers. N-PAPs are made in the Zastava factory.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I would suggest finding a store with an NPAP to see how the stock fits you.  Many people found that the comb on the NPAP is too high to use the iron sights.  This was true for me and when I searched for a surplus wood stock I was surprised at how expensive they were.  That's the only reason I put a telescoping stock on mine since I prefer AKs in their traditional military configuration.  My NPAP is the only AK I own that looks anything close to tacticool.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

From what I understand, and if someone is more knowledgeable please correct me. The M70 derivatives are built here in the US from kits, M70s will have US made barrels and receivers. N-PAPs are made in the Zastava factory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M70ab2 is a  paratrooper model on a beefier grenade launcher reciever with folding launcher sites. Also bayo lug

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I went with the yugo underfolder and I'm happy with my decision.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I have big xp with M70 and good enough with WASR, I used them both when I worked for Serbian army, but ofc not semi auto. :)
Both are great.
Lets say I will be patriotic and suggest you go for NPAP.
I always liked M70 B1 over AB2. That underfolder SUCKS.
Imagine this, my first issued M70 was produced in 1980. I got it in 2008. The barrel had 80% damage, stock was loose... Every weapon in Yugo/Serbian army has its own technical booklet. There it says, well basically, the life of that weapon. From date of manufacture, every issue, every cosmo dip (ah the smell), service, and every round fired. It had over 20 users, mind that those were privates, not pro soldiers.
And God knows how many rounds through it.
Did I have any problems with it?
Nope. Built like a tank.
And as far as I know the quality is still the same for NPAP.
Check the video of nutnfancy on YT for NPAP M70.
And feel free to ask anything.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

NPAP is built in Serbia by Zastava. It's imported by Century who widens the mag well and adds 922r compliance parts. If you buy an NPAP you are buying a factory rifle. The M70B1 and M70AB2 (the underfolder you're referring to) are built in the US by Century. Century assembles them using de-milled original M70 parts kits built on US receivers and barrels. These are fine rifles but parts-kit builds are less desirable that factory-built rifles. Add to that the fact that M70AB2 kits seem to be drying up, because the only M70 underfolders Century is releasing right now are the M70AB2T's and M70 ABM's (their own designations) which are not built on the beefier RPK receiver or trunnion.

As someone else suggested, try shouldering the NPAP first. Not everyone experiences cheek slap. Even if the comb is too high for you, often this can be ameliorated by changing your stance. Worse comes to worse, you change or sand the stock.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Double
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have big xp with M70 and good enough with WASR, I used them both when I worked for Serbian army, but ofc not semi auto. :)
Both are great.
Lets say I will be patriotic and suggest you go for NPAP.
I always liked M70 B1 over AB2. That underfolder SUCKS.
Imagine this, my first issued M70 was produced in 1980. I got it in 2008. The barrel had 80% damage, stock was loose... Every weapon in Yugo/Serbian army has its own technical booklet. There it says, well basically, the life of that weapon. From date of manufacture, every issue, every cosmo dip (ah the smell), service, and every round fired. It had over 20 users, mind that those were privates, not pro soldiers.
And God knows how many rounds through it.
Did I have any problems with it?
Nope. Built like a tank.
And as far as I know the quality is still the same for NPAP.
Check the video of nutnfancy on YT for NPAP M70.
And feel free to ask anything.
http://i.imgur.com/V7rM9SY.jpg
View Quote

Is the gun in the picture the one you got in 08 with all all the damage? Looks pretty good. I just bought a N-PAP myself. Nutnfancy's review is what sold me. He thinks the N-PAP is the best AK out there. I am sure that there would be some that would debate that point, but I bought a brand new one for 529.00 shipped. I am sure that everyone would agree that for that price, its the best AK out there.

