Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/18/2016 4:04:26 PM EDT
Hello everyone.

Friend at work has a Norinco, just like mine, but his isn't as pretty...

Anyways...He wants a 30 Round Mag, that functions properly, anyone have a recommendation from PERSONAL experience, of one that functions flawlessly?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
They're hit or miss.  IMO they're not worth it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Tapco 20rd mags are GTG.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#3]
As mentioned, the most readily available solution is the Tapco 20. Old U.S.A brand are available from time to time on GB but they are not cheap. Either way, he'll have to play the 922r game. If he's got the additional US parts to keep the import count down or is needing 2 additional US parts from the mag, then fine.  I just don't think it's worth it for more capacity.

That said, duck bill mag changes are a hassle and generally slower than strippers. He can use strippers with the duckbills but would have to modify the feed lips on the Tapco (This mod voids the warranty). I don't remember if the U.S.A brand require the mod but I'd imagine so. Also, the bolt has to be open for the change unless he's modified the bolt to allow for closed bolt mag changes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#4]
They aren't worth it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll recommend buying an AK.  If your friend enjoys the SKS that much but wants a reliable 30+ round magazine get either an M or a D.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Factory 10 round. 100 dollars says I can lod it with srippers faster that the detatch mag. 99%of this mags are a headache and a waste of money. Best option is try and find a factory red star 20rd mag.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hello everyone.

Friend at work has a Norinco, just like mine, but his isn't as pretty...

Anyways...He wants a 30 Round Mag, that functions properly, anyone have a recommendation from PERSONAL experience, of one that functions flawlessly?
View Quote

He should read up on 922 compliance before he changes anything on an SKS.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Factory 10 round. 100 dollars says I can load it with strippers faster that the detatchable mag. 99%of this mags are a headache and a waste of money. Best option is try and find a factory red star 20rd mag.
View Quote

I second that.  My suggest is also to learn to use stripper clips with the SKS.

Instead of making an SKS bubba-tastic, buy an AK if you want detachable mags like was the stated.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Instead of making an SKS bubba-tastic, buy an AK if you want detachable mags like was the stated.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Factory 10 round. 100 dollars says I can load it with strippers faster that the detatchable mag. 99%of this mags are a headache and a waste of money. Best option is try and find a factory red star 20rd mag.

3rd on that. Master the stripper clips.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tapco 20rd mags are GTG.
View Quote

^^^ this x2, of the dozen or so sks rifles (chicom and yugo) I've owned in the past the only thing as reliable as the factory fixed mag are the Tapco 20 round mags. I don't own an SKS anymore because there a much better options currently for a few more bucks.

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top