Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/14/2017 12:41:43 AM EDT
I need to know how big (diameter-wise) is the pin holding the handguard onto the gas tube.

Many years ago I replaced my SKS stock with one of those polymer side-folder things (this may or may not have been during the Clinton assault weapons ban when such frivolity was frowned upon by the jack-booted thugs of the .gov ). As part of that, I also changed out the gas tube handguard by carefully knocking out the retaining pin and reusing it once I had the black guard in place.

Well, a few years went by and I got the urge to put the rifle back to stock, but left the polymer guard on because it was very difficult to change. Well, now I think I want it back to 100% original, so I've developed a scheme to replace the factory pin with a roll pin (so I don't have to worry about having to mushroom the head of the old retaining pin again). Trouble is, I need to find out how big that pin is before I destroy it by taking it apart (again).
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Use a casing or finishing nail and peen the clipped end (Trim from the point to size but eave the head on).

or..

SKS Handguard Ferrule Pin
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#2]
+ 1 on the nail tip, I've done that and it works great.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I use finishing nails to rescue SKS's too. Slapping it in a vice works too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the tips about finishing nails. I will definitely look into that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought my SKS with a bubba made pin installed. The pin was way undersized and bent in a U shape to make it hold in.

Finally got around to making a new one a week or 2 ago. I measured the hole as 7/64in with a drill bit. 1/8in was too big so I put a pin I had in my dremal tool and narrowed it on a grind stone. It fits great now and made a huge difference. There is still some play in the gas tube but not nearly as much as before.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought my SKS with a bubba made pin installed. The pin was way undersized and bent in a U shape to make it hold in.

Finally got around to making a new one a week or 2 ago. I measured the hole as 7/64in with a drill bit. 1/8in was too big so I put a pin I had in my dremal tool and narrowed it on a grind stone. It fits great now and made a huge difference. There is still some play in the gas tube but not nearly as much as before.
View Quote
Thanks much for that info! Time to go pull out the old Harbor Freight (hey, you didn't think I was gonna go all high-tech here didya??) roll pin assortment to see if they included a 7/64th!
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top