Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/2/2017 10:28:59 PM EDT
Excellent condition maybe 10 rounds fired through it.
Matching #'s, spiker bayo, cleaning kit, green sling with leather tabs.
How do I tell if it has a screwed in barrel as opposed to pinned barrel?
And value? Thanks

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You can probably get $400 out of it but prices vary. I can't tell for certain from your pics but from I can see it's probably a pinned barrel. You'll need to look at the barrel forward of the receiver and see if it has a barrel collar.  If it's just pretty much smooth it's pinned.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about value but Mike is 99.999% correct pinned it should look like this.

Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both very much. The pic helps!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

No pin.
all matching #'s except for topcover
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
That's odd every threaded receiver I have has a blade bayonet, I was unaware they added spike bayonets to threaded barrel/receivers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a transitional carbine.  It's when the Chinese were making cost saving revisions to their SKS's. Short collar screw in barrel. Stamped trigger group housing. Cruciform (Spike) bayonet.  I'm curious, is the arsenal number in a triangle, oval or rectangle?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a transitional carbine.  It's when the Chinese were making cost saving revisions to their SKS's. Short collar screw in barrel. Stamped trigger group housing. Cruciform (Spike) bayonet.  I'm curious, is the arsenal number in a triangle, oval or rectangle?
View Quote

First you said it was pinned, now transitional. What year is transitional?

There is no arsenal stamp, only serial #,
No other stampings or numbers anywhere else other than serial #'s on parts and the "0" stamp on barrel right up by receiver.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I kind of laughed at the $400 estimate.  Serbian police trade-ins are selling for $430 right now.  

https://www.classicfirearms.com/yugo-sks-semi-auto-762-39-original-condition-pti

I can't imagine a Chinese in that condition bringing less, unless someone recently uncovered a reason why they're not as good as Yugo/Serbian SKSs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

First you said it was pinned, now transitional. What year is transitional?

There is no arsenal stamp, only serial #,
No other stampings or numbers anywhere else other than serial #'s on parts and the "0" stamp on barrel right up by receiver.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155838/IMG-0599-161557.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155838/IMG-0598-161558.JPG
View Quote

Arsenal /26\ rifles are the only ones you can date.  I would say that this was one of three things.  One made, made in the '70's and stored.  Two, parts scrubbed, thrown into a bin the "rearsenaled".  Or three assembled from a bunch of left over parts in the '80's and sent to us Yankee Dogs.  Either way you'll never date this one.  Welcome to Chinese SKS's.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I kind of laughed at the $400 estimate.  Serbian police trade-ins are selling for $430 right now.  

https://www.classicfirearms.com/yugo-sks-semi-auto-762-39-original-condition-pti

I can't imagine a Chinese in that condition bringing less, unless someone recently uncovered a reason why they're not as good as Yugo/Serbian SKSs.
View Quote

They're selling like this between $350-$450.  Check it out yourself.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Sold for $400 locally.

Does Yugo have chrome lined barrel?
I know they used corrosive ammo and the ones I saw were pitted to heck in barrel, gas tube and gas block areas.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sold for $400 locally.

Does Yugo have chrome lined barrel?
I know they used corrosive ammo and the ones I saw were pitted to heck in barrel, gas tube and gas block areas.
View Quote
Yugos do not. M67 is corrosive, but is great ammo.  If it's a used one check the barrel and gas system.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top