BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/22/2016 9:47:38 PM EDT
Well, what is someone waiting for?????
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#1]

As the former owner of a Yugo SKS...I say no. I was underwhelmed.  While it could make steel plates ring at 200 yards with irons, it was neither ergonomic nor endearing. Just cant see a domestic demand for this.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Am considering getting a Yugo SKS, what did you not like?  Have a Chinese one, thought a Yugo would be a good match.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the 16" sks, but it would be impossible to make it for the value it could provide.

Don't forget, the real reason we have so many unemployed, is government regulations designed to hurt the American economy.

Txl
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Am considering getting a Yugo SKS, what did you not like?  Have a Chinese one, thought a Yugo would be a good match.
View Quote

Heavy as a battleship anchor, surprising amount of recoil for the weight of it, bapped me in the cheek every trigger pull, quite a few malfunctions.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#5]
doubletap
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#6]
A ten round, stripper clip fed, rifle that weighs a ton.

No.

I like my SKS, it won't be worth a damn when a AR is $450.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No.

View Quote

That would cost over 1k.  Lolz
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks DR for the feedback!
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#9]
The quality would be poor or the price crazy. Probably like mini 30 or even more.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#10]
SKS meh
Ak is best
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

This was my thought.  $1000 dollar would likely be wholesale cost.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#12]
You have the modern version of it already called the saiga
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#13]
The SKS is a manufacturing intensive rifle. Tons of machined parts.
$$$$$

The US doesn't not have cheap or slave labor like the commie countries did.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#15]
good luck with that business plan

nobody will buy them
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As the former owner of a Yugo SKS...I say no. I was underwhelmed.  While it could make steel plates ring at 200 yards with irons, it was neither ergonomic nor endearing. Just cant see a domestic demand for this.
View Quote

With  Tech-sight peep sights, 300 yards is doable. (Russian SKS)  

I traded my SKS for a golf cart.  The golf cart has a much longer range.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#17]
They'd sell behind communist lines.
Mass
California
NY
New Jersey

Hell, they may be the musket of the next revolution.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No.

View Quote

Pretty much. When you could buy a Tula for $79 with a case of ammo then they were a deal

While I still like my sks and it a good deer gun up here, I would never buy one for more than $80...if that
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I own several Chinese and 1 yugo. I love my SKSs! That said, I think I got raped paying $400 for the one yugo. To me the sks was awesome for a $150 piece of military history that you could hunt big game with. But I would not pay over $250 again and I only like legit mil surp stuff, so a "made in 'merica" sks wouldn't really be of any value to me.
As far as issues, the only thing I notice is that the stock is super short, bump my nose on the receiver when shooting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#20]
So basically what you want is a mini 14
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So basically what you want is a mini 14
View Quote

I think you mean mini 30.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Ironically enough I just took my old Norinco Paratrooper out of the safe to start measuring parts to see if it's doable to make new ones. I wouldn't bother trying to compete with the AR or AK market, rather as a big stiff FU to the commie states it would be catered for sale behind their lines. The idea of chambering in 5.56 and 7.62 39 was on my mind, also the possibility of a 7.62 51 version. Again, not mag fed and not a replacement for an AR or AK, rather an anti anti-gunner gun, but still small and handy like my little paratrooper.

Input?
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ironically enough I just took my old Norinco Paratrooper out of the safe to start measuring parts to see if it's doable to make new ones. I wouldn't bother trying to compete with the AR or AK market, rather as a big stiff FU to the commie states it would be catered for sale behind their lines. The idea of chambering in 5.56 and 7.62 39 was on my mind, also the possibility of a 7.62 51 version. Again, not mag fed and not a replacement for an AR or AK, rather an anti anti-gunner gun, but still small and handy like my little paratrooper.

Input?
View Quote

Why 308? Just curious not shooting down the idea. 308 is more expensive. 7.62X39 is cheap and abundant.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Why 308? Just curious not shooting down the idea. 308 is more expensive. 7.62X39 is cheap and abundant.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Input?

Well, if I can get it onto the market I'd like to service a wide variety of folks. Being that there is no way to actually compete with the mag fed market I wanted to offer something that's not available. That and the SKS and the FAL actually operate on a similar principle I thought it was a possibility worth considering. But the 7.62 39 and 5.56 versions would be first, no doubt.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Although I like the idea, I think it would be more expensive than people would want to pay. While the SKS is a relatively simple semiauto rifle, it is a machining intensive rifle for what it is. Of course, the fire control set would need to be redesigned to provied a decent trigger pull, and the finish machining would need to be much better than the originals to interest American buyers.

If it were  to be done, Fulton Armory would do a fantastic job of reworking the old rifles. The biggest problem in appealing to the American buyer would  be the caliber itself. If it could handle something like 6.5 creedmoor, or one of the 270 variants you could get much better long range performance out of the SKS platform. Of course then you would have to deal with the sighting options in a way that overcomes the problems the shortcomings of most of the existing sight solutions out on the market. A cantilever mount for a long eye relief scope - like used on the scout rifle concept - would be the best for optical sighting to maximize accuracy at range. I almost forgot the stock - length of pull is too short for most average people.

Between the tigger group, the sighting problems and the limitations of the caliber, and that short length of pull, that would make the SKS a much better rifle. But then, in the end you would still have an SKS...  just a better looking and better performing SKS and the question would then be; How much are you willing to pay for one?

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I wonder if the SKS would be able to handle the chamber pressure of 7.62 NATO??? Personally, I'd want to use a sub-30 caliber to get near te same ballistic results. I don't think the Soviet or Chicom steel would be able to do the job, interesting engineering challenge though.

I'd like to see it sporterized to streamline the design, executed in stainless steel; remove the fugly military sights, make it a box mag action, stretch it out for a larger caliber and put a decent length of pull and trigger on it and you might have a winner. If certain aspects of the design would be improved, take the receiver cover for example, (make it less Browning Auto 5 hump like), and delete the bayonet hinge/trough on the underside of the forend of the stock, and it just might become the swan it could be instead of the plug ugly duckling it is.

Nice idea!

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#27]
As others have stated, the start up cost vs demand is the reason why no one has done this.  I believe the rifles would be well over $1500 dealer cost on them due to all the research and tooling issues. As to various calibers, yes it's very doable. The Chinese made and still do make a .223 version. Larger calibers, absolutely!  The SKS is a scaled down design that used the 14.5mm. If someone came out with an SKS in 7.62NATO in the M1a price range I'd probably be a buyer. Now for the OP, dude change that gay screen name.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top