Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2014 8:38:18 PM EDT
I bought a new N-PAP M70 and found a new extra complete set of wood hardware for it. I was a private contractor in Iraq for a year and taught the Iraqi's how to shoot the Glock 19 and AK47. Having access to free ammo, I shot thousands of rounds during that year and never had an issue with the stock slapping me in the face like this new N-PAP did. It was a simple cut, sanded it down and stained it along with the hand guards to match as I hated the blond look. Nuts, I guess since I am a newbie here I can not post the pictures of it before and after.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Nuts, I guess since I am a newbie here I can not post the pictures of it before and after.
View Quote

New rule that recently went into effect.  Something like you need to have at least 100 posts to post pics, or something like that.

If you like, you can e-mail me the pics and I'll host em and post em for you.  Either that or send me the links to the pics and I can use them also.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you sand down the top of the stock (comb?) only or did you also reduce the length of the stock?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure would like to see those pics... I'm getting a NPAP tomorrow.
Going to rasp and sand the high comb on mine, but this rifle is coming with a skeletonized buttstock with a Krebs adaptor, and a Mojo peep sight.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:25:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Liquidmetal above here is going to help me attach photos. I used a bandsaw and cut the comb out or sort of moved it back.  I did not shorten the stock itself as the overall length was fine. I did post the photos at AKForum.net, here         http://www.theakforum.net/forums/30-yugoslavian/174764-cut-stock-my-n-pap-fits-perfect-now.html
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]
pdog's pics:

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Well that didn't work, I can't see the pics.  ;(
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well that didn't work, I can't see the pics.  ;(
View Quote

Fixed.  Apparently hot-linking from the AK Forum isn't as easy as it seems.  I could see them, but maybe it was just because I was logged in over there.

I hosted the pics myself and re-posted them.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#8]
God job, pdog. Have you shot it since the mod?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
To be honest, the shape looks a little funny but super functional.  I was handling a wood stock Yugo today and I understand why you moved it back like you did.

The finish looks great BTW!
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, it feels real good. If I get bored later,  I may cut the other one but not quite as much. The first one here really fits me good though and can get down on the sights easy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Are the Npap stocks the same length as a regular ak stock? And after doing this would you say its possible to cut one to akm length and add a regular ak buttplate(no cleaning kit)?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I really cant say, I was a private contractor in Iraq all of 2006 but my memory says this NPAP stock is a bit longer than the Russian AK's I had.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#13]
FWIW, I had my hands on both a Yugo and WASR and the Yugo stock is altogether bigger... including longer.

Not sure what they were thinking when the designed that Yugo stock.  Maybe the assumed the shooter would be using optics only - no iron sights?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#14]
It took about 5 minutes on a belt sander and another 15 using various grits of sand paper for final shaping and finishing to get the comb of the stock where I wanted it.
Used a stain that was close to original color and sealed with true oil.

I can now get my face down on the sights better.... with no cheek slap when shooting.
This is an easy mod, that would be hard to screw up.

[youtube][/youtube]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes sir, sure makes it feel SOOOOOO much better!
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Just bought and shot an m70 today and it tends to smack me in the cheek bone.  Very distracting. I'm going to have to do something similar.

Did you think about shortening the stock as well? Maybe i've been shooting adjustable stocks too long but the length of pull seems a bit much.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Are there any other aftermarket stocks that are traditional yet inexpensive and comfortable that will work?
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#18]
In for info.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Are there any other aftermarket stocks that are traditional yet inexpensive and comfortable that will work?
View Quote

Not really. You have three choices for wood: 1) modify the stock you have, 2) pick up a surplus M76 stock (price varies), or 3) get a repro M76 stock from somewhere like Ironwood designs ($100+).

A surplus M70 stock is slightly narrower, and with a lower comb, than an NPAP stock. It's a small difference but, for some, a significant one. They also happen to be pretty cheap at this moment, so even if it isn't comfortable enough you could modify it without losing sleep if you screw it up. LOP would be roughly the same. A skeletonized metal stock would give you more comfort and wouldn't look terribly nontraditional.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Are the Npap stocks the same length as a regular ak stock? And after doing this would you say its possible to cut one to akm length and add a regular ak buttplate(no cleaning kit)?
View Quote

Here is a picture of a Hungarian Kassnar SA85M stock above my O-pap to show the differance in size. I would almost like to go with the same size and shape as the Kassnar stock for my O-pap

" />

Note; I still have the Kassnar but with a crutch folder on it at this time
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Where would one go to find a surplus M76 stock?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Google it and you'll find someone on armslist has a whole bunch of M76 stocks for sale for $85 each and there's others out there you will have to do a search
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:46:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Google it and you'll find someone on armslist has a whole bunch of M76 stocks for sale for $85 each and there's others out there you will have to do a search
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That and private sales on various forums. $85 actually isn't bad.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:19:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Here is a re-profile and refinish that E93 recently did. This from their FB page.

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top