Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2014 2:37:05 PM EDT
I scored this SKS from a local pawn shop for $230 out the door.   All the numbers match.  

Spent a couple of hours cleaning it.  Looks like someone shot a couple hundred rounds, but never, ever cleaned it.  A bit of surface rust, but no pitting.  

My questions:

- The bolt carrier has some light rust/stain.  Is there an easy way to clean this up, or should I leave it as-is?  

- Is it normal for the stocks to have small (~0.5in) cracks?  These cracks look like they were there when the stock was originally finished.  

- Anything special about the GLNIC brand?  I can't find any GLNICs sold on Gunbroker.  

- See any problems with installing an Ebay bayonet and sling on it?  

- Blade vs. Spike bayonet - any preferences/sources?

These are EXACTLY the types of firearms I LOVE to buy.  Cheap, slightly used, no longer made, easy to service, parts available...

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Steel wool and oil for the bolt. Stock looks fine. A shit ton of folks imported SKS in the mid '80s.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
spike bayo seems more rigid.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Your stock and ferrule are made for either a spike or a blade, not both so get the one that it was made for, I bet a Spike.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The stock will be cut for either a blade or a spike bayonet.Look at the cutout on the stock to see if yours has just a slit cut out or a wider tapered cutout in the wood.

If its the thin cutout it takes a blade,if its a tapered wider cutout its a spike.The bayonets on ebay will work just be sure you get the longer one and not the paratrooper bayonet.
Also get a bayonet complete with the bolt that mounts to your bayonet lug,some take bolts and some have a fixed rivet already on the lug.

As for the carrier,get some Mothers aluminum mag wheel polish in the can.Take a rag and rub the shit out of the carrier until it turns black.

Wipe off with a clean rag,repeat until its as shiny as the day it was made.

One of mine that was a shit colored brown turd before and after

Before

After

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:00:42 AM EDT
[#5]
You got a steal for a matching numbers SKS for $230.  Congrats on the find.  As others have said, some oil and steel wool should work.  I've used that to remove some light surface rust on firearms and knives before.   I have also had good luck soaking the part in white vinegar for a few hours, loosens up the rust.  Definitely just go for an Ebay bayonet/sling, I personally prefer the blade bayonets more but get what will actually fit your stock.

As for the slight cracks in the stock, I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as the wood is sealed.  The SKS definitely isn't built for any beauty contests, but some of the dings/scratches in the wood and general rough feel of the guns adds to their character.

Overall, congrats on your new addition, and as long as you clean that bad boy up you should have many happy years with it!
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#6]
By looking at the pic your rifle should require a spike type bayonet to be "correct".
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top