Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/23/2013 6:25:24 PM EDT
I ordered it from J&G way back in October, but I was out of town and only was able to pick it up today. I went ahead and accepted the package from my FFL even though I noticed some issues because I believe I could fix these issues myself.

1. The stock is canted to the right. It does not appear to be an issue with the rear trunnion, however. It appears the stock is poorly fitted and the face of the stock that interfaces with the trunnion is not square, thus causing the stock to cant to the side when mounted. I am planning on refacing the stock so it fits square.

2. With the safety in the up position, there is a significant gap between the safety lever and the top cover. The gap is around 1/8 inch wide. The entire top cover itself just feels loose when mounted to the gun.

Should I contact Century about the top cover fit? Is there anything I should look at to see what is causing it? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics would help, I would never send a gun back to century, to many horror stories.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the dust cover locked into place? seated properly, etc? Century safety levers will go up further (I accidentally forced mine up so high it scratched the dust cover), however yours is either seated improperly, or your dust cover is seated improperly.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
No, the dust cover is not seating properly. It is being pushed up higher than where it is supposed to sit. I took it to the range today and discovered this is a problem because the safety is not prevented from going above the safe position.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Does it lock into place with the recoil spring
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes it does. It just rests higher than where it is supposed to be and there is a lot of play. I can push it to force it down.

I just looked at my rifle, and there is a dimple located at the top of the the dust cover where the dust cover locks into the front trunnion. That dimple might be too small on my gun so the dust cover is not secured right.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a picture, that dimple also needs to be seated far and tight in the trunnion while the recoil spring is depressed forward, you need to do it all just right to seat the dust cover properly. The dimple should not be showing at all. I don't think it's a machining issue, I think you just need to sequence it all right and I Don't believe it's locking right. Try pushing the dust cover far enough into the trunnion, while depressing the side button and the recoil spring in and apply forward and downward force on the dustcover.

It's difficult especially on the yugos.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#8]
So the dust cover isn't seated all the way forward? The dimple is showing pretty good. I'll take a picture when I got time.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The dimple should be showing very little if at all if it is locked in right. You have to push the dimple into the front trunnion.

Look at this video, and go to about three minutes:

N-pap/O-pap instructional
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I checked mine and there isn't a gap when the safety lever is all the way up, however I don't think the gap itself is really important.  The problem with the cover not fitting is more important, it looks like it is sitting too high.  Would be easier to tell in person, but see what is keeping it high.  Is the slot/hole in the back where the spring button fits cut too high?  Are the sides bent in too far to allow it to sit as low as it should?  I don't see the dust cover or the stock fit as anything worth sending it back to Century for, you should be able to fix both with less hassle.  That's what I like about AKs as most problems can be fixed with a hammer or file.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I checked mine and there isn't a gap when the safety lever is all the way up, however I don't think the gap itself is really important.  The problem with the cover not fitting is more important, it looks like it is sitting too high.  Would be easier to tell in person, but see what is keeping it high.  Is the slot/hole in the back where the spring button fits cut too high?  Are the sides bent in too far to allow it to sit as low as it should?  I don't see the dust cover or the stock fit as anything worth sending it back to Century for, you should be able to fix both with less hassle.  That's what I like about AKs as most problems can be fixed with a hammer or file.
View Quote

There is a lot of play where the dust cover meets the trunnion. It wants to ride high, which is what is causing the gap. The gap is an issue because I am able to slide the safety can be turned up and past the dust cover.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Just checked mine again, my dust cover comes down about 1/8 inch down the side of the receiver.  From the picture of yours it looks like the dust cover is sitting on top of the receiver, is it?  You may be able to get a new Yugo dust cover.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#13]
If the trunnion is improperly machined, a new dust cover will not do much, we'll need pics of the front trunnion unless I am misunderstanding it. The safety lever going up high is normal, on my old NPAP I accidentally pushed it too high and had a light surface scratch on the dust cover.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it an improperly machined trunnion or an improperly stamped dust cover? The dimple on the dust cover is too small to fill the slot in the front trunnion.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Could be either now that you mention it. Pics will decipher when you get a chance
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I can see to the left of the safety lever that the dust cover is not seated. Sometimes there are burrs inside the DC at the rear that can be filed off. Worked for me .

