Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2015 2:13:56 PM EDT

Got a new Yugo SKS.  Shoot fine but the bolt won't hold back when the last round is fired.  I'm new to SKS, so what do you guys think  is maybe causing this?  Thank.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Stock magazine or replacement.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

That's supposed to be a question and it was what I was going to ask you.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
That's supposed to be a question and it was what I was going to ask you.

stock 10rd internal magazine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Will it hold back when you pull the bolt back when it's unloaded?  Is the ejection pretty consistent?  Have you tried more than one brand of ammo?  Is it totally clear of cosmoline?
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Will it hold back when you pull the bolt back when it's unloaded?  Is the ejection pretty consistent?  Have you tried more than one brand of ammo?  Is it totally clear of cosmoline?
View Quote

Yes it will hold back if I pull the bolt.  Only shot 30rd, so not sure  about the ejection.  But it was pack with cosmoline when I got it, maybe it need more cleaning?
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes it will hold back if I pull the bolt.  Only shot 30rd, so not sure  about the ejection.  But it was pack with cosmoline when I got it, maybe it need more cleaning?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you take off the hand guard and clean the piston?

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  You think the bolt is not getting enough gas?  I will break the gun down again and give it another deep clean.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep sounds like short stroking. Break down and clean thoroughly including operating rod removal,  clean the oprod channel as well.

I would also remove gas selector valve from gas block and clean,  check for corrosion. If not maintained well in its past life the 59/66 can develop gas blowback at the valve,  sometimes requiring an oversize replacement valve.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#9]
hold open spring sometimes get weak,  theres a replacement for them,  sometimes they will seem ok manually operating bolt but with the rifle being fired.something else to look at ymmv
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
hold open spring sometimes get weak,  theres a replacement for them,  sometimes they will seem ok manually operating bolt but with the rifle being fired.something else to look at ymmv
View Quote

If I'm not mistaken that spring pulls down not push up. The rear of the mag follower pushes the stop up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken that spring pulls down not push up. The rear of the mag follower pushes the stop up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is correct.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#12]
The catch is probably gummed up with cosmo, Clean it till it moves easily up/down.

When they get gummy it can't move up fast enough under follower pressure when the rifle cycles which is waaaay faster than just pulling bolt carrier back.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The catch is probably gummed up with cosmo, Clean it till it moves easily up/down.

When they get gummy it can't move up fast enough under follower pressure when the rifle cycles which is waaaay faster than just pulling bolt carrier back.
View Quote

This is usually the problem.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Good info in the posts above,  just to add....Mineral spirits are your friend while trying to get that cosmo gone from your life forever.  Just make sure to re-oil afterwards.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top