But the real reason I went with the N-PAP was because I met a Serbian girl in the 90's during the war that was about the most beautiful woman I had ever seen, lol. She had that dark dangerous Eastern European assassin look about her. After all these years she still informs my decisions, lol
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So for awhile now I've been wanting my first AK. I just can't figure out which one im leaning towards more. I like all the features and pretty much everything about the Npap. The only thing I don't like is the stock. I think the Wasr butt stock looks much better. Though I'm not sure if that justifies choosing it over the Npap. I know Yugo's aren't as customizable as AKMs because of their differences but I prefer the all original look anyway. I'm just looking for something visually appealing that I can beat up at the range without worrying about excessive mag wobble or cheek slap. What did you guys go with and are you happy with your purchase?
View Quote

I had the same dilemma you have. My main criteria was get a budget AK that is as high quality as I can get. I have VZ that is my 7.62x39 rifle and LOVE it. Awesome gun. But I really wanted something that had more spare parts and mags available in case of SHTF. So I went on the search for an AK.

I knew of the WASR but was also looking at the I.O. rifles. Some guys on this forum steered me away from the I.O. I don't want to knock the I.O. because I've never been around them, but I saw zero support for them on this forum so I figured I needed to stay away. So that left me with the WASR. I found one for 499.00 great price point and Century's WASRs are much much better than they were. I was on the verge of buying one until I found Nutnfancy's review of the N-PAP. He thinks it's the best AK out there. I went to a local gun shop and compared a used N-PAP with a used WASR and the N-PAP was soooo much nicer. It is tight, nice finish, the wood is phenomenal, the action was tight, but very smooth. But the gun store wanted 800.00! I looked online and found a brand new N-PAP for 529.00 shipped. That sold it for me. So now I am the proud owner of one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is the gun in the picture the one you got in 08 with all all the damage? Looks pretty good.
View Quote

Yep, that is that rifle.
It looks good because of constant cleaning.
That was the way in old Yugo, and in Serbia today.
You can do all kinds of stuff to your rifle, but, at the end of the day its cleaning time.

I know that Zastava used to sell rifles with 80-100% damage to the barrel to Iraq.
When I say 100%, it doesn't mean that it is cracked od bent...
It means that inside of the barrel lost its rifling, and is coroded.
And in most cases the caliber is bigger.
They measured mine at 7.68.
So, it will shoot, but lose accuracy.

Congrats on your purchase btw.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep, that is that rifle.
You can do all kinds of stuff to your rifle, but, at the end of the day its cleaning time.

I know that Zastava used to sell rifles with 80-100% damage to the barrel to Iraq.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the gun in the picture the one you got in 08 with all all the damage? Looks pretty good.

Yep, that is that rifle.

Thanks, I'm thankful to your country for producing such a high quality weapon.

How much accuracy does it lose? Is it still an effective 100-200 meter shooter?
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I have never experience cheek slap in the 90s back in Yugoslavia when we put them to "the test" and still no cheek slap in 2015s lol
You Americans are bitching too much
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Be thankful to God, so you never have to use it in dangerious situations.
But, if defecation hits oscillation, it won't fail you.  

As for the accuracy, I didn't have much problems with mine. We used to shoot at stationary targets at:
100m semi-auto;
150m short bursts;
200m semi-auto;
250m short bursts;
300m short bursts;
350m semi-auto;
400m semi-auto.

These are standard distances for M70(all variants).
Ones with the wood stock are more accurate.
I did try a new one, it was better.
But, I am sure you want destroy yours like mine was. :) So don't worry.

Quoted:
I have never experience cheek slap in the 90s back in Yugoslavia when we put them to "the test" and still no cheek slap in 2015s lol

Hahaha.
I thought that was some expression, until I reread the post.
Never had or heard about that "problem".
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

AMEN!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#21]
go for the PAP man, those US made ones are really good if the rivets are in order

to tell the truth I cant even tell between the full auto/semi one once you put some wood on there...looks authentic and just badass,like literally out of a Yugo war zone
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 1:21:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
go for the PAP man, those US made ones are really good if the rivets are in order

to tell the truth I cant even tell between the full auto/semi one once you put some wood on there...looks authentic and just badass,like literally out of a Yugo war zone
View Quote

There are no US made PAPs; they're all made in Serbia.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top