I assume you are depressing the DC lock button when trying to seat DC ??
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#17]
mine looks the same as OP's pic, mine looks like its either the cover or rear trunnion thats the problem

Link Posted: 12/25/2013 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
mine looks the same as OP's pic, mine looks like its either the cover or rear trunnion thats the problem

<a href="http://s213.photobucket.com/user/mpatrick01/media/junk/CF5515D5-26FE-416F-B8C0-370261151A03.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc130/mpatrick01/junk/CF5515D5-26FE-416F-B8C0-370261151A03.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s213.photobucket.com/user/mpatrick01/media/junk/587866DA-107F-4293-8AA8-33DBAC7EA5C7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc130/mpatrick01/junk/587866DA-107F-4293-8AA8-33DBAC7EA5C7.jpg</a>
View Quote

Yours is normal, the M92/85 had crooked dust covers on the latch that still will lock with the recoil spring, however is not perfectly straight at the rear of the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yours is normal, the M92/85 had crooked dust covers on the latch that still will lock with the recoil spring, however is not perfectly straight at the rear of the receiver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s213.photobucket.com/user/mpatrick01/media/junk/CF5515D5-26FE-416F-B8C0-370261151A03.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc130/mpatrick01/junk/CF5515D5-26FE-416F-B8C0-370261151A03.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s213.photobucket.com/user/mpatrick01/media/junk/587866DA-107F-4293-8AA8-33DBAC7EA5C7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc130/mpatrick01/junk/587866DA-107F-4293-8AA8-33DBAC7EA5C7.jpg</a>

My only gripe is that the safety doesnt fill the gap properly, other than that everything fits and is tight and aligned.

Link Posted: 12/25/2013 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
</a>
View Quote

That is just a poorly-fitted dust cover.  The bottom of the "square" opening on the cover was cut too far down, allowing the cover to ride up on the rear of the recoil spring guide.  That might be part of the "New Normal" we keep hearing about, but it would bother the hell out of me.  None of my many AKs have that defect.  I'd replace the dust cover with one which either fit properly, or I personally could fit to the AK.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
That is just a poorly-fitted dust cover.  The bottom of the "square" opening on the cover was cut too far down, allowing the cover to ride up on the rear of the recoil spring guide.  That might be part of the "New Normal" we keep hearing about, but it would bother the hell out of me.  None of my many AKs have that defect.  I'd replace the dust cover with one which either fit properly, or I personally could fit to the AK.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

</a>

I think they cut the cover that way because it wouldnt close otherwise because its hitting the rear trunnion right below the latch hole. If I take the latch and recoil spring out the cover doesnt close any farther.  I'm not going to worry about it, I'm replacing the rear trunion next week to do a ak100 poly side folder conversion

Link Posted: 12/27/2013 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Seems like somebody else has the same issue.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169314
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#23]
op i have a spare dust cover from a wasr in my gun room if you want to try it on your gun message me your addy
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Sorry the Yugo M70's dust cover is not compatible with one off a standard AK47/AKM. Thank you for the offer though,
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#25]
np just trying to help. gl with the fix
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Century safety levers will go up further (I accidentally forced mine up so high it scratched the dust cover), however yours is either seated improperly, or your dust cover is seated improperly.
View Quote

Century has nothing to do with the safety lever on these rifles. The safety was made in Serbia.

OP Your dust cover isn't locking in to the correct position. The dust cover for these rifles runs about $45. to $50. you could fit yours but if your rear trunnion is not right it may be better to send the rifle back.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Saw them on sale at Apex for $50 bucks. I figured it was worth a try and went ahead and picked one up (but damn $50 for an AK dust cover stings a little).

Fingers crossed, hope this solves the problem. If not, I can just send it back.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Saw them on sale at Apex for $50 bucks. I figured it was worth a try and went ahead and picked one up (but damn $50 for an AK dust cover stings a little).

Fingers crossed, hope this solves the problem. If not, I can just send it back.
View Quote

They cost so much because they're different than any other AK and not as common. Hopefully that solves your problem.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#29]
So my M70 top cover from APEX arrived today, and the problem persists. I guess the trunnion is improperly machined then? Could I get a picture of what the trunnion should look like? I am interested in the groove where the top cover fits into.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey Ritterbruder,
I got my O-Pap last week.  I have the same problem.  The first thing that I noticed was the loose and rattling dust cover.  I did not think much of it until I took it to the range.  The safety is locking into safe from the gap between the reciever and the cover.  The cover must be removed to get the safety unjammed.  Other than the safety locking, the rifle is awesome.  However, that opinion will change if there is not a simple fix for this problem.  I will be calling the dealer to find out if this is his or Century's warranty issue.

Anyway, I was wanting to know how this has worked out for you and if you can point me in the right direction for getting this fixed?  Thank you!
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top