Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/22/2011 3:51:05 AM EDT
Hello urbudy,

Recently I ran into a Bulgarian (of all people) carrying a "sniper" rifle I had never seen before.  I had seen them carrying Dragunovs and PSL's but this had a heavier barrel, looked beefier, had nice wood furniture but had AK over under handguards, plus the hooded front sight looked beefy like a Yugoslavian rifle. So I asked him what if he spoke English, he did, and then asked what type of rifle he had.  He replied "a sniper rifle".  I felt stupid, so I asked if I could get a picture of it, he said sure, then his buddies let me hold it and get a picture of it too.  I knew the guy had to run so I snapped two quick pictures while I was holding it before he took off.  I'm kind of kicking myself for not getting a better picture of the scope mount and other parts, but time was an issue as he had stuff to do.  I got a chance to ask him what caliber, and I was suspecting 8mm because it looked Yugoslavian, but he said "seven six two".

So I went and did some research.  I knew right away before checking the internet that it had to be Yugoslavian due to A) the handguards B) front sight post C) orange tag on the scope... seriously orange tag for a sniper rifle?

I PROMISE I WILL POST PICTURES LATER!

Question: how do we get these into the U.S.?  I already read a rumor control saying they won't be imported, BUT, Zastava has already imported a Kalashnikov variant with a thumbhole buttstock in here that was Ban compliant.  From what I read on wikipedia (the ultimate source for credible information ) it only holds ten rounder mags.  We could totall get this in as a "sporting rifle".
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:03:00 AM EDT
[#1]
The M91 in it's current form has the dreaded third pin, which makes it a no-go for importation.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#2]
ah, that makes sense, do military grade Romanian PSL's have a third pin?  Actually I have pictures of those as well I'm gonna check myself
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Just checked, and PSL's do have a third pin, so I don't understand how they couldn't convert it to a non-third pin receiver.... Romania does it already
-Pics as promised
Bulgarian:

Up Close:

Side View:
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#4]
You'd have to swing a deal with Zastava like Mitchell did to have the rifles built without the third pin.

Military M76s have the third pin as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You'd have to swing a deal with Zastava like Mitchell did to have the rifles built without the third pin.

Military M76s have the third pin as well.

Ya, I can see that being a problem, I wonder how willing a company like that would be to do that
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 2:32:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I did e-mail Gunsimporter.com, the current importer of the new Vepr rifles, about possibly bringing in Zastava rifles in the future.  The owner Anthony said he has all he can handle dealing with Molot these days.  He thought it was a great idea, he just doesn't have the resources to do it right now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 2:36:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I did e-mail Gunsimporter.com, the current importer of the new Vepr rifles, about possibly bringing in Zastava rifles in the future.  The owner Anthony said he has all he can handle dealing with Molot these days.  He thought it was a great idea, he just doesn't have the resources to do it right now.

That's pretty cool! I bet the Serbs would be easier to deal with than the Russians, there's something very laid back about Eastern Europeans...
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's pretty cool! I bet the Serbs would be easier to deal with than the Russians, there's something very laid back about Eastern Europeans...

I sent Anthony (Gunsimporter.com) some pics of certain Zastava rifles I thought might be importable and he now has renewed interest.  He said he was going to look into this and see what kind of obstacles (political and/or legal) might be in the way of importing some rifles.  We'll see.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I sent Anthony (Gunsimporter.com) some pics of certain Zastava rifles I thought might be importable and he now has renewed interest.  He said he was going to look into this and see what kind of obstacles (political and/or legal) might be in the way of importing some rifles.  We'll see.

dude, you've got some hook ups, did you show him pictures of the M91?  How I would love to go deer hunting with one of those!
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

did you show him pictures of the M91?  How I would love to go deer hunting with one of those!

At least initially I wanted to keep it simple, reasonable, and attainable when he asked me for my opinion on the matter.  I sent him pics of these two rifles:

M77 (5.56)

M76 (.308)

These rifles are classified as sporting rifles (not military) by Zastava and would require minimal mods to be importable.  The third pin of the M91 really complicates matters and I didn't want to bother Anthony with that at this point.

Ultimately it's up to Anthony what he does with this, I just gave him the two cents he requested of me on the matter.

