Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/8/2015 1:20:49 AM EDT
This is from the most recent batches of surplus sks's to come in.

I think i picked it up at classic arms for $330.

Finish had some dings n scuffs and the other day i was bored n decided to give it a face lift.

Started sanding it with 100 grit then slowly worked up to 240 then 400. Also took a wet towel and an iron to get some of the dings out.

Put 2 or 3 coats of a brown walnut stain on and then 2 coats of a poly semi gloss finish.

It turned out alright the stock still had some deep scuffs that you can see through the finish. Had i wanted to spend more time that could have turned out better. But other then waiting for the stain or finish to dry it only takes a few hours. Im by no means skilled at wood working, just kind of a fun project to kill a day.

The gas tube wood is still original as i was trying to match the color as beat i could to it, it will get done eventually too.

Before

After

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#1]
How do you know it's Chinese? I didn't see an arsenal mark, I'm curious only because I have one with a similar 6 digit serial number.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do you know it's Chinese? I didn't see an arsenal mark, I'm curious only because I have one with a similar 6 digit serial number.
View Quote

Sino
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#3]
That cleaned up pretty nice, the before pics looked rough.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, looks like a refinished SKS.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sino
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sino

Thanks I thought that might be it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#6]
liked it before.. now it looks like a glazed donut. Before the finish complemented the metal's patina. Now it conflicts.. which is sad.

Just my two cents.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a similar Sino-Soviet SKS from the same batch.   I am definitely leaving the stock as is, including the name carvings from the Albanians who carried it.   Very interesting SKS with the history to go with it.   No way this is going to see a belt sander.   And it is an excellent shooter.   Winner. !
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top