Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/14/2015 3:45:46 AM EDT
Who has the undeniably best picatinny mount for an SKS that retains the original iron sights?
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#1]
If you go side mount, you may have a repeatable lockup, but you'll have to drill & tap the receiver.  All of the dust cover mounts have to be removed to clean the rifle, which can disturb your zero.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you go side mount, you may have a repeatable lockup, but you'll have to drill & tap the receiver.  All of the dust cover mounts have to be removed to clean the rifle, which can disturb your zero.
View Quote

Even this one? The mount is integral to the cover, and I had to file the little prongs in front till it fit in place of the old cover. It's TIGHT!

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
If it holds zero, you're good.  Simonov did not intend for his dust cover to be used as an optic mount.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Some people will tap that style of mount with a 1/4-20 tap and use a heat treated button head screw to secure it.

SKS Boards - Tapped Receiver Cover Mount

I tried it and didn't like it. I was using a funky mount that didn't have much meat on the bottom. I decided on a side mount instead & went with the Promag side mount instead of the Choate because of price and rail space. It was a frankenbuild so I didn't mind drilling/tapping the receiver.

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top