Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2017 4:03:27 PM EDT
Can anyone point me to a test of most available 7.62X39 ammo fired from SKS rifles?  I've checked several sites and most of the are personal opinions with no qualifiers as to the shooters skill level, condition of the rifle, and just "what I found out".  A friend (a NRA Distinguished shooter) and I had a limited amount of different 7.62X39 ammo in 5 pristine SKS, Chinese, Russian, and Yugo rifles and were getting ready for a rifle match.  The targets were steel at distances 200, 300, & 400 yds.  We shot the rifles at 300 yards at a steel target 12"x16".  Unfortunately in our hurry to get ready for the match we didn't document the different ammo brands (darn it) as we just wanted to know what would stay inside these targets for the match.  Shot the rifles with 5 shots each with each brand of ammo, let it cool, then we would switch shooters to confirm the results.  As to the different brands, it was the commonly purchased ammo, except for Golden Tiger.  We settled on Wolf Polyformance and Russian white box ammo 123 FMJ as it would shoot 7-8 inch groups, while the other shot shotgun patterns.  Oddly we found the Yugo brass case ammo shot good in only one rifle, the Yugo!

If anyone knows of a well documented ammo test using the SKS, I appreciate the link.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't wanna be a Debbie Downer, but I don't think you'll find what you're looking for.  IMO, there's just too many variables in play to do anything realistic with it. I recommend, buying case lots of ammo and testing it in your rifle.  Remember that the SKS was not designed to be a precision rifles and there may be some wide tolerances. I've seen some Garands that gauged horribly, but shot great.  Then see a perfect gauged one with the same lot ammo shoot like crap.  No matter what, YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Well now that is an idea, however before I throw money at  something I thought maybe, just maybe someone had put the time and money into this project.  Thanks any way.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Youre gonna have to try different batches in the rifle you want to use to find whats best in that rifld

i have found that some runs of x39 from the same company might shoot good, then a different lot doesnt.  Both 124gr tula fmj, for example. Bought a couple years apart.  One shooting twice as tight as the other in the same gun.

When u find x39 that ur gun likes, it can be quite accurate.  

As sks' have old barrels and varied rount counts, a real test would be fairly pointless for anyone other than the owner of that rifle.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top