Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/16/2014 9:32:03 AM EDT
I am looking for a stain that will leave the finish a "Russian Red" on my Pap SBR. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I really wanted to go with BLO finish on mine, but the wood looks like crap. Upper and lower handguards aren't even in the same zipcode as far as color goes.

I'm toying with the idea of some amber shellac with a bit of brown/orange dye in it to help even out the color. I think that's about as authentic as it gets if you're going for a Russian type finish. The color is "on" the wood, not "in" the wood.
You can experiment with the dye until you get the shade you want. Please don't do that awful candy red finish everyone is doing these days. Go more towards the iodine or even burgundy look if you must.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
No I think the RED RED looks like shit, no "weapon" should look like that. I want martial look.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a M70 with Minwax PolyShade in Bombay Mahogany and it looks pretty sweet. As long as you don't put too many coats on it doesn't get too dark. I think I did too coats with the shade, and the 2 coats with minwax poly clear spray.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:40:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did a M70 with Minwax PolyShade in Bombay Mahogany and it looks pretty sweet. As long as you don't put too many coats on it doesn't get too dark. I think I did too coats with the shade, and the 2 coats with minwax poly clear spray.
View Quote

I did a chewed up M-44 with that stuff, and it replicates the darker Mosin finish quite well. If it were only a tad more orange it'd be dead on. I did 2 coats and no spray. I'm afraid it'd look too dark on my M-92.

I'm not usually a Minwax fan, but the Polyshades is perfect for those hard to stain woods, like crappy Home Depot knotty pine and oil soaked Mosin stocks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Interested.... got any pics?? Been thinking of redoin my M70 in a red shade
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea pics.  Thinking of the same.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I did this with the Minwax or whatever it is Lowe's carries. Sanded with a 320 grit block, two or three lights coats of stain, then smothered it in polyurethane. My fiance picked the color & finish (her gun) and I think it turned out nice.

I was actually a little sad taking the upper HG off to put on the Ultimak haha.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top