Link Posted: 8/27/2011 12:59:16 AM EDT
[#11]
that makes sense... but this M91 will not get out of my head... what if they put the buttstock onto that .308 version?  That could be tight!
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I didn't know that the .308 M-76's receiver was stamped, not milled. Has this always been the case?
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I didn't know that the .308 M-76's receiver was stamped, not milled. Has this always been the case?

The commercial/civilian M76 (pictured above) and the military M76 are two different rifles.

The commercial M76 rifle is a stamped .308.  The Military rifle is a milled 8x57.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#14]
so im kinda ignorant to this.  will the M76 be available to us to purchase? if and when? how much $$$?
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

so im kinda ignorant to this.  will the M76 be available to us to purchase? if and when? how much $$$?

I requested an update.  Anthony is probably a (very) busy guy and I don't want to be a pest about this.

Link Posted: 10/17/2011 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Bump!

put me down for 2 Yugo M91's !!    been wanting that for years now...

Joezeta
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#17]
if we could at least get the furniture, i've been researching m91's for quite some time now, they seem to share many parts with the m76 (military milled m76) i have a nice m76 front stub that i was thinking of doing a reweld with and reworking the rear to take a modified svd stock. using a laminate m90 hg set from ironwood might work for the front. other then that i'd use m76 barrel parts, gas tube and bolt carrier, a psl bolt and moddified svd mags (for the look). i'm sure the barrel profile is basicly the same as an m76 so i could either have a friend cut a barrel from a blank or maybe a mosin barrel.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#18]
hey liquid metal, any update, I know Zastava just imported the PAP rifles and pistol, but is there any chance somebody has been dealing with them to get us the M91?
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#19]
This thread is a blast from the past, I forgot all about it.  Last time I spoke with Anthony, he said he was in contact with Zastava but they were being "difficult" to deal with.  After that, I just plain forgot about the whole thing.

Sent another e-mail today to see what, if anything, came of it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#20]
awesome, I was bored looking through photos and came up on that one, thought about all those rifle Zastava was importing without the third pin and was wondering if they were going to bring some M91's in
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 5:12:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

This thread is a blast from the past, I forgot all about it.  Last time I spoke with Anthony, he said he was in contact with Zastava but they were being "difficult" to deal with.  After that, I just plain forgot about the whole thing.

Sent another e-mail today to see what, if anything, came of it.

Heard back.  Zastava showed no interest in dealing with him.  Perhaps they felt a smaller importer was not worth the time when they had Century and K-Var on the line.

Dead end on this one.  I do like the fact that he tried, more than some might have done.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#22]
ya, that's pretty cool he put forth that effort, hopefully century or somebody picks up the M91
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

ya, that's pretty cool he put forth that effort, hopefully century or somebody picks up the M91

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting on Century to either: A) do it, or B) do it without screwing some part of it up.  I have little to no faith with them on these matters.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#24]
It is sad that these large eastern european companies do not want to deal with a smaller importer, that is how interest gets built up. Look at IO with the Archer, now if only another would company would take over importation These days these companies only want multi thousand piece orders or they are not interested. They seem to sell enough rifles to militaries to not care about the US market.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#25]
The problem is the time and money part for what little return it can bring.

it's nothing about enthusiast or cool rifles, it's about money.

Same in Hungary....and other places....
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#26]
but look at how well izhmash is doing though, the US alone brought in over $15 million in sales for them!
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

but look at how well izhmash is doing though, the US alone brought in over $15 million in sales for them!

That doesn't imply profitability however.  The company I work for does considerably more than that per fiscal quarter and yet there are times we will not turn much (if any) of a profit.  Top line sales versus bottom line profits...

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#28]
If you can't make money in the US civilian market, your doing something wrong. Sadly, a lot of these euro nation mfgs can't figure it out. Teaming up with people like IO inc. doesn't help ether.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The problem is the time and money part for what little return it can bring.

it's nothing about enthusiast or cool rifles, it's about money.

Same in Hungary....and other places....

That is true, but most large companies do not want to invest the time and resources to cultivate a new market. They want to invest in a large ready made market such as military contracts. Izhmash is a different story, with the Russian military not interested in any new AK74's and waiting on the AK12 they have to broaden their market. And with the flood of cheaper AK's for foreign military contracts Russian AK's are not in demand, so they have to cultivate the US market in order to survive.

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top