Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2015 10:46:37 AM EDT
I have a person wanting to trade to me an SKS that takes AK mags.  It has a shorter barrel then the regular SKS,  It has a thumbhole stock and made in China.  It also has aftermarket scope mount receiver cover thing.  I don't know if the original comes with it.   The wood may have been refinished if that matters.

What do I need to know on these to check it out and establish value?    The valuation I seek is based on something I would take as opposed to something I want.

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:44:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I would give about $400 fair price for one based on Chinese plain sks prices I have seen lately in the $300 range.  I doubt that cover mount is worth a crap.  Prolly can't hit shit with it the reason he wants to get rid of it.  That you can use. $two fiddy I'd try for something you would take. Friend had one and I had to help him fix the trigger bar in it.  It should be a thumb hole stock rough as hell blond wood.  I'm no ex bert on them by any means.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If real, Those are the SKS M sporter's, should have a shorter gas tube. Check the numbers make sure they match, see if it has the original receiver cover. Make sure it takes actual AK mags, and that it hasn't been modified. The bolt shouldn't have a guide for stripper clips, and the trigger group should have a long lever for the ak magazines. A few other different features too. average value seems to be 600+ for a decent one, they sell for more depending how bad someone wants it. I'm not sure how a refenished stock and non matching numbers would effect  the value.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, I bought one a few months ago for $450.  It was in a synthetic side folder, came with 3 30 round mags and 100 rounds of ammo.  That gun should also not have a bayo lug on it.  I personally don't like the looks of the thumbhole stocked guns, they also offered the "M" with a Monte Carlo style stock.  One thing that I also think is a down grade over a standard SKS is the bolt doesn't stay open on last round on the M.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 4:02:48 AM EDT
[#4]
looking at some values, found this, did this really happen?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=530838603

better appreciation than a Colt Python...
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Thumbhole stocked SKS which takes the AK mag was the "Sporter" model that came in the early 1990's era..... definitely worth more than $300-$400.... about $500 if you can find one.

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an Sks 93 like that but it is in a standard Sks stock. Had to file out the mag area for the ak mag. Shot it today for the first time. Hits a pie plate at 100 yds all day. Came with a plastic crap stock. Still looking for a complete thumbhole original stock. Pricey! Had to put a 2" stock extension on the stock for lop.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top