Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2016 5:26:04 PM EDT
My SKS was puncturing primers(Tulammo), It just started happening out of nowhere. It was literally cookie cutting out little brass pieces of primer- and the little pieces jammed up my firing pin and I got 2 slamfires in a row! I did the trick where you relieve the sharp hole the firing pin rides through, that seems to have helped. It's not puncturing anymore. However the primers still look like they are getting beat up pretty bad. I'm wondering now it its an ejector issue, as if the elector isn't holding the cartridge tight against the bolt. It this a possibility? Thoughts? It looks very much like this one on the right:
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you been to the Murray's Gunsmithing page he has some good info on popped primers.

info and video
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes I did that procedure already, that's what fixed the puncturing problem. I still get the beat up primers though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:17:11 AM EDT
[#3]
You may need the chamber reaming procedure.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If you chamfered the firing pin hole then the primer will flow into there.  Normal.  Beretta 92 pistols are this way from factory and have a chamfered fp hole for reliabity.  Beretta 92 fired primers have this pattern as a result.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not an ejector issue. It's not an Ar- there is no ejector in your boltface it is milled integral with the left receiver rail.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not an ejector issue. It's not an Ar- there is no ejector in your boltface it is milled integral with the left receiver rail.
View Quote

I think he meant extractor.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the same issue with Tulammo in an SKS recently. Cold ammo seems to run fine, but when the ammo sits outside in the sun for a bit, I start having issues. Weird.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Slamfires in the SKS are common due to cosmoline issues. How clean is your rifle?

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=14&t=360938
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had the same issue with Tulammo in an SKS recently. Cold ammo seems to run fine, but when the ammo sits outside in the sun for a bit, I start having issues. Weird.
View Quote

This is not really strange. It is common issue. Some powders are more sensitive to temperature then others.
When certen power heats up it creates more pressure thus the primer issue.
When it is cold it produces Less pressure .
This is seen more with older and or cheaper powders. Maybe tula changed powders  for some reason.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top