Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2016 4:05:38 PM EDT
Recently I swapped out the wood stock on a friends Yugo SKS for the tapco.  I did it for free cause he's a good friend.  I put some pics on FB of what I did now I've got 3-4 people wanting me to do the same on there's,  His was extremely dirty, still had alot of the cosmoline on it so I spent a bunch of time just cleaning it.  The install was pretty simple, just had to file the new gas tube some to fit.  Anyways, whats a reasonable price to charge, not wanting to get rich, just enjoy working with firearms.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are a drinking man, I recommend an evening's worth of your favorite beverage.  (My favorite beverage is a good IPA, followed by a good single malt Scotch, or a single barrel bourbon, being a Kentuckian of Scottish ancestry, that is what I want).

If you don't drink, a 6pack of Torpedo IPA costs about $10 in my area.  Co-incidentally, this is just above minimum wage for an hour's work.  I don't approve of minimum wage legislation, but I certainly don't think my labor is worth less than minimum wage.

Doing simple tasks for technically inept people is fine, a good way to make friends.  I do believe that they should pay some thing, though.  If disguised, (as beer), or some thing else, (insert other cost here), it is fine.

Really good friends do things for each other all of the time, so no accounting required there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I could be mistaken but I believe you have to have an FFL to accept cash for work.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could be mistaken but I believe you have to have an FFL to accept cash for work.
View Quote

It doesn't have to be cash, bartering can be considered payment.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, I did a restock of a Yugo and cleaned up the cosmo on it.  I got to keep the original wood stock for doing it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^This, as far as I understand it. IF you accept any form of compensation for smith-services, you have to have a FFL
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#7]
But, changing the stock doesn't require a Smith...
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

^^ This as well. It is stupid simple to swap stocks on an SKS. some minor fitting might be required, but nothing a little sandpaper or dremel cant fix quickly.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

People take their cars to the dealership to get new windshield wipers put on. So at what point does work on a firearm require a licensed gunsmith?  The answer is, if there is any compensation involved, then you need to have an FFL.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

People take their cars to the dealership to get new windshield wipers put on. So at what point does work on a firearm require a licensed gunsmith?  The answer is, if there is any compensation involved, then you need to have an FFL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it any compensation or is it making a sustained income?  I thought there had to be a pattern of "being in the business of".   I guess if it was a recurring thing it could be an additional income stream even with barter.  Just curious.

To the OP:  I have several of my own tools for maintaining many of my firearms and for building ARs, to save myself money.  I've never charged a friend to swap a barrel, install a hand guard, swap out a muzzle device, or push sights on a pistol.  Some have brought me a six-pack later on, or helped me with a project that they have more expertise or resources to do right.  I usually just do it as a favor and to get my money's worth out of the tools I've bought.  I also just kind of consider it neighborly to help out someone I can help out.   Besides, hanging out in the garage talking guns with friends is just something I enjoy doing.  It lets me delay mowing the lawn or other chores.  It seems like if you want to start an income stream, you may need to invest in the FFL.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I believe ATF at one time considered simply painting firearms for others to be "gunsmithing". I believe the core of the issue was leaving guns for work to be done. If the actual owner of the gun is always present, I doubt there would be an ATF issue (not a lawyer, not giving legal advice). However, make a habit of performing work for money and you can expect local, State and/or the Federal Government to come looking for their taxes. That happened to a friend of my Wife who did wedding/party planning on the side for a few extra bucks. Not a lot, just three or four events a year was enough to put her under the microscope.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Isn't there a 922R requirement on making changes to an SKS?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#13]
The first time you do one for somebody that subsequently gets hurt using the weapon, you will be the one that gets blamed and sued! The fact that you have no FFL means you have no insurance so plan on loosing everything you own!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Isn't there a 922R requirement on making changes to an SKS?
View Quote
Don't be that guy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Only if it is modified to take a detachable magazine
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top