Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/16/2014 12:53:10 AM EDT
Ok guys I had a Romanian AK for about a month and fired about 3 mags out of it but the panic hit and I got a crazy retarded offer for it so I sold it off. So that'smy complete history with Ak's , but my grandpas family came from Yugoslavia and I think it would be cool as Hell if I could round up a yugo just to say its from my families roots. But and a big but I don't have any idea what I'm looking for or if they are even imported these days. Is there anyone still selling yugos at this point and what if any models should I be looking for. I'm just wanting the nostalgia basically so I don't see myself dropping a ton of money on it. Just hoping you guys could head me in the right direction to get started .. thanks fellas
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:04:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of the pap rifles are just imported parts kits for 922r compliance. The century m70ab rifles I believe have a us receiver with more yugo traits like the adjustable  gas block. The m85 and m92 have more yugo parts because they do not need to meet 922r , but are pistols . The opap is probably what I would get if you want a rifle, it has the 1.5mm receiver ( vs the npap 1mm), and has surplus furniture .
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most of the pap rifles are just imported parts kits for 922r compliance. The century m70ab rifles I believe have a us receiver with more yugo traits like the adjustable  gas block. The m85 and m92 have more yugo parts because they do not need to meet 922r , but are pistols . The opap is probably what I would get if you want a rifle, it has the 1.5mm receiver ( vs the npap 1mm), and has surplus furniture .
View Quote
Not exactly correct. The PAP Rifles are all factory assembled, with US parts installed here, and magwells opened up afterward. They are not kit guns.

The M70's Century sells with US receivers ARE kit guns.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The Pap's are very nice rifles and a best buy in my opinion.  I was really impressed with my O-pap.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys I'm thinking of putting one of the ones on buds on layaway at payday that way I can have one all squirreled away
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a Mitchell.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:11:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my OPAP, its the least expensive firearm I own but it is my favorite one...
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:51:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Get a Mitchell.
View Quote

I found one of these but its pretty pricey, still need to see it to verify pre 94 or pre 89, but its $1,200 in decent used condition. What do you all think?

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I dunno.. the M70AB2 I just got is pretty nice.. uses a 1989 kit on new receiver.. (My buddy got a 1982 Zastava trunnioned one.).

For the $529 Classic wanted I'd order another if I wasn't broke.. (course they are sold out & not showing right now)..

Added the MagPul AK grip..  

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I found one of these but its pretty pricey, still need to see it to verify pre 94 or pre 89, but its $1,200 in decent used condition. What do you all think?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a Mitchell.

Mitchell M90's are pre '94, post '89. Mitchell M70's are pre '89. $1200 is about right for a M90.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I dunno.. the M70AB2 I just got is pretty nice.. uses a 1989 kit on new receiver.. (My buddy got a 1982 Zastava trunnioned one.).

For the $529 Classic wanted I'd order another if I wasn't broke.. (course they are sold out & not showing right now)..

http://executiveprotectionservice.us/forums/M70AB2/YugoM70AB2.jpg

Added the MagPul AK grip..  

http://executiveprotectionservice.us/forums/M70AB2/AKstep1.jpg
View Quote

Looks nice! I need at least pre 94-for shooting in CT, they still have an AWB.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Mitchell M90's are pre '94, post '89. Mitchell M70's are pre '89. $1200 is about right for a M90.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a Mitchell.

I still haven't seen it yet, might be pre-89. Another worry is I know the guy decided not to clean it for a very long time and the bolt froze on him at one point. I don't think he realized it's not chrome lined, I'm worried about the chamber and barrel being pitted.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#12]
My OPAP with a stain job.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I still haven't seen it yet, might be pre-89. Another worry is I know the guy decided not to clean it for a very long time and the bolt froze on him at one point. I don't think he realized it's not chrome lined, I'm worried about the chamber and barrel being pitted.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a Mitchell.

. You may wanna run from it at $1200.  Check it out really well. If the bore is sewer pipe and everything else is ok you may be fine but not at that price. Look at it as everything can be replaced, at a cost, but the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

. You may wanna run from it at $1200.  Check it out really well. If the bore is sewer pipe and everything else is ok you may be fine but not at that price. Look at it as everything can be replaced, at a cost, but the receiver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a Mitchell.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Plus replacing "everything" kills the collector value doesn't it?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Get an OPAP while you still can. If you want an under folder grab an NPAP. Solid, factory-built rifles. The fixed-stock NPAPs are great rifles too (I love mine) but if I were only buying ONE AK, it'd be an OPAP. Particularly since you're buying it for sentimental/historical reasons.

While the Century-built M70s can be fine rifles, in your heart you're going to want a Yugo-built rifle. And the NPAPs aren't any more expensive than the M70s.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top