Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/22/2012 5:32:10 AM EDT
A friend of mine whom I've known since he moved here from Yugoslavia over a dozen years ago finally bought himself his first AK (that is, his first since moving to the states).  He just had to have a Yugo M70.  He wanted one exactly like his old one back home.  He brought it over the other night and it was built by Velocity on a supposed virgin kit on the appropriate Nodak Spud M70 receiver.  First I had heard of Velocity but I must admit it was a great build job.  He did mention that the top cover seemed light compared to his old one and it was also not a great fit.  Took some doing to get it back on after removing it.

While I am aware the receivers were 1.6mm RPK-style receivers, does this also apply to the top cover as well?  The top cover I held seemed to be the same thickness as all my AK's.  He also mentioned something about the Yugo ones being milled but I'm not sure about that part.  Anyone know enough to weigh in?

I'll get some pics once he puts the appropriate grip on the rifle.  I told him the first thing he needs to do is scrap that TAPCO Russian-style AKM grip.  It just doesn't look right.  Fit and finish was beautiful, though.  The night sights even still glow!
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Yugo top covers are nearly 1/2" shorter than other AK variants, so it's hard to mix them up and end up with one from another country.
Milled rifle Yugo top covers are made of slightly heavier (thicker) material than the stamped rifle covers and tend to fit a little tighter.   Milled rifle covers will work on stamped receivers, but you need to notch a milled cover for the bulged trunnion of the stamped rifles since milled rifles don't have the bulged trunnion.

Link Posted: 6/23/2012 2:59:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Yugo grip laying around here if you need one.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 4:18:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if this helps but like liquid said they are just slightly shorter... i changed the crappy railed one on my zastava pap and had the new one fitting perfect after about 20 mins under the knife (dremel) ... any can be altered to fit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 5:21:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies, guys.  As usual, you guys come through.  I figured this one must be the correct one considering it has the indented relief cuts toward the back where that lateral push pin works that they used to hold the return spring assembly in place.  Like a lot of other features about the Yugo AK's, something that sets them apart.  Personally, I've always thought the Yugo AK's were just a tad overengineered but they seem to be a great rifle.  

I appreciate the offer for the Yugo grip.  This guy has been like a brother to me since he came over so I'm gonna pony up the couple bucks and buy one for him.  Doesn't hurt that I'm the only American he knows who is fluent in his native tongue (we have a huge population of expatriated Bosnians, Serbs and Croats that settled in my town after the war and I learned from hanging around them and even dating one).  I know somebody that has a grip here in town.  If he doesn't still have it I'll keep you in mind.  Thanks again, guys!

p.s. I thought about breaking out the Dremel and doing some very minor shaving.  If shooting it tomorrow doesn't loosen it just a tad then that's what I'll do.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top